Fly Fusion Forums

Major Rod

I was poking around the thrift shop in Canmore a couple weeks ago and in a back corner I found a vintage fibreglass rod - They only wanted 10 bucks so I figured at minimum it would look nice up on the wall in my tying room.

I am curious if anyone knows any history, or a resource where I could look up a history - just as a curiousity - a friend in town here who builds bamboos told me he thinks it was from either the late 50's or 60's ( I am getting his help to revarnish it this winter - unless someone tells me that's a big mistake)

Heres what I know:

It is a fibregalss 2 piece 9" with metal ferrels, One stripping loop and the rest are snake guides

It is labeled "MAJOR ROD" with a red maple leaf beside it on the logo

It is burgandy in colour (the gloss is completely gone if it was even there when it was made)

The wraps are really cool, done with thread that alternates between white and black.(so the Black/white stripes are thick at the tip and thin at the base, neat !)

Typical sectioned cigar type handle

Hard black plastic butt end (with an aluminum cap, lock ring & slider)

Despite rummaging through all their boxes couldn't find a reel (bummer)

The other night I figures "what the heck" I walked down to the bank and tried casting with a 5,6 & 7 wt lines - the 6 worked like a charm and as a matter of fact it makes for an awesome dry presentation. I am taking it out to a lake nearby with a bunch of 2lb brookies in it, hoping I don't break it - let me know if that is a bad idea

Thanks for any info !

Pipestone. I don't have a clue about the origin of your rod. Like a lot of new technologies, when fiberglass started to beome widespread in the 50's a whole pile of small manufacturers sprang up, and large corporations would set up a little side operation to see if they could make a profit. Some of the real tackle geeks might be able to id it for you. You should be able to use the rod safely though. Just be really carefull not to rap it against anything since a lot of older rods didn't have any lateral strength in the weave. The fiberglass rods I've used all have a fairly soft action which makes it hard to get a lot of distance, but they tend to make really nice deliveries on short to medium range casts. Have fun with the old girl and treat her nice.

Pipestoneflyguy,

Got a Major spinning rod that I bought about 1954. If I recall correctly, it + a spin reel were $ 10.00. It's solid glass c/w all cork handle and slip rings. I've re-guided it once. Caught a sack of fish on it till I got my first cane fly rod 2 years later.

Fish the rod. They are a whole lot tougher than the graphite of today.

catch ya'

Don