Fly Fusion Forums

Close Up

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I think one of Pentax WXX series' strength is extreme macro. However, it takes some shots to get it right.

• Often you need more light than you think. Use extra light source, like soft flash, table lamp, etc.
  • Be sure to support your hands, as small movements will blur the photos.
  • The closer you are to the subject and longer the lens (zoom in), the more it throws out of focus the background.
  • Check that when you push half-way the exposition button, the focus limiter changes to green, then push the button all the way down.

Sorry, if this all obvious for you. Keep on trying because these are great point-and-shoot cameras.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

this is with the 1cm macro setting and just a desk lamp. ideally i will be making a photo booth for my fly shots so i can control the lighting and back ground better.

The W80s lens sits side ways in the body and refracts of a mirror so that does eat up allot of light and next time i will be using my min tripod.

the only part that is in focus is the peacock hearl and the 1 soft hacle (the image was also 4000 pix wide so it got really shrunk down for the net.)

this is with the 1cm macro setting and just a desk lamp. ideally i will be making a photo booth for my fly shots so i can control the lighting and back ground better.

The W80s lens sits side ways in the body and refracts of a mirror so that does eat up allot of light and next time i will be using my min tripod.

the only part that is in focus is the peacock hearl and the 1 soft hacle (the image was also 4000 pix wide so it got really shrunk down for the net.)

Yep, that is the beauty of the 1cm macro, very shallow DOF. You could also try normal macro with full optical zoom on.

That is right. When i take outdoor macros with this P&S, often the body (housing) drops shadow on the subject, so I need change position or change to normal macro and move farther.

420FLYFISHIN

You might find this useful. The ring light can be purchased at Crappy Tire or Wally World for about $10. Test the white balance. MUST use a tripod...even with your P&S..it will have a ¼-inch threaded slot in the bottom. Can't emphasize the tripod enough no matter how bright your lighting. Allows for critical focusing and composition and reduces shake...even of the camera has anti-shake feature.

Cheers

Clive

flyrig.jpg

These show more detail on how the ring light was adapted for flies. Basically have to add about 1 m extra of wiring..see pictures. Really works very well for a $10 photography light.

Clive

lightsetup3-0.jpg

lightsplicing-0.jpg

light_fly-0.jpg

ringlightstand-0.jpg

That is an old lab clamp..you could also use something like this....

189640_lg.jpg

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i like the hoop light! This was mainly just some DOF work but all this new info will be put to some good use in my photo booth that i am going to build.

any one else got some good macro fly shots?