Fly Fusion Forums

Get Out Your Stop Watches!!!

Folks,

I've posted this before after watching TV shows and videos, I'd suspect that most of them held their fish out of the water well over 30 seconds.

Like a friend says "Fishermen don't kill fish - cameras do!!"

catch ya'

Don

Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 49(6): 1157–1162 (1992) | doi:10.1139/f92-129 | © 1992 NRC Canada

Physiological Effects of Brief Air Exposure in Exhaustively Exercised Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): Implications for "Catch and Release" Fisheries

R. A. Ferguson and B. L. Tufts

Abstract: Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) which were air exposed for 60 s after exhaustive exercise initially had a much larger extracellular acidosis than trout which were only exercised. In both groups, however, plasma pH returned to normal by 4 h. Blood lactate concentrations were also greater in the air-exposed fish and continued to increase throughout the experiment. During air exposure, there was retention of carbon dioxide in the blood, and oxygen tension (Po2) and hemoglobin:oxygen carriage (Hb:O2) both fell by over 80%. After 30 min of recovery, however, blood gases resembled those in fish which were only exercised. Finally, survival after 12 h was 10% in control fish and 88% in the exercised fish but fell to 62 and 28% in fish which were air exposed for 30 and 60 s, respectively, after exercise. These results indicate that the brief period of air exposure which occurs in many "catch and release" fisheries is a significant additional stress which may ultimately influence whether a released fish survives.

http://rparticle.web-p.cisti.nrc.ca/rparti...mp;msno=f92-129

Sounds about right Don. As heavy leader as you can get away with and lay the boots to the fish...then let them go for another day before they are exhausted.

I haven't found a lake where I need go under 10lb fluorocarbon yet for sub-surface fishing.

Monger,

About a minute/lb. is about right. Mind you, you just gotta put a bend in the fishing pole to do it.

Don

Sounds about right. I must say.. I always wonder when I hear people say "this beauty SIXTEEN inch rainbow took me to my backing 3 times!"

What the? There's this little knob on the side of your reel...

Fly fishing for 4 years now (granted I don't get out near as much as some of you) and still haven't seen my backing a single time!