Fly Fusion Forums

About Nymphing!!

gdh0404

Hi,

I'm new to flyfishing and I always fish with dries(because i don't have to worry about water depth,snagging and stuff) but did not catch a lot of fish

and all the experienced fishermen on the board said that nymphing catches more fish so i have some questions about nymphing

1. I bought an indicator that goes on the fly line, are these good indicators because the ones i know were supposed to be on the leaders.

2. How do u adjust the depth that your nymphs are gonna be? for ex. if u were fishing the the water that was about 1ft deep and then you want to fish the water thats about 10 ft deep, do you cut the whole thing and make a longer leader or is there a way to do it?

3. Do sanjuan worms and copper john work all year? and do size matter alot? if they do would this be a good setup?(Sanjuan worm at the end of the leader and copper john about 2 ft above it) if theres a better one can u recommend one?

4. What kind of water should i look for when im nymphing?

5. Is it okay to use floating lines with nymphs?

Any info much appreciated=)

1. The indicators should be on the leader not the fly line, it also acts as your bobber/float. I use a balloon style indicator http://www.riverbum.com/images/products/bi...e-Indicator.jpg

2. You keep the leader at the regular length and adjust the indicator/float so that it is about 1.5x from the nymph as the depth you want the nymphs to drift at (usually just bouncing off the bottom).

3. I assume they would work all year but not an expert at that as I don't do a lot of wintertime fly fishing. I sometimes attach up to three nymphs about 1ft apart from each other and it works fine, beadhead prince nymph works well for me.

4. Water with character, slow runs next to fast moving water, holes with slow water. Basically anywhere the fish can spend minimal effort swimming but can watch a buffet of food float by.

5. Yup, I never really use a sinking line other than for streamers, just gotta make sure your leader is long enough.

Hey Newbie

I'm not an pro but I do most of my fishing with nymphs so here's my 2 cents

1.my indicators are the foamy ones you attach to the leader I wouldn't use one you attach to your line reason being

is this is how you can ajust depth moving the indicator up or down your leader.

2.My fav nymph patterns would include sj evil weevel prince bead heads copper johns all work pretty well all year long.

3. I find the most action where the water is changing in some nature slow to fast fast to slow riffles any formations and the ends of

islands are keys for me at least.

4. the key to nymphing is alway matching the flow rate of the river you don't want your line dragging thought the run or ripping your nymphs and scaring the fish.you want the nymphs to look like they were pulled off some rock up stream and are following the natural river channels and current rate.

5.I use a 3 fly setup usually sj evil and a prince to start you may want to start with one or two as throwing nymphs is quite abit different than dries. You also will need some smaller sized split shot I use size BB one or two at the most depending on the depth and river rate.

6.floating line is just fine and is all I use on the bow you would only need a sink line on some of the bigger rivers or lakes.

Hope this helps good luck and tight lines...

I don't believe its necessary to spend your money on costlier 1X 2X 3X spools of tippet for nymphing, just buy a big spool of 8 lb test mono for a fraction of the price and it will do the same basic thing for much less money. A flyshop owner in Calgary suggested this to me when I was just starting out.

Thx everyone, and that Primer information was really helpful(never knew there was such thing on this website)

but i have just one more question.. People say add split shots to the leader but aren't split shots those metal things and wont they mess up your casts big time? if they dont where do you put them on the leader? at the end? in the middle??

Thx everyone, and that Primer information was really helpful(never knew there was such thing on this website)

but i have just one more question.. People say add split shots to the leader but aren't split shots those metal things and wont they mess up your casts big time? if they dont where do you put them on the leader? at the end? in the middle??

Most times a wire rapped worm is all you need for weight,you can also use 2 or 3 of the small shot and space them out.A roll cast can work well if its all balanced right.

I use barrel swivels for weight.

I buy them in four diffrent sizes from a tiny small one to a large one for diffrent river currents and depths, then you can just adjust were your strike indicator is on your leader for depth. Another good thing about using barrel swivels is that it also straightens out your leader during your cast reducing greatly the amount of tangles you may get and also it saves your leader too.

I always use three nymphs when I nymph fish and almost always use either a worm or a stone fly (depending on the time of the year) and for the other two flies I will either use a larva or pupa and then follow it up with a emerger of some type. I try to keep my hooks about 14 to 18 inches apart to help reduce snagging the trout with a trailing fly.

The type of water really depends on the time of the year, sometimes the fish will be holding in the headwaters or the riffles while other times of the year they are holding in the buckets and slack deep water. Here is what I do when I first get to a run in the river, working my way up I will take one or two casts then take a step, always moving my feet and always starting closing and with as little weight as possible, much easier to catch the active fish first then to try and go after the other ones. Usally after a hour I will know where and what the fish are taking.

As was taught to me I will pass on to you, if the trout doesn't take the fly after the first three passes whatz to say it will take it after the 100th pass.

Another way to get a good idea in what to throw is when you get down to a section of the river you want to fish start flipping rocks in the water and see what you can find, then match up a nymph in your box as close as possible to size and color, sometimes the trout in the bow can get really picky and will pass up stuff that might not be the same size as to what they are seeing.

As for tippet I generally only use 3x flurrol as it sinks the the quickest and I only buy Frog Hair as I find it is the best and strongest and I get very little breaks with it espically if my knots are good. I have used maximum and pline in the pass and I do keep some on me for cases of emergeny but have found that with the cheeper stuff you get cheeper product, that is however my own opion. Also do not use mono when nymph fishin as mono with not sick as fast as flourral does, but once again that is just my own opion.

Remeber when nymphing you top hook you want close or right on the bottom so if your not bumbing bottom then you are not deep enough.

I use floating lines all the time for nymph fishing and the only time I have ever used a sink tip of any kind is either when throwing streamers into fast moving water and want to get it down or while swinning flies that I want to slowly rise to the top during the swing, in this cases I usally use a intermideate sink tip opposed to a fast or super fast sink tip.

Hope this helps you out, and if you have any more questions ask away.

They certainly mess with your cast. When throwing a big weighted string into fast water, it's not like fly casting as you know it. Much wider loops, and much less grace are needed (at least to me). But if you don't have enough weight to get it down you won't catch as many fish (though you won't catch as much bottom either!). That said, I certainly know people who will purposely be a bit light just to avoid snagging so much. They are willing to sacrifice getting it right in the fish's face for ease of fishing. Also, even though I think they will get fewer takes, the takes are easier to see if the flies are not dragging. So there are reasons to be a bit light, I just think it's better in the long run to be on bottom all the time.

BRN, it would really help if you could get out with someone. If you have the cash take advantage of Max's walk 'n wade special just posted. I guarantee it'll be money well spent. If not, I'm off work the entire month of October so shoot me a PM sometime and I'll meet up with you somewhere and share a little knowledge.

Neil

Brad, let's make a couple of trips down south while you're off.

I am also off the second week of october and plan on doing alot of fishin that week, so if you wanna hook up with me just shoot me a pm and we will see what we can organized.

How do you guys change flies when you have 2 flies on? so if O were flies and --- were my leader If i had O------O--------=======And I want to change the middle one do you cut both sides and retie the leader?

Yeah if you want to change your middle fly cut the tip it off the point and retie both, I useally tie mine a bit longer so when Iwant to retie the middle flie I cut my tippet close to the hook then I have enough tippit to retie my point fly to the new middle hook.

Depending on what kind of knot you use (I use a duncan loop), I can (either) just loosen and slip the knot off of the previous fly's hook shank and keep it all tied up for another time (or) cut it off and re-tie... If I decide to change the entire rig, I tend to store some common 2 or 3 rig combos (and usually use a swivel with my nymphing set up) on a 4 x 4 piece of foam that I keep in my vest (I know others that use a strip of cardboard). I can only store about 4 rigs as it can get messy... As Brad mentioned, I too also use longer sections of tippet in case I decide to retie...

Cheers,

P

How do you guys change flies when you have 2 flies on? so if O were flies and --- were my leader If i had O------O--------=======And I want to change the middle one do you cut both sides and retie the leader?

Thanks everyone I went out again and finally caught 2 small browns but i just have one more question.... I caught these fish in about 2 feet deep riffle and almost in a same place so do riffles have most trout? and is deeper riffle better for trout than shallow riffles?

Thanks everyone I went out again and finally caught 2 small browns but i just have one more question.... I caught these fish in about 2 feet deep riffle and almost in a same place so do riffles have most trout? and is deeper riffle better for trout than shallow riffles?

When the water is warmer the fish will move into the riffles because the water is more oxygenated. As the weather and water cool, the fish will move back into the slower water. If they haven't already started moving into the slower stuff they probably will soon.

Most times a wire rapped worm is all you need for weight,you can also use 2 or 3 of the small shot and space them out.A roll cast can work well if its all balanced right.

yeah, I never really do roll cast but i saw someone doing it yesterday with nymphs, tried it and it worked incredibly well. is it because of the weight of the flies? because suck big time roll casting with dry flies