Fly Fusion Forums

'bout Time For Some Combining

Folks,

I have lived in the western part of Alberta for 60 years. During that time I've watched the camping issue change. The biggy was toilets, gen sets and water tanks on trailers. w/o them, the campgrounds would be full

There is a huge difference between random camping and squatters. Random folks come and go - squatters should be removed.

While random camping takes it's tole on the landscape, I have camped @ spots where random campers have used for years and made effort to find the junk they were, according to a bunch of people on this board, leaving behind. Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but it just isn't happening. Sure, there are jerks out there but far fewer than many years past.

Curiously, even though the Gov't prepares sites for camping, most won't use them even if free. There is a great horsey site up on the Hummingbird, nobody in it - but located 200>600 yards away, the horesy set was in full force.

Is there a cure for squatters sure - post the offender, in 2 weeks haul it away to a public auction. If the offender wants it back - he buys it.

And in closing - Two summers ago took a 3 night trip c/w a tent that went up where I quit fishing. Used "random" camping spots. In one I found 1 bottle cap and a tiny piece of tin foil, in another, several empty cartridges in the well established fire pit but the last shocked me. Along the N. Ram, haunted by FF types, it was a pigsty. MT bottles, broken lanterns, tin cans and broken fishing rods. So much for the FF ethic.

Last summer, much the same thing.

So, all of us aren't good, all of us aren't bad. There are some worse than others.

If you want to see how bad it really can get, go up to Ranger Creek on the Main Ram and look for the outfitters camp. Must be a couple of tons of junk laying around. But it's all old junk. Even they have improved.

catch ya'

Don

The combining reference is separating the BS from the buckwheat.