Fly Fusion Forums

Striping Baskets

I have one of those flip-out William Joseph ones. Keeps line from tangling in whatever may be at your feet in a boat. I use shooting heads alot, so I have alot of running line hanging around for repeat casts. Works well, I find.

Can't say I've ever saw one on the Bow.I would think they would work well and also save your fly line.

I guess the only downside is there size and probably not to comfortable for long walks.

Any thoughts?

I've used them on freshwater before (not the bow though) when in a boat, like the other guys who posted. Works great. I hate stepping on line, getting it caught in cleats etc. I do not see why not it would not decent for walking, mine is pretty light, you could always shift it to your hip for walking.

al

One consideration is how deep you regularly wade. Once you are over about mid-thigh a basket can become a pain in the butt. Once you are used to them, they can be very helpful in some situations. I only use mine on saltwater, and not all the time then, but it makes a big difference in line control at times.

I remember seeing a show with Phil,he mentioned adding a little water to the bottom of the basket while in a boat.It kept the line moist and helped with distance.

Anybody make there own?I figure i would just put a Simms sticker on it and it would look like i paid $100 for it.

I have the William Joseph one, and use it while wading. It's definitely more comfortable to walk in than a loaded fanny-pack. Just the thing if you're trying to shoot line with a full-sink.

Rick

The front of my drift boat has an area in front of the leg support that is quite useable to keep running line in while casting. Other than that I have often thought it would be a good idea but never used one.

I made mine out of a rubbermaid basket. Just added a belt, notches to hold the rod, and some anit-tangling posts on the bottom. Way cooler than the Orvis model.

Things are so much better when you make them yourself.

I've got some ideers just need a basket of some sort.