Fly Fusion Forums

Who Knows What Specie This Is?

Wolfie

yesterday, had nothing better to do...so...took a walk in the city..saw this...you all seem to profess to be pros, so tell me what specie is this......................................Wolfie...now this pic may not be perfect, however, you all should be able to tell....NO?

33wpfye.jpg

Ya I enlarged it and realized it wasn't a pike, but by than I didn't really care. lol

well........my thoughts were exactly as this...whitefish, pike..but then the size was way to big for a whitefish [looking along the size of over 8lbs], really am sorry that the pic is so crappy making the ID hard..however..this fish, because of it's shape, weight, even the snout, lead me to believe it was a "Bull Trout"...but seeing that I've not yet actually caught one here in Alberta, I was hoping that someone might have said it.......................Wolfie

I can't see any white stripes on the leading edges of the lower fins so I'm inclined to say not a Bull Trout. Hard to say with any degree of certainty though. Not a lot of fish get that big (tough to tell scale in the photo too) though. The tail looks forked which would make one lean towards a Lake Trout if it's actually of the Trout/Char families. Could also be a Burbot, I suppose, although the nose seems too pointed. The eyes look to be too far horizontal to be a trout. Go back and get a better picture... <--poke--<

yesterday, had nothing better to do...so...took a walk in the city..saw this...you all seem to profess to be pros, so tell me what specie is this......................................Wolfie...now this pic may not be perfect, however, you all should be able to tell....NO?

33wpfye.jpg

That aint no whitefish. sheshh.. I would say a Bull Trout... & some wicked side affects from the meth labs...

that is a tough picture too get a good id any of the guesses/id's above could be it really.. a lake maybe by the forked tail but whittie or pike woul have ibn my first guess... hard too say by the rocks but i would have figured teh fish too be a 16" er ish..... but if it was a 8lber being high 20's my guess would be laker or pike or sucker..... not many fish taht size out taht way and not teh right fins for a sturgeon as a long shot! but is almost ahs sucker like lips.....