Fly Fusion Forums

Hard Water Or "fly Rod Design Season" Begins

jack

"Hard Water Season" or as I put it: "Fly Rod Design Season" has begun.

Have any of you identified any models of fly rods that aren't "out there", that you think should be? Let me know, with as much detail as you can. Not promising anything, because a lot of factors go into producing a new model of rod, but if you have ever thought your input might be constructive, here is your chance.

Of course, anyone coming up with a viable rod configuration would obviously receive a prototype with their name on it.

Tanks, guys/men/girls/ladies.

Already on the design 'puter: 10' 4pc 4wt, 10' 4pc 6/7wt Saltwater Beach Rod, 13'6" 4pc 8wt spey.

I have always liked the design where you can shorten the rod (say from 8'6" to 7'6") but then what does that do to the wt of the rod? I don't know. You've tried to address that with your current "midge" model (whether it is truly a 3 wt or 4 wt, I'm not sure)...

P

"I have always liked the design where you can shorten the rod (say from 8'6" to 7'6") ...."

Interesting.... so what do you visualize, a 4pc, let's say 9' that you could take off the lower mid-section(#2), exchange a 1' shorter section, to make it 8' ? Essentially a 5pc rod with one piece being interchangeable?

j

More along the lines of a great "dry fly rod" that you could use on "the bow" for example and then use it on a "small creek" (which is why I suggested 8'6" to 7'6" conversion)...

P

"I have always liked the design where you can shorten the rod (say from 8'6" to 7'6") ...."

Interesting.... so what do you visualize, a 4pc, let's say 9' that you could take off the lower mid-section(#2), exchange a 1' shorter section, to make it 8' ? Essentially a 5pc rod with one piece being interchangeable?

j

The next rod I'm in the market for is a moderate action small stream stick. I have a 8'6" 4wt moderate/fast action rod that I'm using right now, and it works, but I'd like something along the lines of a Winston Boron IIt, Winston WT, Thomas & Thomas Whisper-Lite or even a bamboo. The only thing holding me back is the price point of those rods. If I could find a smooth, moderate action with quick damping in the $200-$300 range I'd be a happy camper. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I don't think there is a maker out there that produces a line of rods with specs like these. Maybe the niche is too specialized, I don't know.

To take it one step further, my dream rod would be an 8' 4wt, the blank would have a matte grey/black finish, titanium or pewter colored hardware and guides, a reverse half wells grip made of burl cork and an uplocking reel seat with a stabilized amboyna burl wood spacer.

***edited to fix my 3rd grade grammer and spelling***

Does Amundson make anything smaller then 3wt?If not, any plans for say a 0wt or 1wt?

Nope and no plans at the moment. Design and building is not an issue, producing them for a very small market is. In order to maintain a reasonable price structure, with a good warranty, there has to be a market for 100+ rods in Alberta and BC. To this point, I'm not convinced there is.

j

Another variation of my "dream rod" would be a less stealthy configuration with a honey brown blank (kind of like a medium flamed bamboo), nickle silver hardware and guides, a high grade reverse half wells grip and a tiger maple spacer.

"Midge" blank finish, Dan

Midge_Finish.gif

j

*Warning Hijack coming*

Or be like all the Mac owners in the group and say, "Macs had that feature, years ago"!! LoL <insert gay pokey thing> <--poke--<

P

I suddenly feel like I'm in a Windows 7 commercial. I can even picture myself stumbling around a river somewhere muttering "My name is Dan and the Amundson Midge rod was my idea..."

I suddenly feel like I'm in a Windows 7 commercial. I can even picture myself stumbling around a river somewhere muttering "My name is Dan and the Amundson Midge rod was my idea..."

Interestingly enough Dan, I just happen to be raffling a Midge rod for my cancer fundraiser. Good cause and a chance at the rod you "designed"

Personally, from what I've read and seen Loop was really onto something with the design of their AEG rods and I really wish I could get a hold of one. I really like the idea of a backpackable rod made to be incredibly durable and also cast well. I think the idea of a cork composite grip, or something similar, too increase grip and durability when fishing in less than ideal situations is a great idea. I also like the idea of the two coated stripping guides. I think the biggest thing though, is making something like this affordable and durable. It should be a person's battle axe. Cut costs by doing things like making the blank just a flat black, green, or even merlot. Cut down on fancier adornments and use more durable heavy duty reel seats, locks, etc. that also look good with an overall stripped down design. I imagine something like this mostly coming in the 5-10 weight range, but a smaller rod would be nice too. I imagine the rod also being a bit on the stiffer side, but still being able to throw dries fairly well and with a relaxed medium fast action. I want a rod in the $300-ish price range that could be an absolute work horse. I want to fish it if it's snowing or raining or scorching out and not have to worry about a damn thing. I want a rod that could be left out in the sun on the dashboard in case I happen to drive past some water.

I would like to see someone make a tank that is actually a good rod and fun to cast.

WARNING: you will probably think this is kind of dumb, but...

my idea that I have never had time or rods to test this on, would be a rod designed for fishing at low temperatures that applies a small current through the guides to prevent icing. I wouldn't buy one though as I don't fish much in the winter.

WARNING: you will probably think this is kind of dumb, but...

my idea that I have never had time or rods to test this on, would be a rod designed for fishing at low temperatures that applies a small current through the guides to prevent icing. I wouldn't buy one though as I don't fish much in the winter.

Ya and a solar panel on your hat to power it and your heated boots.LOL.

Jonny not a bad idea theres lots of fishing nuts out there that would buy such a thing.Jack when can you have them ready?

"I think the idea of a cork composite grip, or something similar, too increase grip and durability when fishing in less than ideal situations is a great idea."

The composite grip is absolutely the best thing to come along in awhile. Not only increases durability, it gets away from the increasingly cruddy cork that is available. AAAA cork is woth it's weight in gold, now.

j