Fly Fusion Forums

3 Wt Reel Inquiry

ÜberFly

So I am saving up for a 3 wt next year and have been researching reels.. I want to keep it quite light weight (4 oz or under for the reel) at the same time retain a large arbor design... So here are my observations relating to saving a few oz/grams... I notice with most manufacturers within a particular model, will suite a range of line weights, i.e., 1 - 3, 3 - 5, etc. (taking into account the capacity will be effected as the 3 - 5 would have a slightly larger backing/line capacity, but at a slightly higher weight - which I know is an issue with some manufactures, i.e. Orvis). So do I look at getting a reel (presuming same model here) in the 1 - 3 range or the 3 - 5 range to save a few oz/grams? The obvious flaw is that I might purchase the reel prior to the rod so this inquiry would be separate from the rod's overall balance...

P

I like the reel to be balanced with my rod, but I always try a reel on a rod in the shop anyways, so am normally more concerned as to the backing capacity, the quality and reliability of the drag and the cost of spare spools or cartridges to ease line switching. This usually means hands on buying rather than shopping online to save an extra few pennies.

You never asked about brands but I like to buy good quality as well and I do like the Islander products but have been eyeballing Snow-Bee's new GEO or their XDS cartridge reel for my wife's rod.

We are both right-handers only and for any reel we buy it must be thus.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I LOVE the sage click reel! light weight looks great and the drag is painfully simple. I have got some large (3-4 lb gerrard rainbow)with this reel and was never worried about breaking off from a drag issue.

just my 2c

I guess I didn't want to complicate things by listing specific manufactures (as with opinions on rods, I'm sure most have opinions/preferences on reel manufactures). I'm also aware that the fact that I'm looking for reels at 4 oz (or lighter) limits the options... That being said, I am not weathy by any means so would want to be conscious of cost (again further limiting my options)...

So nebc, your suggestion/opinion is to for-go the (slight) weight advantage for backing/line cap., quality of drag, etc.

Thanks for your input.

P

I like the reel to be balanced with my rod, but I always try a reel on a rod in the shop anyways, so am normally more concerned as to the backing capacity, the quality and reliability of the drag and the cost of spare spools or cartridges to ease line switching. This usually means hands on buying rather than shopping online to save an extra few pennies.

You never asked about brands but I like to buy good quality as well and I do like the Islander products but have been eyeballing Snow-Bee's new GEO or their XDS cartridge reel for my wife's rod.

We are both right-handers only and for any reel we buy it must be thus.

Depends where you plan on using the rod and the amount of backing capacity you anticipate that you will need.

Smaller creeks you could get away with limited backing, whereas, the bow you may want to have more where the fish have more room to run...once you decide on that, it should help narrow down your options.

Good point... Dedicated "small creek" only kit (so 7' - 7'6" rod - again knowing that not having/casted the rod is a whole other complication).

P

Depends where you plan on using the rod and the amount of backing capacity you anticipate that you will need.

Smaller creeks you could get away with limited backing, whereas, the bow you may want to have more where the fish have more room to run...once you decide on that, it should help narrow down your options.

I used my 7'6 3wt with a reel that is a 2/3 3.91 oz 2.75 diameter on the Crow and other smaller rivers and creeks and the only time I met my backing was when a 27" Bull took my dry on the Highwood. All other times the reel handled the fish without issue. The 3/4 is 4.16oz with a 3.00 diameter so really the extra few oz's won't be to bad.

I love the balance of my setup and the reel was $300.00 and worth every nickle.

PM me for brand names :ph34r:

Thanks Chris!

P

I used my 7'6 3wt with a reel that is a 2/3 3.91 oz 2.75 diameter on the Crow and other smaller rivers and creeks and the only time I met my backing was when a 27" Bull took my dry on the Highwood. All other times the reel handled the fish without issue. The 3/4 is 4.16oz with a 3.00 diameter so really the extra few oz's won't be to bad.

Between a rock and a hard place. To me, for a small stream 3wt, a disc drag is unnecessary, but, most large arbors have disc drags(meaning extra weight). For all-out quality Islander IR1 is a great reel, 2/3 wt, 3.3 oz, but small arbor. The green ones are sure nice:

reel_ir1gn.thumb.jpg

but, (again) $340 or so may not be possible to rationalize. Definitely need a "non-bling" look for small streams.

j

Thanks Jack & Dustin!

P

I recently purchased a Sage 3200 Click Series reel for my 3 wt and am very happy with it. It only weighs 3.125 ounces and has a large arbour design. They're on sale at www.redtruckflyfishing.com

I guess I didn't want to complicate things by listing specific manufactures (as with opinions on rods, I'm sure most have opinions/preferences on reel manufactures). I'm also aware that the fact that I'm looking for reels at 4 oz (or lighter) limits the options... That being said, I am not weathy by any means so would want to be conscious of cost (again further limiting my options)...

So nebc, your suggestion/opinion is to for-go the (slight) weight advantage for backing/line cap., quality of drag, etc.

Thanks for your input.

P

Someone nailed iton the nose below. It depends on where you intend to fish with it. I assumed using a 3 weight you are not after monster rainbow, so maximum backing capacity might not be a bg issue. For me it certainly is.

There are some great buys on right now. On another forum a person pointed out that the FishnHole has a sale on Pfleuger Trion reels. Heavier than what you are telling us but at $99 and a decent drag might not be too bad.

Posts here mentioned the Sage reels. I like them as well as the islander lx3.8, the loomis 7.8 both seem however to be above your price point which was why I started to mention brands.

I used my 7'6 3wt with a reel that is a 2/3 3.91 oz 2.75 diameter on the Crow and other smaller rivers and creeks and the only time I met my backing was when a 27" Bull took my dry on the Highwood. All other times the reel handled the fish without issue.

Exactly. I don't know why so many people think they need huge drag and tons of backing for trout fishing. I use a Hardy LRH Lightweight for dry fly fishing on the Bow with about 50 yards of backing and just enough drag to keep from backspooling. I've yet to see my backing even when taking large rainbows on 5X tippet. When I use my 2wt I'd say I strip the line in by hand rather than putting fish on the reel 95% of the time.

For my short 3 weight I use the Danielsson Midge.

No drag, but who needs drag on a 3 weight.

I cut back the running line as I am not throwing 90 feet casts with it and spooled some Gel Spun Backing on it, just in case.

It matches very nice wit all the very light rods.

Dank u!

For my short 3 weight I use the Danielsson Midge.

No drag, but who needs drag on a 3 weight.

I cut back the running line as I am not throwing 90 feet casts with it and spooled some Gel Spun Backing on it, just in case.

It matches very nice wit all the very light rods.

I think I know that reel.....I love mine.

Save as much money as you can. I have numerous light weight reels, and I can't remember the last time they've seen the backing. Find something light...you don't need no $300 reel for a 3 wt on small creeks. If you want to spend $ (nothing wrong with that...seriously...I like nice gear too), look at a hardy light weight, or Islander IR . To save money, go check out FishTales and see some of the reels under $200.