Fly Fusion Forums

Question

genn

so a bit of a simple question but i am slow. is the rod size (wt) or length chosen for the size of fly or fish or both? i am looking at rods for the bow and was wanting to go as light as i could with still being practical. i am wanting to use it for mainly streamers. thanks

I'd match the rod more for the size of fish. There are more 4, 5, and 6wt two-handed rods coming out for trout fishing like the Dec Hogan Echo series, TFO Deer Creeks, and Sage Z-Axis (pricey). One thing I've learned is that if I fish a skagit setup with sink tips I can tie streamers with little or no weight to them and instead use different sink tips to control my fly depth, so the size of the fly isn't as much of a concern.

I think you need to decide on what rod to buy depending on size of fish and then flies. On the bow i usually fish a streamer from 2-5 inches. On the bow i fish an 11'6 6/7 wt... i think this is a good weight to toss nymph rigs and streamers on the bow. Check out some of the switch rods on the market, I think they are the perfect tool for the bow.

I'm no expert and makers aside I started out with a 12.6 ft 6 wt fishing the Bow doubled handed now I'm using a 12.5ft 4/5/6 which is a honey rod that throws nymph rigs streamers and skates dries. A lot of it is choosing good lines. I use wind cutters, Scandinavians and Skagit depending on the situation and what I am throwing. There is a lot of room to move in the Spey market. You should try to get out for one of the gatherings to see different rods and lined combos.

its coudl all be up too you! if your into a trout thing mainly or 100% i would say a 6 or 7 wt in the 11-12 1/2 range! skagit will tosss tips and streamers more easily than other lines! keep the questions coming and we wil do our best too help! my favorite bow stick is a 11' 6" 7wt but i used a 12' 6wt too start off.. also owned a 13' 4 " 6wt wich was fun too! 8wts and higher are typicaly more steelhead and salmong rods!

its coudl all be up too you! if your into a trout thing mainly or 100% i would say a 6 or 7 wt in the 11-12 1/2 range! skagit will tosss tips and streamers more easily than other lines! keep the questions coming and we wil do our best too help! my favorite bow stick is a 11' 6" 7wt but i used a 12' 6wt too start off.. also owned a 13' 4 " 6wt wich was fun too! 8wts and higher are typicaly more steelhead and salmong rods!

Please be carefull that an European manufactured rod in the 6 weight is not the same as an US manufactured rod in the 6 weight.

I had a Winston Vapor 12.6 #6 (US) which I had to line with an 8/9 scandi line from Scierra (EU)

I used it for salmon. Now the rod is sold and I am eagerly waiting for my Meiser 13 #6 :clapping:

I think a US 6 weight is overkill for trout and you better can have a US 3 or 4 weight.

Decho or ACR in the #3 and #4 lines are nice rods for trout.

Please be carefull that an European manufactured rod in the 6 weight is not the same as an US manufactured rod in the 6 weight.

I had a Winston Vapor 12.6 #6 (US) which I had to line with an 8/9 scandi line from Scierra (EU)

I used it for salmon. Now the rod is sold and I am eagerly waiting for my Meiser 13 #6 :clapping:

I think a US 6 weight is overkill for trout and you better can have a US 3 or 4 weight.

Decho or ACR in the #3 and #4 lines are nice rods for trout.

I don't know about that. I have a 12' 6wt Loop Goran Anderson (definitely a European rod) and use a 420 compact skagit on it. My friend Al has a 12'6" Deer Creek 5/6 and he uses either a 420 or 450 compact skagit (can't remember which). The biggest difference between the two rods is the action - I prefer faster action rods while he prefers more traditional medium to medium-fast action like DCs and Burkies. The Vapor is a fast action rod, while the Meiser you have on order is more of a traditional action rod - Meiser had a hand in designing the Deer Creek too. That'll be your biggest difference. If you like the Meiser then the reason you preferred a heavier line on the Vapor is probably that it slowed the rod down to an action more suited to you. I think it comes down to the rod's grain window, action, and caster preference.

As for what weight rod is overkill, both my Goran and my friend's Deer Creek have been bent right over by Bow river browns and rainbows. I wouldn't mind fishing a 4wt two-hander for trout, but the only one I've tried - the Decho 4119 - is too slow for my preference.

I don't know about that. I have a 12' 6wt Loop Goran Anderson (definitely a European rod) and use a 420 compact skagit on it. My friend Al has a 12'6" Deer Creek 5/6 and he uses either a 420 or 450 compact skagit (can't remember which). The biggest difference between the two rods is the action - I prefer faster action rods while he prefers more traditional medium to medium-fast action like DCs and Burkies. The Vapor is a fast action rod, while the Meiser you have on order is more of a traditional action rod - Meiser had a hand in designing the Deer Creek too. That'll be your biggest difference. If you like the Meiser then the reason you preferred a heavier line on the Vapor is probably that it slowed the rod down to an action more suited to you. I think it comes down to the rod's grain window, action, and caster preference.

As for what weight rod is overkill, both my Goran and my friend's Deer Creek have been bent right over by Bow river browns and rainbows. I wouldn't mind fishing a 4wt two-hander for trout, but the only one I've tried - the Decho 4119 - is too slow for my preference.

I did not use a heavier line on the Vapor, according to Winston the Vapor has a grain window for scandi from 400 to 432 grain.

Which is between 26 and 28 grams. The Scierra 8/9 is 26 gram (401 grain) so I did not have a heavier line on it.

Skagit lines are not much used over here, so I do not know if you can compare the grainwindow of a scandi rod with the grainwindow of a skagit line.

But a nice example is your Goran Andersson #6 which is rated by Loop for a 23 gram line which is 355 grains.

In comparison my Anderson Custom Rod 11.9 #3 has a customline from Gary himself about 295 grains.

So grainwise they are close together, but AFTM wise there is a world of difference.

And yes, I like the slower rods, although the Vapor throws some mean laserloops.

so a bit of a simple question but i am slow. is the rod size (wt) or length chosen for the size of fly or fish or both? i am looking at rods for the bow and was wanting to go as light as i could with still being practical. i am wanting to use it for mainly streamers. thanks

Your question is a good one and one that has changed dramatically over the past 5 years...IMO the better rods for the Bow are between 10'6" and 13'6"...there is no need to have any rod greater than a 6 weight for the size fish you have to manage and handle. That said,some of the manufacturers are designing lighter weight and longer "Trouters" for Rivers and Fish sizes like you have in SOuthern Alberta and the Eastern regions of BC. When you have such wide open and unobstructed casting lanes the longer rods are smoother and gentler on your being...without the need for Skagit and heavy types of lines. In areas where you have less openess you may want a shorter and more crisp tool for the job at hand.

When choosing a good rod for the job you have to consider most of the obvious situations. "What rod do you want to have in your hands when you most need it and for the rest of the time still enjoy it?"...in other words an "ALLROUNDER!"...there are not too many of these classic rods in the market place. You have the Snowbee 12' Torridge,TnT 1206, Lamiglas CST(6),and a few others...now Winston,Sage,Loop,Snowbee Diamond,Guideline,even Hardy have similar and lighter rods to choose from.

Switch Rods are also a good bet for the Bow...there was great interest in them several years back but got sidetracked with bigger and longer rods and has recently come back to some kind of better understanding of needs. Beulah has been there from Day One of the Modern resurgence in Switch rods and has taken this to a much higher and more efficient playing field than any other.Their new Platinum Spey series ;a 5,6 and 7 weight series, is unmatched for performance and agility,this has been co-ordinated with their new 11' Surf Rods in a 7/8,8/9,and 9/10 range.I have traded in all my Switch rods except my 4/5 simply because i can cross so many playing fields with the One tool...the Tropics,BC Steelhead,Vancouver Island Beach Fishing and more.

Complicated?...not really...answer these question to yourself and the answer will be easier...where you fish,what you fish,how you fish ,when you fish and what you can really afford without compromise....Remember,you can have one of the best rods in the field but without a good line match it is a piece of crap!

Joshua

If you start your quest do not pass up the opportunity to try the

Sage 5110-4 Z Axis. It will probably not be at your price point

but I saw George Cook cast this config a mile. It truly was impressive.

Did it all with the Rio AFS 5/6. Handles anything you could ever want

in a Bow Switch rod (Skagit rig, overhead etc ). If you like the action it

may give you a good reference point for some of the real good rods

in the lower price range...and they are out there. Your current level

of casting ability may also be a consideration. Get out and try some.

Joshua

If you start your quest do not pass up the opportunity to try the

Sage 5110-4 Z Axis. It will probably not be at your price point

but I saw George Cook cast this config a mile. It truly was impressive.

Did it all with the Rio AFS 5/6. Handles anything you could ever want

in a Bow Switch rod (Skagit rig, overhead etc ). If you like the action it

may give you a good reference point for some of the real good rods

in the lower price range...and they are out there. Your current level

of casting ability may also be a consideration. Get out and try some.

I have this rod and am very happy with it. Incredibly versatile rod. I'm still searching for the perfect line for it but I find it to be a great rod for long line nymphing and underhanding streamers on the Bow. Trout of all sizes are lots of fun to catch on it. Since I got it it's been the only rod I use when the fish aren't rising.

I hear good things about the Loomis 5 weight switch as well. I think the Loomis has nicer cork and guides than the Sage.