Fly Fusion Forums

More Big Rainbows

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher
I caught that bigger one yesterday.picture removed to protect fly confidentiality

Hard to tell how big that fish is given you have such scrawny legs...kinda like a chicken <--poke--<

Guest Sundancefisher
HEy Chaparral finally ponied up and got 100 of those pigs SOOO much fun

right on.

Our only hope is that they last the hordes of bait fishermen. Have you guys got your limits reduced yet at Chap? 1 a day is plenty. How about monger and I head over and show you how to properly catch them all?

Here is another cute little fella...

post-1649-1256443434.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
Jezzzuzzzz. they still biting out there. Do you know when they will take the boats away? I need to get out there.

don't bother fishing not very fun.

post-1649-1256493713.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher

This is a boring fish still around since the Spring...

A big benefit of reducing the limits in Sundance from 4 to 1 a day, 6 per month, 24 per year...is that we prolong harvest and allow for an excellent fishery...while still allowing those that want a couple to eat to have a nice meal (however muddy tasting).

Please meet our May stocking :-)

post-1649-1256493824.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
I caught that big fish in your first post again today. They are fighting better every day.

You see Rick....exercising the trout makes them stronger.

I bought them some exercise equipment.

I bought the fish a "fly master" for tails and fins and a "Total Lake Gym with elliptical swimming training" for added measure.

They put in a full workout today :goodvsevil():

I bought them some exercise equipment.

I bought the fish a "fly master" for tails and fins and a "Total Lake Gym with elliptical swimming training" for added measure.

They put in a full workout today :goodvsevil():

Is there any evidence that these trout are eating Perch?

I am sure there is evidence that people are eating these trout..

Guest Sundancefisher
Is there any evidence that these trout are eating Perch?

I am sure there is evidence that people are eating these trout..

I would like to stomach content a few...but they are too much fun to kill. Also it is hit or miss if their last meal was a perch. With 32000 perch gone from the lake there are a ton more shrimp for the beasts to eat. Last trout stomach pumped just had shrimp.

I would have to estimate that the majority of the perch that are eaten will be during their larval stage in the Spring. Then up to about 1 inch...maybe two inches they will be targetted also. Perch are poor swimmer and an easier target...such that without spines they would be heavily preyed upon.

One benefit that was over looked is the stress that the large fish put on the perch out of fear of being eaten. It may cause them to be more concentrated in the middle of the lake and maybe disturb their spawning behavoir in the Spring.

Time will tell but predation is just one piece of a more complicated perch management strategy.

1. Predation by fish

2. Predation by birds

3. Predation by people via angling and netting

4. Egg removal

No chap is still 4 a day and i have seen a stringer this year with 40 pounds of fish on it and the guy procliaimed hes never cleaned a fish before soooo im not gonna say he threw them out but.......It dosen't really piss me off cuz that is what the lake is there for catch and take they will put more in in the spring but i agree four fish is to many. The lake staff is getting a lot of positive response from the residents for stocking huge fish so i'm hoping it will turn their attentions to better management of the fishing in the lake for the most part it goes un monitored. If your talk to the average person who fishes the lake most leave catching nothing i think that the lake is severly understocked.

Guest Sundancefisher
No chap is still 4 a day and i have seen a stringer this year with 40 pounds of fish on it and the guy procliaimed hes never cleaned a fish before soooo im not gonna say he threw them out but.......It dosen't really piss me off cuz that is what the lake is there for catch and take they will put more in in the spring but i agree four fish is to many. The lake staff is getting a lot of positive response from the residents for stocking huge fish so i'm hoping it will turn their attentions to better management of the fishing in the lake for the most part it goes un monitored. If your talk to the average person who fishes the lake most leave catching nothing i think that the lake is severly understocked.

Chaparral should be able to support about 8000 to 10000 trout for its size and lack of other fish species based upon standard stocking formulas. I would say they are very understocked. I would email Genstar and request that they stock 8000 rainbows 12-16 inches. Then lower the limit to 1 a day, 6 per month and 24 per year. This number seems to be successful for us. Then they can supplement the stocking in the fall with large trout and in the Spring with 3-10 pounders. That should give a range of sizes as well as suitable numbers for a quality catch rate. While you and I did well...it seemed concentrated in one area and there did not seem to be enough fish given the nice clean clear water...

Without getting people to request a change to this problem as well as an effective management solution...nothing will change.

Cheers

Sun