Fly Fusion Forums

Too Late In Year For Fly Fishing?

I know this snow will go away shortly (I hope!)

When is "too late" for fly fishing?

I have taken a lesson but have yet to throw a cast.....I should maybe just wait till next spring?

I have no idea....

Just wondering your opinion about it.....

Thanks

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

FISH EVERY WEEK...if you can. If there is a gap between the slush coming down the river i will try my best to get a line in it.

Now is a great time to learn how to nymph! Fish will be starting to move into slower water for the winter which will make watching your indicator easier, mending your line easier, and feeling the strikes. Fish when ya wanna fish dude, there is always open water open water to be found on the bow! And if ya can (try) fish when its -15 its makes the summer fishing even better!

If you took a lesson you should get out and practice your casting while it's all still fresh in your mind.

What he said. It is extremely important to immediately practice the physical movements of casting to instill those movements so they are not forgotten. Practice daily, even on grass. An hour's practice is equal to one days fishing in actual stickwaving. Winter is also the time to absorb the "academic" part of fly fishing; where, when and how to place what fly. It is about how to handle and release fish, it is about personal ethics and how to share. In my estimation, "fly fishing" is 90% non-physical(if you classify flytying as non-physical) and 10% actually flinging flies.

j

I live in West Calgary......where would be the closest decent spot to throw a line (just so that I can get the hang of it before putting the rod away for the winter)?

I am appreciating the feedback from all of you!

Head down to Fish Creek Park (down Bowbottom Tr). Find some slower water, tie on a pheasant tail, or a san juan worm with an indicator. Put on enough weight to get your fly ticking the bottom of the river, and remember to mend your line and strike at every hesitation of your indicator.

Best of luck

Russ C

The nearest open field works just as well. Put a leader on the end of your line, tie a bit of wool to the end of the leader and cast away. You don't need water to practice casting. In fact, it's probably better to practice in an open field because you'll be concentrating on your cast rather than catching fish, plus you won't have to worry about snagging on trees or getting your fly caught on bottom. Don't forget to wear some form of eye protection, especially if you have a fly on.

I agree. A open field with a chunk of yarn for sure. I would add in a paper plate or a bright colored flat object to aim for. As you get better get it futher away / move it around. try to land it on the plate rather than just chuckin into open air. its more fun than it sounds.

B.

Guest Sundancefisher

Way too cold to fish this time of year.

I did not just catch this one today...no matter what anyone says...I will deny it...

post-1649-1256006649.jpg

Its only too late if your guides are freeze every cast, there are alot of people on this forum that fly fish 12 months of the year in calgary, you know the global warming thing

it is never too cold - there is even stuff you can add to your guides to delay the guide freeze up. :)

Good luck with the learning.

Thought of doing that but doesn't the gravel or pavement chew the crap out of your fly line?

Teck

Teck,

It might I really do not know, but I use a old line that I don't fish with anymore so it really doesn;t matter what happens to the line.