Fly Fusion Forums

Again With The Morons

FYI Rick, some people dont know how to read. Take me for example, i have no clue how to read and as a result i rely on other people to tell me what is in the regs. So in this case is it their fault that i dont know what sections are closed? what if i really want to fish, but my friend who will remain nameless who can read isnt home, so i decide to go anyways? am i a bad person for this? food for thought man! food for thought

Dustin

Kidyom

Ejsy fpi ,rsm upi vsmy trsf? Trs;;u. s;; [rp[;r ejp vsmy trsf str rbo;. S;; yjod ys;l pg gppf od ,slomh ,r jimhtu/ z,,,,,, gppf

Vjrrtd!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"steal and destroy"...almost sounds like a Metallica song.

FFfwx, no doubt you are on the right side of the law. But, as we use to say in the teaching world, are you sure that's the sword you want to draw your battle lines on? Just sayin' you seem to get pretty upset over this, when:

1) I tend to get angrier about fishing in closed seasons, closed waters,

2) and where people use bait where prohibited,

3) and where people retain too many fish.

Bigger issues here, as I see it, and I haven't even touched about habitat destruction.

I also say this, because when the regulation was discussed on the old board when it was initially proposed, 2 points by none other than Kyle McNeilly (if anyone remembers or puts stock into what he says, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable) on studies done for hooking mortality:

1) Treble hooks do not significantly contribute to increased mortality,

2) And barbless hooks do not significantly reduce mortality.

Kyle seemed to think that the real issue, taken care of about a decade ago, was the use of bait. Now, just to be fair, I am basing my position on someone else's knowledge, and their interpretation of studies done. Undoubtedly, some smart people on this board who have also done the research may have a different take.

FFFwx, to take this full circle, I can see where you are coming from. An analogy; for years New York city had a bad crime rate; and many of the city officials felt a crackdown was needed on the worst of the worst. But when Guiliani came in and had a zero-tolerance policy on everything, including so-called "petty" crimes like graffiti and subway fare evasion, guess what happened? All the crime rate went down.

Smitty

Smitty

You are presuming that this is the only thing I have an issue with in this context.. I TOTALLY AGREE with the issues you present...

These useless devises are just the little pieces of evidence that get left behind by the culprits that may also be participating in the other activities you listed.

I am not using a sword but a quiver full of arrows.

I also taught, thou in the military system.. Which I must say I think is a much stricter sys.. and did not appreciate when I first joined right out of high school.. but as it went on ..and I had time to reflect I would not have screwed around as much in High School if my teachers had the same techniques and capability as my instructors in Electronics school and core military training...basically I truly believe if we had a system, a complete system of enforcement and penalties with teeth, that hurt when you broke them.. then we would not be having this typed conversation..

but I digress sorry ... your analogy is bang on.. make breaking the law not worth the penalty and the breaking of the law will decrease..

I took pics and gave the info including position to a CO.. and his statement was he wished they had enough manpower to catch them all..

Guest rickleblanc

Dustin, FYI I volunteered as an Adult Literacy Tutor for three years, and worked as an Adult Education Facilitator for a year. You'll have to do better than that.

To address your hypothetical question, the onus is still on you. If someone can't read, they are still responsible for their actions. There are some people who can barely speak English, let alone read it, out there poaching walleye. Are you suggesting that they're excused?

BTW, I'm ever so glad your dictaphone is working.

Rick

Well I will take this as no.

No ! take that as a Roger OUT..

and as an affirmative... My fishing partner on sat found two flies with barbs and keep them, very nicely tied flies but barb'd, he de-barb'd them and stuck them in his hat. as a side note the two flies he found were attached to a Red and white bobber !!!!

I would have loved to meet this person, that is the type of person I could have helped I would have even given him/her a Indicator of proper size etc...

My fishing partner on sat found two flies with barbs and keep them, very nicely tied flies but barb'd, he de-barb'd them and stuck them in his hat. as a side note the two flies he found were attached to a Red and white bobber !!!!

I would have loved to meet this person, that is the type of person I could have helped I would have even given him/her a Indicator of proper size etc...

you have to remember Flyfishfaiwx that there are a lot of spin casters out there that are hucking fly rigs w/t bobers, and weights. so I have a hard time to belief that that rig was from a fly fisher.

you have to remember Flyfishfaiwx that there are a lot of spin casters out there that are hucking fly rigs w/t bobers, and weights. so I have a hard time to belief that that rig was from a fly fisher.

That is just foreign to me. But and there is always a but, if that was the case I could at least educate the person on the barbless aspect of fishing.. and who knows maybe convert them to the right side..

I am pessimistically an optimist....

That is just foreign to me. But and there is always a but, if that was the case I could at least educate the person on the barbless aspect of fishing.. and who knows maybe convert them to the right side..

I am pessimistically an optimist....

That's how I started out before I got a fly rod.. spinning rod/reel with one of those translucent yellow torpedo shaped bobbers with a nymph rig underneath.

I've fished both (like most of you, I assume) and I believe that it might not kill them more but it sure does damage them more. Maybe fish are more resilent then we give them credit for.

I've often wondered how they do those studies. Do the same people remove both types of hooks and then put the fish in a controlled environment or do they follow the yahoo's around to see how delicate they are removing that treble with their needle nose before the fish free falls back into the water?

I'm probably going to get flamed for profiling but I'm not slamming yahoos. I used to be one. I'm just questioning the accuracy of these studies because of what I've seen (and done).

I certainly have not read the studies in detail, but from the one's I've skimmed the fish handling and hook removal were all done by the same people. You could only study the differences if the people were the same. I would submit that the "yahoos" you are talking about would handle the fish poorly regardless of barb, barbless, treble, single. If your goal is for the fish to survive above all else (that is after you've stressed him out from catching him), then if the studies are correct, the type of hook is not all that relevant. If you don't care that much whether the fish survives, or do care but don't know how to handle the fish, then I would say the same thing about hook type. If your handling skills suck, or just not yet developed, then type of hook probably does not matter either.

Anytime this subject comes up, there seems to be an assumption of intent. I think that in the majority of cases, there is no evil intent, just lack of knowledge. Or I choose to believe that. Makes me overall happier to try (and certainly not always succeed) to assume the best. I'm correct more often

When I first started to fish the bow I used a spin rod, pencil weight (I took rubber tubing and put a chuck with some space and melt the two end and place a snap through it), SJW and royal coachman.

I spuspended the weight at the bottom went up about a foot to the SJW (was rigged like a pickler rig if that makes sence) then another foot to the coachman. I would whipped it out to the middle of the river and bottom bounce from 10 ococlk to 2 oclock pick up and cast again.

The first year I fished with barbs but I got my lience from Crappy tire and didn;t know better it wasn't till I walked into a fly shop that I learned diffrent.

So some of you fished with a spin rod, 2 flies, a weight, and a bobber.

Now you nymph with a fly rod, 2 flies, splitshot, and a corkie.

So tell me what the difference is?

I am sure that there are "flyfishermen" that don't pinch their barbs and spin fishermen that do...

Looking in from the outside we are percieved as a bunch of holier than thou`s and a thread like this propagates the stereotype.

that is the thing, I hate to say it but I hit up a couple of other forums other than this one, and on another forum, I would say we fly fishers are out numbered prob 5-1 by all the gear chuckers. I hate to say it but they are all just as worried about poachers, and the lack of conservation to our sport/ hobby. we are not the only ones worried.

All I know is now that I tie my own flys, is that I now have no problem about ever being caught w/t a barbed hook, as that is the first thing I do before I start the tie.

Very damn little, 'cept they are funner to catch on the fly rod.

Could be but I do know those BR rainbows were outrageous w/ a 6'ultralite rod, 2lb test and a 1/8 oz mr twister

that is the thing, I hate to say it but I hit up a couple of other forums other than this one, and on another forum, I would say we fly fishers are out numbered prob 5-1 by all the gear chuckers. I hate to say it but they are all just as worried about poachers, and the lack of conservation to our sport/ hobby. we are not the only ones worried.

All I know is now that I tie my own flys, is that I now have no problem about ever being caught w/t a barbed hook, as that is the first thing I do before I start the tie.

Wait a minute, you mean there are spin fishermen just as conservationally minded as the enlightened members of this board? Surely that cannot be? If that is true, just who are we supposed to feel superior to? This is a troubling development. I'm going to have to find a fly fishing magazine to read so I can rediscover just why us fly fishermen are superior. I know, I'll go re-read some Haig-Brown. He'll make me feel superior again.

Fishin is fishin folks. Anyone who thinks one method is superior to another needs to give their heads a shake.

Wait a minute, you mean there are spin fishermen just as conservationally minded as the enlightened members of this board? Surely that cannot be? If that is true, just who are we supposed to feel superior to? This is a troubling development. I'm going to have to find a fly fishing magazine to read so I can rediscover just why us fly fishermen are superior. I know, I'll go re-read some Haig-Brown. He'll make me feel superior again.

Fishin is fishin folks. Anyone who thinks one method is superior to another needs to give their heads a shake.

Haig Brown started as a gear fisherman also, and spent much time with fishing buddies who chucked gear in the Campbell and the Salt. He did a lot of 'bonkin' of wild steelhead also. He's definitely 'superior' when compared to me, but we're likely more elitist than he was :)

Love the history of the sport in Canada and Haig Brown sure wrote some good stories.

Looking in from the outside we are percieved as a bunch of holier than thou`s and a thread like this propagates the stereotype.

Lets put it this way....I've never seen a flyfisher throw away all of his gear and take up hardware chucking exclusely. The evolution is usually the other way around. :goodvsevil():

Maybe one day, I'll be like Orvisonly.