Fly Fusion Forums

Rods

Birddog

i just purchased a new 6 w sage, but am more inclined to fish the smaller streams in alberta, would you just go with the 6 w or go out and get a 4 or 5 w for the smaller streams, or do i just stay witha 6 wieght?

AL

Depends on the cash flow buddy, I could use one of ever weight at some point! Almost got them too, but don't tell the wife!

If it was me I would pick up a 4wt 9' in the brand of your choice (whole other issue). Some guys will say a 3wt but I think a 4wt is a good all round compromise. 9' over an 8.6 as the extra length can be helpful at times.

Just picked up a TFO finesse and am very please with it.

i just purchased a new 6 w sage, but am more inclined to fish the smaller streams in alberta, would you just go with the 6 w or go out and get a 4 or 5 w for the smaller streams, or do i just stay witha 6 wieght?

AL

why are you asking now ..after you bought it, would it not have been logical to ask before you bought one..as so many threads in here have suggest to try out the wts., length of rods before you spend ur $$$$......also for ur info..a 6wt rod can handle 5wt fly line , 6wt., or even a 7 wt., line..old school is one up or one down from what the rod is rated for...and so the question is : is a 6wt considered ..over kill..on a small water..the answer is However you want to feel the fish at the end of the line, the lighter the weight, the more sensitive the feel of the action of the fish will be......Wolfie

A 6wt is a great all-around, all-purpose rod. You can throw streamers, nymph, and even get away with some dry fly action if you have to. Its good for the bigger waters (like we have here on the bow), lakes and if need be, the smaller stuff. But, if you're fishing quite a bit on the smaller streams and doing more dry fly work, I would opt for a 4wt, in either an 8'6" or 9'. I've also been a fan of the 4pc, as they are just as strong as the 2pc, but much more travel-friendly, especially if you want to hike and do some alpine stuff. The 4wt is great on smaller stuff (oldman, etc.) and great for dry on the bigger waters.

I wouldn't worry about your 6 wt purchase, it was definetly the way to go if it was your first rod or your general all-around rod. Once you fish more and more, you can then build your collection to your specs. Example: 5wt of a certain action for nymph, 4wt for your smaller stuff/dries, 6wt all-purpose and streamer, etc....

7' 3 wt or 8' 4 wt for small streams are my recos... Just because if you are in a tight space or you need a very delicate cast, you'll be happy, anything longer (for small streams) and you'll spend more time getting your fly out of the trees/bushes. Bow or flat water, totally different story and 8'6' or 9' would be the ticket for sure! But go try it for yourself before you drop the dough, that way you'll see what I'm talk'in about ;)

P

Here is my 2 bits.

What do you want?

What are you willing to spend?

How often do you honestly think you will use it?

These are all very important questions that YOU must ask yourself.

If you want I am willing to meet up with you and let you try my 3wt 9 foot loop multi.

I personally love using it on the bow for dry fly and I also use it on all the small creeks.

In the end you must deciede what YOU want, and as always I suggest you try a wide veraity of diffrent rods to find what suits YOU the best.

If you already have a six, there won't be too much difference going to a 5-wt. For small streams I'd tend to go much smaller, a maximum of a 3-wt.

But then I fish a 000 for good sized westslopes. My suggestion would be to get a 3-wt. If you can, borrow one from a friend and try it for a full day on the type of water you like to fish. Length of the rod is another factor in the decision.

7' 3 wt or 8' 4 wt for small streams are my recos... Just because if you are in a tight space or you need a very delicate cast, you'll be happy, anything longer (for small streams) and you'll spend more time getting your fly out of the trees/bushes. Bow or flat water, totally different story and 8'6' or 9' would be the ticket for sure! But go try it for yourself before you drop the dough, that way you'll see what I'm talk'in about ;)

P

Yup.

I'm no expert but I would think that either a 3 or 4 would work with the 4 being a little more versatile. I have a 3 that I only use for dries, but it is a slower action rod; however, I know that some guys use the same rod for light nymph fishing. Regarding the 4, I've often fished an XP 490 on the bow with heavy triple nymph rigs and it worked great. Many guys even fish smaller/unweighted streamers with 4 weights, out East at least. When I was in Ab I was wishing I owned a 7 for streamer fishing on the Bow. Anyway, I would think a medium to fast 3 or 4 (Sage Fli or Z perhaps) would be great for all around Ab water but if you were just looking for something for smaller water and Bow river dry fly fishing maybe think about something a tad slower, a Sage Launch or VT2 maybe.

I love these posts - a whole whack of guys who all probably own between 10 to 20 rods each all reccomending the one rod you should own LOL - reality is that your gonna catch a big trout, your gonna love it and before you know it your going to discover what many on this site already know...That the true strategy of flyfishing is contriving ever increasingly creative methods of sneaking yet one more $500 rod into the house without the old lady (or old man) finding out, keep them everywhere, always move them around different locations including vehicles, leave them in and out of tubes confusion is the best strategy, if your wife can't accurately count your rods she can't freak out and start calculating how many extra mortgage payments you "could have" made instead of feeding your new obsession. I vote you treat it like a band aid !!! why draw out the pain over a 5 year period ? I say go out and drop about 6 grand on a top of the line rods and reels in every possible weight available - its gonna happen, there is alway going to be that little itch deep in your brain that softly wispers "yes, that was a perfect day but if I had a 3 wt on the one hole at the one bushy cut back bank I could have had a 29 instead of 28 fish day" - last weekend my wife asked me why I need 2 canoes, 2 belly boats and a pontoon boat, my answer ? "Because I don't have drift boat, if I get one of those I can unload a belly boat" she responded "oh OK" trick is to get one in the driveway before she figures out the 5-7k difference in price LOL

Seriously though, I agree with learning on the 6wt you have, its more forgiving and chucking streamer on a 4wt can be challenging to say the least - I learned on a 6 wt, its a great all round wt but that said like many above I pretty well fish moving water with a 4wt exclusively. Al you didn't mention your skill level or experience, if you have your basic casting figured out go 4 wt

I love these posts - a whole whack of guys who all probably own between 10 to 20 rods each all reccomending the one rod you should own LOL - reality is that your gonna catch a big trout, your gonna love it and before you know it your going to discover what many on this site already know...That the true strategy of flyfishing is contriving ever increasingly creative methods of sneaking yet one more $500 rod into the house without the old lady (or old man) finding out, keep them everywhere, always move them around different locations including vehicles, leave them in and out of tubes confusion is the best strategy, if your wife can't accurately count your rods she can't freak out and start calculating how many extra mortgage payments you "could have" made instead of feeding your new obsession. I vote you treat it like a band aid !!! why draw out the pain over a 5 year period ? I say go out and drop about 6 grand on a top of the line rods and reels in every possible weight available - its gonna happen, there is alway going to be that little itch deep in your brain that softly wispers "yes, that was a perfect day but if I had a 3 wt on the one hole at the one bushy cut back bank I could have had a 29 instead of 28 fish day" - last weekend my wife asked me why I need 2 canoes, 2 belly boats and a pontoon boat, my answer ? "Because I don't have drift boat, if I get one of those I can unload a belly boat" she responded "oh OK" trick is to get one in the driveway before she figures out the 5-7k difference in price LOL

Seriously though, I agree with learning on the 6wt you have, its more forgiving and chucking streamer on a 4wt can be challenging to say the least - I learned on a 6 wt, its a great all round wt but that said like many above I pretty well fish moving water with a 4wt exclusively. Al you didn't mention your skill level or experience, if you have your basic casting figured out go 4 wt

A F****IN MEN, PIPESTONE!!! That's some of the best advice I've seen on the board. Aside from the portion that follows "seriously", which may me the practical resopnse.

I am a beginner fly guy who has river fished for years but not with a fly rod, so I bought a 6 w sage and now am hooked aftercatching a few fish and a nice rainbow.

i got a 8'8" 3wt for everything small stream and dry on teh bow 8' 2wt for teh cutties i like a longer rod.. keeps the line upa little higher.. mends nicer and gives me better control! get out and cast a few and find what u like best! pipestone nailed it!! i got a few rods n a few more on the list of "must" haves on the way!!!! it will get too teh point were u will have a rod for each specific situation!!! but if i onyl needed one rod a 9' 5wt would be it!

I am a beginner fly guy who has river fished for years but not with a fly rod, so I bought a 6 w sage and now am hooked aftercatching a few fish and a nice rainbow.

It is an addiction Kinwashkly, WELCOME. This forum is a fantastic place for advise and a great place to meet other people who share your addiction. You could equate it to AA except...we encourage consumption of everything "flyfishing". I am by no means mocking your question so If you have taken it wrong I appologize. If it wasn't for questions asked here, I would be catching far less than I do today. However, Pipestone 's comment is the truth. I've spent the last week kissin' ass with the wife cuz my new rod showed up @ the door and she got home before me. I laughed to myself in the office for about ten minutes when I read the post, even harder when I realized that the other rod hadn't show up yet and was thankin' myself that I had it shipped to work so she wouldn't find out.

If ya wanna take a couple rods out a chuck em' around I have a few and would be happy to let ya try whatever I got. The best piece of advice in purchasin' a new rod is to hit the stores and cast a few about. You wont know what ya like till' ya try it. There are a pile of great shops in town that will let ya demo rods.