Fly Fusion Forums

Small Stores Are Worth Their Weight In Gold!

Wolfie

Well how about that..went into a store today to get a pair of neo socks to wet/wade..and came out with a brand new pair of 'konkers'..in the process of try to get a pair of socks, I had asked if it was the norm for this brand to "shrink", if they are left ..say in the back of the trunk..well the boots were checked over by the owner and low and be hold..the seam along side of my foot was splitting..I have worn them I guess 6 or 8 times..was given a larger size, but brand spanking new one! ..now that's taking care of a customer in my books..yepper..hat's off for the small store..this one was "FishTales"..yahooo.gif............Wolfie

I've only been to Fish Tales once (I live in Red Deer) but it was probably the best service I've received.

Amen.

My little story about Fish Tales..

I had heard so many people raving about this shop I had to go and check it out. Very first time in there, one of the owners greets me, shakes my hand, asks my name and what I'm looking for. Awesome. But here's the kicker.. second time I went in the store ever in my life.. it was probably at least a month after the first time.. walk in and the owner says "hey Ryan, how's it going?" I couldn't even remember his name.. had to ask him to remind me. Excuse me?! I've been in here once and this guy is calling me by my first name? I've been a loyal customer ever since that moment! I'd be lying if I said I haven't bought a thing or two at other stores, but Fish Tales will always have the bulk of my purchases simply because of my first two visits. Blew me away.

In contrast.. I've been in a different local fly shop about 6-8 times so far, and I don't think the owner has ever even given me a simple 'hello'. Boo.

birchy

..in relationship to ur post, I've had an extensive conversation with several of their staff present in respect to exactly what you described, and more..at one point in my career, sales , like so many other ppl at my age then was a key job, and in my case it was a sporting store, lucky me..I was instructed by a very clever owner of this store, who insisted that his staff was customer oriented, being personal with the customers guarantied further sales, not only from that person but as a rule his/her's friends, family, this was a solid idea which proved to be a great $$$$ builder. However, to further enhance his needs to be the biggest, and best in that field, he insisted that the staff became a living, walking book of knowledge pertaining to the products of the section they were working in..and in 'FishTales'..you will find exactly that...people who not only treat you as a friend, but they do contain a wealth of knowledge pertaining to their products, and are quite willing to go that extra mile for your needs..boy that sounds as if I own a bit of that store....huh......................Wolfie

Unfortunately, I've had the exact opposite experience there! I was ignored the 1st and only time I've been there (and the place was dead)... Haven't been back... Another factor in me not going back is that the store is located in the opposite end of town so not so convenient for me (but that is besides the point)... Now Country Pleasures on the other hand has given me a great exp. Brent and Caitlin (whom I usually deal with) are always chatty and professional even when I don't buy anything (which is most of the time ;))!

P

Amen.

My little story about Fish Tales..

I had heard so many people raving about this shop I had to go and check it out. Very first time in there, one of the owners greets me, shakes my hand, asks my name and what I'm looking for. Awesome. But here's the kicker.. second time I went in the store ever in my life.. it was probably at least a month after the first time.. walk in and the owner says "hey Ryan, how's it going?" I couldn't even remember his name.. had to ask him to remind me. Excuse me?! I've been in here once and this guy is calling me by my first name? I've been a loyal customer ever since that moment! I'd be lying if I said I haven't bought a thing or two at other stores, but Fish Tales will always have the bulk of my purchases simply because of my first two visits. Blew me away.

In contrast.. I've been in a different local fly shop about 6-8 times so far, and I don't think the owner has ever even given me a simple 'hello'. Boo.

Hi, The first time I was in Fish Tales.. I was so thankful they never came up to me and bugged me.. ((( Can I help you )))~ They saw me.they were pleasent with me and with smiles. , I didn't know a thing about fly fishing. I walked around and looked, picked up so many things. I walked out.my head was full of infomation. The next time I was in the shop, I was greeted, I wanted help then. I go to Fish Tales now for my fly fishing wants and needs. Why~ for the conversation, for the wisedom in there.. I always walk out with something I can use.. that's the best part.. and there's never any PRESSURE to buy a thing there... that's the best part as for a woman that hates shopping.. I love going in there..

Are you sure that was Fish Tales? Last time I checked they didn't carry Simms.

there is a shop called..'Fly Shop', which may be the place you are referring to, in that store the owner , I guess spoke so little to me and only when I had asked the questions, I thought I was the only one in the shop...........bought a few flies and a license plate trim that reads..'catch and release all wild trout', from him cause I felt I should leave him something, he actually made me feel unwelcome, hadn't return since!................Wolfie

ÜberFly..

I don't know about you but if I go into a store which is not over run by ppl, I want to see..u know ..check out what they have and if a salesperson comes over to me right a way and asks if they can help..well..I'm very abrupt..and say "No..I'll come to you if I need anything!"..however.. if they see me and ignore me, that ensures that I'll go to them and ask things...I just hate to be approached...cause you get that in non productive shops..................Wolfie

Was there for ~ 1/2 hour!! In that amount of time, you'd expect that someone would inquire about a potential customers needs, wants desires (that's retail)... It's not a big store!

P

ÜberFly..

I don't know about you but if I go into a store which is not over run by ppl, I want to see..u know ..check out what they have and if a salesperson comes over to me right a way and asks if they can help..well..I'm very abrupt..and say "No..I'll come to you if I need anything!"..however.. if they see me and ignore me, that ensures that I'll go to them and ask things...I just hate to be approached...cause you get that in non productive shops..................Wolfie

I think Wolfie is trying to say that when he asks a question or for help he wants honest and thorough help and/or answers, but he doesn't want salespeople to approach him making him feel pressured. He wants to be left alone, but wants them to be able to help him when needed. At least that's what I understood.

Of course any good retail sales associate should know how to approach a "potential" customer with respect and with undue pressure (notice, I said "should" as 95% don't know how, but seeing that small specialty shops should have highly trained staff, you'd expect that...). Any way, one should at least be "greeted" (acknowledged) when they come in, no?!

P

I think Wolfie is trying to say that when he asks a question or for help he wants honest and thorough help and/or answers, but he doesn't want salespeople to approach him making him feel pressured. He wants to be left alone, but wants them to be able to help him when needed. At least that's what I understood.

there is a shop called..'Fly Shop', which may be the place you are referring to

Not aware of any shops in the city called "Fly Shop"...

Peter, I honestly don't feel that one trip to a shop is enough to form a conclusive opinion. For example, I went into Country Pleasures once and didn't have a great experience. Went back on a day when Mike and Brent were there and things were quite the opposite. Sometimes people just have an off day. Personally I shop at Fish Tales, Country Pleasures, and West Winds regularly because no single shop carries all the gear and flies I like and each one has staff that I enjoy talking to.

Marc,

You are right... But it just left such a bad taste in my mouth as all I ever heard before going in was how great the customer service was... I'll go in again some day (I'll have to pack a lunch though :))

P

Not aware of any shops in the city called "Fly Shop"...

Peter, I honestly don't feel that one trip to a shop is enough to form a conclusive opinion. For example, I went into Country Pleasures once and didn't have a great experience. Went back on a day when Mike and Brent were there and things were quite the opposite. Sometimes people just have an off day. Personally I shop at Fish Tales, Country Pleasures, and West Winds regularly because no single shop carries all the gear and flies I like and each one has staff that I enjoy talking to.