Fly Fusion Forums

Is This Guy Worth 1/2 Million/yr + Bonus?

Folks,

Below are excepts from a story done by CBC on the speech Duckett made Monday.

I copied and pasted what I "think" is pertinent.

The big question is: Should he be fired?

Don

A vaccine shortage forced Alberta to abruptly suspend its clinics Saturday. Health-care workers were also overwhelmed, Stephen Duckett, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services, said Monday.

Duckett said that when clinics reopen, they will initially only serve priority groups. Those people wanting the H1N1 shot will have to show ID to prove their age, and prescription drug containers to establish chronic health conditions. Details of the clinics reopening will be released Tuesday.

Duckett apologized again on Monday for the long lineups at clinics in the past week but said he would change little if given the chance. The clinics were initially intended for only high-risk groups, but when the general population began showing up in the lineups, health workers couldn't do impromptu screenings, he said.

Albertans will have to prove they belong to priority groups to get their H1N1 vaccinations when the province's clinics reopen.

A vaccine shortage forced Alberta to abruptly suspend its clinics Saturday. Health-care workers were also overwhelmed, Stephen Duckett, president and CEO of Alberta Health Services, said Monday.

Alberta Health urges these groups to be immunized:

* Pregnant women.

* Children six months to less than five years of age.

* People under 65 with chronic health conditions.

* People living in remote and isolated settings or communities.

* Health-care workers involved in pandemic response or the delivery of essential health-care services.

* People who have contact with people who are at high risk but who cannot be immunized or might not respond to vaccines.

Hours-long lineups clogged Calgary's five clinics last week. Alberta did not limit the vaccination to high-risk groups, including pregnant women, young children, people under 65 with chronic health conditions, as other provinces did.

Duckett said that when clinics reopen, they will initially only serve priority groups. Those people wanting the H1N1 shot will have to show ID to prove their age, and prescription drug containers to establish chronic health conditions. Details of the clinics reopening will be released Tuesday.

About 190,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine remain in Alberta, he said. Provinces are receiving more shipments next week, but final numbers have not yet been confirmed.

Manufacturers are slowing down deliveries to focus on producing adjuvant-free doses for pregnant women.

"During the next two weeks, we will refocus our efforts on vaccinating only those at high risk. And over the next two months, as our vaccine supply increases, we will fulfil our obligation to vaccinate all Albertans that so choose," Alberta Health Minister Ron Liepert said in the legislature on Monday.

Alberta Health Minister Ron Liepert, left, Dr. Andre Corriveau, the chief medical officer of health, centre, and Premier Ed Stelmach meet on Monday. Alberta Health Minister Ron Liepert, left, Dr. Andre Corriveau, the chief medical officer of health, centre, and Premier Ed Stelmach meet on Monday. (Government of Alberta)

"That is a commitment that this government has made and it will stand by."

Liepert has come under fire for Alberta's H1N1 immunization program, with Alberta Liberal Leader David Swann calling for the minister's resignation or dismissal on Sunday.

Liepert did not say much to reporters after he was summoned to a meeting with the premier and chief health officer on Monday morning.

He said Premier Ed Stelmach was simply looking for an update.

Official explains rollout

Duckett apologized again on Monday for the long lineups at clinics in the past week but said he would change little if given the chance. The clinics were initially intended for only high-risk groups, but when the general population began showing up in the lineups, health workers couldn't do impromptu screenings, he said.

'How do you tell whether someone has a chronic condition, in the open air, with no privacy, at the start of a huge lineup?'— Stephen Duckett, Alberta Health Services

"How would you assess people who didn't come with evidence that they had a chronic condition? How do you tell whether someone has a chronic condition, in the open air, with no privacy, at the start of a huge lineup?"

Not screening everyone also allowed the lines to move more quickly and avoided confrontations between health-care workers and the people accompanying a high-risk friend or relative who were also seeking the shot, he added.

Calgary Liberal MLA Dave Taylor dismissed Duckett's explanation.

"If privacy issues were a concern, why not make vaccines available to family doctors in their general practices to inoculate their own patients?" Taylor asked.

14 H1N1-related deaths in Alberta

Duckett said he's pleased 372,000 Albertans have been inoculated so far.

Dr. André Corriveau, Alberta's chief health officer, said no one died of the swine flu on the weekend, but 24 more people were hospitalized.

So far, 14 people have died in Alberta after contracting swine flu and nearly 300 people have been hospitalized.

Over the course of a normal flu season, one in 10 adults and one in three children will catch the flu.

Health Canada says between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians — mostly seniors — die from pneumonia related to flu and many others may die from other serious complications of flu.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the MEDIA should be fired for whipping up everyone in a panic over this flu. I believe it was you Don who said:

"The trouble with common sense is, IT AINT COMMON ENOUGH' . This flu IS NOT the highly deadly Ebola virus, depite what the media would have us believe.

To answer your intial question Don, is NO! He is not worth the $ and he should be fired along with Stelmach, Lipert and the entire cabinet (from someone that didn't vote for the PCs and that has worked for the former CHR and who's partners currently works for the AHS - gong show)... But that's just one persons opinion, which is not going to make any difference whats so ever!

Cheers,

P

I have heard so many diffrent stories about this I almost do not know what to belive anymore.

But I think with what has happened over the last couple of days some heads should roll and even though I am a "Reform" I do not care one little bit with our current Provical goverment and City Goverment, I think both groups need to do some overhauling and bring in some new blood with some new fresh ideas cause right now everything is stale and going nowhere.

I think Raulph, even with all of his mistakes, still did a better job then the yahoo's that are now in office.

I have also heard the reason why we do not have enough of the vaccine is cause our steller goverment sold alot of it to other countries such as the USA, don't know if this is true or not but that is what I have heard.

I think Raulph, even with all of his mistakes, still did a better job then the yahoo's that are now in office.

Well "Raulph" is the one that gutted the Alberta Health system and you could call him the grandfather of failure when it comes to our health system here in Alberta.

Don't you find it odd that Klein is taking the odd chip shot at the Stelmach government, and Stelmach personally? It is a feeble attempt of him washing his hands of the whole thing.

Well "Raulph" is the one that gutted the Alberta Health system and you could call him the grandfather of failure when it comes to our health system here in Alberta.

Personally I think our health system is alot better then anywhere else, ever delt with the HMO's in the USA?????

I find that people that are born in raised in Canada expect certain things when it comes to Health Care, and I agree with them, but to say our health care has gone down the shitter is a bit too much, try the health care system in the USA where if you got money you got health care if you don't its off to the public hospitials which are overcrowed the staff is way over worked.

And to top it off even if you have Health Issurance in the USA then the HMO's do everything in their power to deniie your claim and make the indiviual pay for it.

Still think Alberta's health Care System sucks?????? At least it is a thousand times better then anywhere in the states.

and for Klien taking shots at Stelmach, well you are going to tell me that Stelmach doesn't deserve it? I will admit I do not know alot about politics but I can diffently see that our current goverment is a fish out of bowel with no clear line in what they are wanting to do, all I can see from our current goverment is damage control over their own mistakes just so they can get the votes they need, I wouldn't be surprised one bit that come the election the Wild Rose Party wins, oh by the way, Alberta has not had a good goverment since the days of Preston Manning, in my own opion.

I read in today's Calgary Herald, that the Flames had their own private vaccination clinic on Friday. So there you go folks, the government has added a new group to the high risk category -- overpaid athletes. Unbelievable :curse: . Terry

Never said it sucks bhurt, but it does have some very serious problems that simply make the status quo unsustainable for my children.

Seems to me it has gotten progressively worse since Klein did his massive budget cuts back in the late 1990's- no real plan on how to fix it.

Canadensis, and you're suprised by that?! It's a typical politician move - pass the buck!! No surprises what-so-ever (hey we agree on something else ;-)!

Terry, tell me you are not suprised by that, either?! We have a two teired system!! Anyone that can afford it, pays for it!! Do you think Stelmach, etc. stood in line! If Gretzky (or any other athlete, for that matter) needs a hip operation, where are they going?! The Mayo clinic, you can be sure!!

Brad, yes I have expereinced an HMO (lived in the States for 3 years)... Our system is a great system, don't get me wrong, but it's not perfect (obviously), and it's better for some over others!

P

I read in today's Calgary Herald, that the Flames had their own private vaccination clinic on Friday. So there you go folks, the government has added a new group to the high risk category -- overpaid athletes. Unbelievable :curse: . Terry

Don't get me wrong I agree that we need some improvment over our health care system, but for the last couple of days I hear people talking about how bad our health system is, which in compairing it to the rest of the world, I think it is pretty good, could it be better, sure but I think its not as bad as what people make it out to be, espically if they never had to use health care in another country (I can only speak for the USA as that is the only one I have ever experince other then Alberta)

cana.....

Okay so I might of misiturpataded what you said but please explain what you mean by Well "Raulph" is the one that gutted the Alberta Health

When I hear the word gutted that implies to me to run it down to the bare min. and make it worst then what it was to begin with. I lived in Canada since 88 and I find the health care system very good compared to the southern states where I grew up. I also understand what you are talking about when in reference to your kids but just think about the rest of the world and how their kids are, think our system is bad now????????????

When I hear the word gutted that implies to me to run it down to the bare min. and make it worst then what it was to begin with. I lived in Canada since 88 and I find the health care system very good compared to the southern states where I grew up. I also understand what you are talking about when in reference to your kids but just think about the rest of the world and how their kids are, think our system is bad now????????????

bhurt talk to someone that has worked in a Calgary hospital for the past 20 years or so, frontline like a Doc or Nurse. It is pretty bad here and only getting worse. And as far as the rest of the world comment, we pay higher taxes than the majority of the world. Seems that there are a few socialized countries with a similar tax structure to Canada that have a better handle on health care. Me expecting more when I pay near 50% of my income to taxes is not unrealistic. It is not a money issue, it is a leadership/management issue.

With an aging population health care is only going to become a bigger stress on the system. And then there is long term care for an aging population, another issue in alberta that has been taking a back seat.

Damn right he gutted it!! Way too many cuts,. but the key to why those cuts (negatively) impacted the system as much as they did was that they were done too fast (when Dinning and his crew were getting millions of $ in wages and then buy outs, bonuses, etc.)! Then to make himself look good he announced that there was all this surplus $ towards the end of his life (which is only relfective of how much he cut - it was not new $)... Then they cut out the premiums and look where we are now!!

P

Don't get me wrong I agree that we need some improvment over our health care system, but for the last couple of days I hear people talking about how bad our health system is, which in compairing it to the rest of the world, I think it is pretty good, could it be better, sure but I think its not as bad as what people make it out to be, espically if they never had to use health care in another country (I can only speak for the USA as that is the only one I have ever experince other then Alberta)

cana.....

Okay so I might of misiturpataded what you said but please explain what you mean by Well "Raulph" is the one that gutted the Alberta Health

Cana.....

Not all of our taxes go to Health Care, the vast majority of our taxes don't even stay within alberta, so why not complain to the Fedural goverment who has been stealing the majority of our taxes for years and years and years....

My whole point is that I am not saying our health care isn't bad, but it is much worst in other parts of the world then here, and that is simple facts.

I just had a friend in the USA that broke his leg, the HMO's wouldn't cover him and it cost him close 8 thousand to get into a hospital that would look at the broken leg right away, otherwise he would of had to wait over 4 hours in a public hospital. How would you like to face something like that with one of your kids?

Wow only 4 hours!! After a mtn bike crash a few years back, I had to wait a lot longer then 4 hours!!

P

P.S. A word to the wise... Next time any of you have to go to the ER for whatever reason, make sure you tell them you are experiencing "chest pain" and you'll go to the front of the line (not at all ethical, I realize ;))

Cana.....

Not all of our taxes go to Health Care, the vast majority of our taxes don't even stay within alberta, so why not complain to the Fedural goverment who has been stealing the majority of our taxes for years and years and years....

My whole point is that I am not saying our health care isn't bad, but it is much worst in other parts of the world then here, and that is simple facts.

I just had a friend in the USA that broke his leg, the HMO's wouldn't cover him and it cost him close 8 thousand to get into a hospital that would look at the broken leg right away, otherwise he would of had to wait over 4 hours in a public hospital. How would you like to face something like that with one of your kids?

...........P.S. A word to the wise... Next time any of you have to go to the ER for whatever reason, make sure you tell them you are experiencing "chest pain" and you'll go to the front of the line (not at all ethical, I realize ;))

Great idea, except you could end up with a quadruple bypass instead of a cast on your broken leg. :lol: Terry

Klein cut Nursing staff and healthcare funding in the 90's, and only so recently proposed the 'Third Way' system...... a system along the same lines as the one you had in the states.

Cana.....

bhurt,

I could really care less about the US health system. I live and pay taxes here in Alberta. And because of what you describe above I would not move to the US if given the option. I really don`t understand your point of `well you should see how health care is in other parts of the world`

I also do my fair share of complaining through letter writing and how I vote.

What point are you trying to get across?

Well it looks like it was Alberta Health Services that set up this "Private" clinic. It would have been somewhat more palatable if the club procured the vaccine on their own and had their own medical staff administer the vaccine. This is just wrong on so many levels.

Flames players and their families get H1N1 shots

Updated: Tue Nov. 03 2009 12:26:51

ctvcalgary.ca

While Albertans were waiting in line for hours to get their H1N1 vaccination, the Calgary Flames received theirs at a clinic set up just for the team.

On Tuesday, the president of the hockey revealed the players and their families received their shots at a private location last week.

Ken King says the organization contacted Alberta Health Services and requested the clinic.

King says he has taken some heat but stands by the decision. He says given the risks associated with their sport and the amount of travel the players do it was necessary to get the players vaccinated against H1N1 as efficiently as possible.

Full story here

He says given the risks associated with their sport and the amount of travel the players do it was necessary to get the players vaccinated against H1N1 as efficiently as possible.

Absoulute f'in bullshit!!!! This is what he really meant to say “given the risks associated with losing a player and the amount of revenue the players generate, it was necessary to get the players vaccinated against H1N1 as efficiently as possible in order to prevent any loss of profits to the club."

What a crock - if this gets hits the media hard I'll guarentee protesters on the Legislature grounds soon.

So the only clinics that I am aware of that allowed jumping the queue were for the homeless at the drop in center and the one the Calgary Flames had for the players, staff and families?

Funny how that works? Yet the people considered "high risk" by medical definition had to line up for hours only to be now snubbed by Alberta Health, albiet temporarily. Thankfully we had enough vaccine to get the Flames vaccinated....

Personally I think our health system is alot better then anywhere else, ever delt with the HMO's in the USA?????

I find that people that are born in raised in Canada expect certain things when it comes to Health Care, and I agree with them, but to say our health care has gone down the shitter is a bit too much, try the health care system in the USA where if you got money you got health care if you don't its off to the public hospitials which are overcrowed the staff is way over worked.

And to top it off even if you have Health Issurance in the USA then the HMO's do everything in their power to deniie your claim and make the indiviual pay for it.

Still think Alberta's health Care System sucks?????? At least it is a thousand times better then anywhere in the states.

and for Klien taking shots at Stelmach, well you are going to tell me that Stelmach doesn't deserve it? I will admit I do not know alot about politics but I can diffently see that our current goverment is a fish out of bowel with no clear line in what they are wanting to do, all I can see from our current goverment is damage control over their own mistakes just so they can get the votes they need, I wouldn't be surprised one bit that come the election the Wild Rose Party wins, oh by the way, Alberta has not had a good goverment since the days of Preston Manning, in my own opion.

I have lived in the USA for the last 10 years. You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to USA health care. You are making stuff up. My health care in the USA is much much better than any care offered in Canada. What you don't realise is that the Provincial governments are HMO's. They decide what cancer drugs are offered based on statistical data.

I have lived in the USA for the last 10 years. You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to USA health care. You are making stuff up. My health care in the USA is much much better than any care offered in Canada. What you don't realise is that the Provincial governments are HMO's. They decide what cancer drugs are offered based on statistical data.

You are both right.

Perception of quality varies by customer.

If you are an unemployed, shiftless, pot smoking bellyacher with no visible means of support, limited skills, and below average intelligence then you would probably think Canada's healthcare system is better. If, on the other hand, you have a job, pay taxes, and feel some degree of responsibility for your own welfare, then you might prefer the system available south of the border.

If people spent a fraction of the time they spend complaining about healthcare, exercising and eating nutritiously, there would be no healthcare issues. Hospitals would have the resources to deal with people who have issues despite the lifestyle they lead instead of those who have issues directly resulting from the lifestyle they lead.

If you need someone to blame about the state of healthcare in North America, put down the potato chips and look in the mirror.

Postscript - Benito. I was not in anyway referring to anyone in the forum with my description, although some may feel strongly that the description matches them perfectly. I can assure you this is a coincidence. No need to remove this post.