Fly Fusion Forums

Hourglass/barbell Eye Holder

kipper

Wondering if any tiers out there who paint their own eyes could give me a suggestion/idea on how they do this - I try to paint a dozen at a time but I can only do one side at a time - need some method of holding them to dry and be able to do both sides at once. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Doug.

i like tungstens idea.. kinda what i do with beeds, cones, tubes too! get a assembly line goin.. attach them too teh hooks u plan to use paint them while on your vice then hang em from a piece of styrafoam or even a old flybox stood upright...

Easy, just get an old box such as a shoe box. Cut some slots with a knife or scissors along the top open edge. Push the dumbell eyes in the slots and you have a holder for as many as you want, easy to paint both sides.

hope this makes sense.

Wondering if any tiers out there who paint their own eyes could give me a suggestion/idea on how they do this - I try to paint a dozen at a time but I can only do one side at a time - need some method of holding them to dry and be able to do both sides at once. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Doug.

Easy, just get an old box such as a shoe box. Cut some slots with a knife or scissors along the top open edge. Push the dumbell eyes in the slots and you have a holder for as many as you want, easy to paint both sides.

hope this makes sense.

I think that is what the doctor ordered, I'll do that next time.

Thanks to everyone ..I think I like Docs' idea ..it will make things a whole lot simpler. I wouldn't know where to get eyes in bulk..I have been painting eyes on them as I like giving my flies that little extra "look" and also I haven't found any "stickons" that stay in place on the hourglass eyes..which are curved. Thanks for your help.

i get the ones that fishtales sell.. they have the eyes already mounted in em! saves me alot of work!! they only come in a few colors tho so it all depends on what u are looking for!

Yeah, I've been using those ones as well and I don't think they're that much more expensive than the regular ones. I have them in red, yellow, and green. Not sure if there are more colours than those.