Fly Fusion Forums

Anybody Fish The Bow Around Gleichen?

Just woundering if anyone has fished on the reserve by Gleichen Lately. I havent been there in years but im thinking of taking my chances down there again.

P.S. I grew up in gleichen so i know all of the possible BS that may be assosiated with it.

P.S. I grew up in gleichen so i know all of the possible BS that may be assosiated with it.

Good to know, I might have to join you one day. I was going to say to be careful.

In my ignorance, I floated through the reserve years ago. The fishing was amazing and we caught a lot of fish, until we got our "You're not welcome here" notification. I know they had no intentions, (I hope), but the shots over our heads and in the water not too near us, but not too far either, was enough for us to get the message.

The fishing was so good that we almost talked ourselves into risking it not long after, but reconsidered and went elsewhere. :unsure:

They didn't come within 20 feet of my boat and the shots over head were quite a ways above us. They were just sending us a message.

I later stopped in to ask if there was a way to get permission to float through so I wouldn't run into problems if I did it again, but the message was clear that they would prefer I didn't. The person I talked to said that even if they were to give us the go ahead, He couldn't promise He could control his people.

He said they would prefer if I fished with someone from the Band.

I respected their wishes and haven't been back.

Also, take into consideration that this was around 12 or 13 years ago, so things may have changed.

my budddy jet boats through the reserve all the time and no problems at all. HE also goes through the huderite colony and says the amount of fish he sees on their striggers every time he goes would make you sick. but the fishing still continues to be great.

Thanks for the input. I havent been there for probobly 10 years,like i said, , and my grandpa fished down there also for years, but we had never had any real conflict. But that is also off the shore and having the guidence of my grandpa thats been there for 60 years.i know alot of people around there, alot of them nativs, so i am gonna go on thus. and friday i think. I will see what i can find out also about floating it aswell. As for tresspass permits, i think the local law enforcment has a little more to worry about than a few people goin down to the river to catch a fish. But i do know the fishing uded to be great, My granpa 's got an 8 pounder on the wall. Caught before i was born of course, but a buit none the less.

Anyway ill post on sunday or monday and let ya know how it went!

Sounds good diggler. I look forward to hearing your report.

As far as the people we dealt with when looking for information, they were all great. As we all know, it is usually just a few bad apples that spoil the bunch and I'm sure this was the case.

I've never had a problem with respecting someone's space.