Fly Fusion Forums

Goin' To New Zealand

Y'all,

I booked me a ticket last night to go to New Zealand for a week & Australia for 3 weeks after that. I am arriving in Aukland on Nov. 21, and I'm wondering if any of you have any contacts/insight/experience as I'd love love any assistance with where to fish, a guide(s) to use, etc. I hope some of you have some contacts or experience to share, as I really want to make the best of this trip. Thanks in advance,

Glenbow

Rickr,

I'm definitely not qualitfied to use y'all, nor is the fly selling business going well enought to finance this shenanigan. I finally decided to try to use all those points I've accrued over the years & use 'em all in one shot. This is the shot. I also have mostly free accoms over there (friends) so, all in all, it's a cheapy holiday. I wish I were a rich man & could tell you different, but alas, I am me (but I am happy).

It's been a long time comin', & I'm gonna love it. Y'all.

Don't just focus on NZ and forget about the fishing in Australia. This site should be a good start:

http://www.flylife.com.au/

Also if you have not already read it "Wooly Worms and Wombats" was a pretty entertaing book with lots about the flyfishing in Australia. It was written by the same guy that wrote "Due North Of Montana". Have fun on your trip, I'm jealous.

Guest bigbadbrent

Don't forget to fully wash and dry your waders and well, anything you use down there. Didymo wouldn't be too pleasant in our streams

Glenbow,

Are you just there for the fishing or doing some sight seeing too?

I lived off and on in Australia for nearly 2 1/2 years now. Based my self mostly in Sydney but spent long periods of time in Darwin and Byron Bay too. Went to NZ during one of the last "visa runs", it's a lot like Canada.

If you need any info about where to go and what to see, feel free to send me a PM.

As well watchout with your gear in quarintine at customs. Aussie customs are just behind Canadian customs as to be a real pain in the ass. One time, when I came back from Burma they tried to take away my hiking boots because they had a tiny speck of dirt on them!?!

Suntoucher