Fly Fusion Forums

What Would You Do?

Tosh

I went to the highwood today and came across a guy fishing a large hole, there was probably 10-12 feet of ice along the banks were the slow moving stuff froze, so he would catch a fish, flip it onto the ice, drag it across the 10 feet or whatever, unhook it but instead of breaking a hole in the ice to release it he would throw em or most times skip em along the ice back into the water? I aproach the guy and grab a fish it looked like he caught a hour prior but his release (throw) was short and the fish died on the ice 3 feet from open water. I try to explain to the guy a better way to what he was doing when he basically told me to go screw my self and he was a professional angler. Note the fish i grabbed was a under sized white fish whitch he reconized so he threw back in the hole to float down stream. I was just wondering how am i supposed to handle myself in that situation? because i wanted to take my waiters off and skip him across the ice. thanks.

he left before i could call but i managed to get his plate number can i call that in?

Yes. Tell them when and where it occurred, the plate number, and a description of the guy. At the very least when they know that someone is doing something wrong they can keep an eye out for their vehicle or at that spot in the future.

thanks for the help, if it ever happens again i will definatly be more prepared. (wont leave home without the camera again). and i will definatly call his plates in, so hopefully it will help them get this jerk.

put you rod down, in a safe spot. calmly walk into the trees, and return with a fairly lage branch. preferrably heavier on one end. approach said proffessional angler, all the while staring him in the eye. stop roughly 6-8 feet away, reamianing on the up hill side of him. pause briefly...and politly ask him again. if that doesnt work, throw your stick into his hole, pick up yer rod, and keep movin.

put you rod down, in a safe spot. calmly walk into the trees, and return with a fairly lage branch. preferrably heavier on one end. approach said proffessional angler, all the while staring him in the eye. stop roughly 6-8 feet away, reamianing on the up hill side of him. pause briefly...and politly ask him again. if that doesnt work, throw your stick into his hole, pick up yer rod, and keep movin.

My vote is on a safe distance and kindly ask 1 more time.......... then begin to throw baseball size rocks into his pool / run. If he objects,,,,,,,,, start throwing them at him.