Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In Bowness

Hi all,

New to Bowness (and the Bow) and tried fishing in the park a couple of time this week (between 85th St bridge and Stoney Trail bridge). Didn't have any luck and wondered whether it's best to stick it out or just head south of town with the crowds....any thoughts appreciated!

Andy

Hey Andy,.

Welcome to FFC (and to the "bowghetto", as well :))

Some recent references to fishing the NW sections of the Bow, but fishing is never as good as down south (plant life the major contributing factor). Fish can be had, but you usually have to work for it. Fishing is best at dawn or dusk. Search for "Kevin's" recent posts as well as a few others. I've pretty much give up on the NW section, but that's just me ;-)

Tight lines!

Peter

name='andy924' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:13 PM' post='98105']

Hi all,

New to Bowness (and the Bow) and tried fishing in the park a couple of time this week (between 85th St bridge and Stoney Trail bridge). Didn't have any luck and wondered whether it's best to stick it out or just head south of town with the crowds....any thoughts appreciated!

Andy

There are still fish to be had in the NW stretch, there just aren't as many as in the south and they don't get really big because there isn't as much aquatic vegetation compared to below Bonnybrook. You can still find risers and swinging streamers works too. At the very least if you only have an hour or two you can get on the water and practice your cast. I live in Citadel but only fish the NW stretch a few times a year.

Well tried Fish Creek (around the 22x bridge) this morning and didn't get a bite...little tricky without waders in some spots but not too bad once the shorts are rolled up! So after fishing the Bow my first 4 times this week, is it normal not to ever get a bite? I hear it's a tricky river to fish but you must all have the patience of saints if this is the norm! Obviously it's nice to be in the great outdoors etc etc but can't help feeling somewhat disheartened at never having a bite! Aside from the mosquitos

It took me 3 years before I was able to consistently catch fish on the Bow, but even the odd time I still get skunked. It comes down to the right combination of fly/location/time of day/technique/skill/luck. It's a tough river to learn on.

My recommendation - go with someone who knows how to fish the Bow, or note where people on the Bow fish, and go there the next day. :)

It's not just the location, but the right flies and presentation are a pretty big factor too. If you're new to the Bow booking a day with Maxwell or someone would be a huge help to you. He'll show you a few spots as well as some good rigs and flies and where/how to present them properly. Jim McLennan's Listening to the Bow would be another good option.

The bow has always been considered a mid to expert fishery. That said it does become easier one you get some rules down. What are they eating, are you deep enough if nymphing, do you have a drag free presentation. I would not presume to tell you how to fish but there is a wealth of great advice if you search for it on this forum. You might want to check out the piece in featured articles by pacreseltoro who did a nice "Nymph Fishing Primer" to get you pointed in the right direction. By the way don't discount any area of the Bow. Some of my favorite waters is where others discount.

have fun

It took me 3 years before I was able to consistently catch fish on the Bow, but even the odd time I still get skunked. It comes down to the right combination of fly/location/time of day/technique/skill/luck. It's a tough river to learn on.

Funny....I was having this exact conversation with a fellow fisherman last night while we watched the big Browns taking something none of us were able to imitate. I've fished the river on and off for close to 15 years and until this year I've always found myself heading out of town to those clear mountain streams where the Cutthroats, Rainbows and Brookies are plentiful and so much easier to catch. This year I decided I was going to get out to the Bow (it takes me less than 10 minutes to walk to the river's edge) as often as possible and figure it out. I have done that and am finally starting to catch fish with some consistency (in that particular section anyway). The biggest hurdle to me was convincing myself that there were actually fish there and they could be caught.

It's not just the location, but the right flies and presentation are a pretty big factor too. If you're new to the Bow booking a day with Maxwell or someone would be a huge help to you. He'll show you a few spots as well as some good rigs and flies and where/how to present them properly. Jim McLennan's Listening to the Bow would be another good option.

I've done a few float trips over the years and have enjoyed every one of them. The problem I have with them is the style and/or techniques are not necessarily what will work on my "home" stretch of the river. I see one of the members here offers one-on-one experiences and that might be far more helpful, particularly if you could spend some time in a stretch of water you see yourself returning to regularly. When I live 10 minutes from the water I don't necessarily want to drive somewhere else just because my guide showed me how to catch fish there. I do understand some techniques and flies are pretty universal for the river as a whole. I also know I've read reports of people having killer days on the water when I've been skunked using the exact patterns they were using. Guess that's why it's called fishing and not catching.

It's almost like you have to pay your dues before the river allows you to catch fish...

I see one of the members here offers one-on-one experiences and that might be far more helpful, particularly if you could spend some time in a stretch of water you see yourself returning to regularly.

That would be Maxwell, who I believe offers both floats and walk and wade. Jim's Listening to the Bow is also walk and wade.

Andy, I used to fish in Bowness when I lived in NW Calgary and found that around the Stoney Trail bridge as well as the tailwater behind the islands upstream from here there is some good water for decent Rainbows. I had the best fishing late evening/into the night as bigger fish seemed to be willing to rise at that time. Also had some good streamer fishing on the swing here too.