Fly Fusion Forums

Ordering Flies

I order from Ickyflyworks and am very happy (satisfied) with the service, prices, speed of delivery, etc. Quality has been inconsistent, but Ben has always tried to compensate (replaces flies that I've found to be REALLY poor). To qualify this statement, I know going into this situation that the quality will NEVER be as good as professionally tied flies and fully accept this... Also, he doesn't offer the variety as some, but again I accept this...

P

where do people order flies from, what company is reliable and fast?? i looked at reelflies.com and was told they are good and supply nice quality flies...

any info would be great..

Guest Sundancefisher
I order from Ickyflyworks and am very happy (satisfied) with the service, prices, speed of delivery, etc. Quality has been inconsistent, but Ben has always tried to compensate (replaces flies that I've found to be REALLY poor). To qualify this statement, I know going into this situation that the quality will NEVER be as good as professionally tied flies and fully accept this... Also, he doesn't offer the variety as some, but again I accept this...

P

I find most flies you buy have not used head cement for longer durability. Does this guy use head cement?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what do you mean not the cheapest! $6.00 for 1 dz prince nymphs most other nymphs are $7/dz!!!! im down with 50-70c/fly and helping buys who got injured protecting freedoms.

It not so much the tying quality of most commercial flies that frosts my wagon, but the quality of the hooks. I mostly tie my own, but occasionally need something and end up buying from shops. Nearly every time, the hooks have straightened out on any half-way serious fish, the latest being a batch of #14 backswimmers from Fish Tales that kept straightening out even though I was using 4X.

This has me wondering: do the shops have any wholesale suppliers available that don't use crappy hooks? 'Cause I've starting to think that the best tier in the world is a 90lb, hunchbacked Indonesian woman, all of who's products are fatally flawed.

Guest Sundancefisher
Any flies that I buy, I get from Precision Fly & Tackle in Puyallup, Wash.

http://www.precisionflyandtackle.ecrater.com/

It's a group of medically discharged military vets who produce flies as a group. No the cheapest, but they are quality stuff and very durable.

j

Their prices look pretty reasonable to me :-) even with Canada Shipping.

No he doesn't, and yes head cement would be required!

I think I have a solution for this:

1. Purchase flies

2. Purchase bottle of head cement

3. Apply head cement to purchased flies

4. Lose fly on bottom/fish/tree long before it would've fallen apart without the head cement :lol:

I think I have a solution for this:

1. Purchase flies

2. Purchase bottle of head cement

3. Apply head cement to purchased flies

4. Lose fly on bottom/fish/tree long before it would've fallen apart without the head cement :lol:

Whoa, whoa, WHOA. You're being far too logical headscan!

I echo what fishfreak says. I've used both and really like both. Bought direct from Glenn a couple of times and ordered a few times from Icky. Very, very fast shipping. Will use both again.

I do like the idea of the vets though. I'm sure I'll order from them this year as well.