Fly Fusion Forums

Tenkara

genn

A while back someone brought it up in the centre pin thread so I looked it up and almost bought one for shits and giggles.

And I still might.

well you let me know how much and where....it is something that I'd like to try, especially in dog pound as an example........Wolfie

I have an 11' light 5:5 rod been using mostly for grayling but finaly got it down to some trout waters. The water was a little high and fast but i manged to hook up with 8-9 fish in the 8-10" range. A 10" trout on this particular rod was a lot of fun better than a 14-15" grayling for sure.

The big plus for me is that the rod pacs down to 20" and wieghts 2.6oz. it also took me all of about 5-10 min to teach my daughter to cast and drift a dry on our grayling waters.

Also it's a little more than glorified high sticking although thats an option with and 11-13' rod. My casting experience with the rods is restricted to 10.5' furled leaders with about 4-5' of tippet and the roll out nice.

http://tenkarausa.com/ have a few videos on thier site and more info. Really for the price of a rod and line you can't go wrong.

I have an 11' light 5:5 rod been using mostly for grayling but finaly got it down to some trout waters. The water was a little high and fast but i manged to hook up with 8-9 fish in the 8-10" range. A 10" trout on this particular rod was a lot of fun better than a 14-15" grayling for sure.

The big plus for me is that the rod pacs down to 20" and wieghts 2.6oz. it also took me all of about 5-10 min to teach my daughter to cast and drift a dry on our grayling waters.

Also it's a little more than glorified high sticking although thats an option with and 11-13' rod. My casting experience with the rods is restricted to 10.5' furled leaders with about 4-5' of tippet and the roll out nice.

http://tenkarausa.com/ have a few videos on thier site and more info. Really for the price of a rod and line you can't go wrong.

seen the clips before, but where did u buy it and how much for the rod as well as the line?..........Wolfie

seen the clips before, but where did u buy it and how much for the rod as well as the line?..........Wolfie

I got my rods and line from the site I linked above. So the prices were as listed plus about 20$ shipping and the usd to cad conversion and 10$ duty(can't remember the number exactly.) I bought 2 of the furled lines just to have one as a back up with the first rod but 1 should last you a long time a couple of seasons unless you do something stupid with it. Plus you can cast level line with it so you could also carry around some 14# floro as back up. I have yet to test this but some people use level line exclusively. Sorry got side tracked...the line rod and s&h were the short side of 200$.

DMcD........thank you, so no store in Calgary carries them yet by the sounds of it..I have a chance of getting these type of rods from China, not Japan, cause but countries use them..and a Chinese friend of mine has several lengths of this type of rod........Wolfie

Ohhhhhh, God help me! I just bought an Iwana 12' 5:5 cuz I just had to have one! :(

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info.php/products_id/53

I did not order the line and leader to go with it, because I kind of wanted to experiment with various options, myself.

I now await it's arrival and the inevitable judgmental question from "She who keeps count":

"Sooooo, you have how many fly rods, NOW????"

Cool part is that she no longer asks "Why ?" :)

j

Ohhhhhh, God help me! I just bought an Iwana 12' 5:5 cuz I just had to have one! :(

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info.php/products_id/53

I did not order the line and leader to go with it, because I kind of wanted to experiment with various options, myself.

I now await it's arrival and the inevitable judgmental question from "She who keeps count":

"Sooooo, you have how many fly rods, NOW????"

Cool part is that she no longer asks "Why ?" :)

j

question...why the longer rod oppose to the 11 1/2' one, do you think that the smaller rivers, creeks, [much smaller than the Bow or say Highwood]...would warrant that size of rod? I'm very curious because I'm going to get one as well, actually two, possible three sizes, although they will not be from US, nor Japan, because my neighbor next to me is going to Shanghai, and will bring them back for me. They also use this type of rod, quite effectively I might add, he has shown me several of his rods, up to the longest he has..a 15 meter one, which he told me he landed a 50lb fish with.......................Wolfie

jack..u also mentioned that you were waiting for the leader and line...well I just got 300 yds., of "ultra line", which is a 'floating mono', because I also do Centre Pinning, now after watching the video, and hook ups in their site, maybe using this 'ultra' as you leader and say..'floro' line..example..'Siglon', either one of the two bright colours as your tippet , could be a sub for what is coming to you, [unless your Lady scoops them when the mailman delivers them and then asks you for...hmm...compensation.......................Wolfie

You may end up regreting not picking up the line unless you have access to a good quality 10' furled leader or are able to make them yourself. That being said I've never bothered with level line or tying my own leader so it could be I don't know what I'm missing. Gratz on the new rod

question...why the longer rod oppose to the 11 1/2' one, do you think that the smaller rivers, creeks, [much smaller than the Bow or say Highwood]...would warrant that size of rod? I'm very curious because I'm going to get one as well, actually two, possible three sizes, although they will not be from US, nor Japan, because my neighbor next to me is going to Shanghai, and will bring them back for me. They also use this type of rod, quite effectively I might add, he has shown me several of his rods, up to the longest he has..a 15 meter one, which he told me he landed a 50lb fish with.......................Wolfie

There isn't much difference between the 11' and 12' except that little bit of extra reach. the 11' model they sell was my first purchase and if I had my choice now I would have went with a 12' just for that little extra reach on some wider corners. I've hit cataract with mine and a few other small creeks in that area and the only time I got snags was either drifting into vegitation as the water was high or missing a hook set.

Also I'm pretty sure the rods from tenkarausa are manufactured in china.

i have a 12' yamame 7.3 and i love it. i am in cochrane so i use it on the jp creek. i got the braided line but the kids found it in the washer and now it is MIA. so i am set up with 12' of 15lb floro and 4' of 5x and it works very well. i was shocked at how well it casted. i want to try drifting on the bow with it. i know guys put a few lengths of the rod in for very tight spots.

I could see that being a bit of fun on the JP, but isn't it just a $150 teloscopic bamboo rod?

NO...first off it is graphite and the style and method is entirely different than the western fly fishing method...they concentrate on the quality of rod, more so than our method, where we combine rod / balance of reel / type of line according to either our desire to either 'dry' fly or 'wet and nymph' fish.

..joshua..that's great m8...so my thoughts on the floro, is a good idea....well JP, would be a good place to test it out, only cause of the unadulterated size of the fish one would expect .. but I was thinking along the way of the LRD, or FT, and your thoughts would be?

.. DMcD..good point about that extra 6".. I can relate to that,there is another source for those furled leaders, for I belong to a Centre Pin forum, where someone there makes them himself..but what is to make..one long bit of line twisted into one..or ..NO?........Wolfie

With the tenkura in mind, I "high-sticked" the Elk and Granby this year with the prototype Wind Warrior 11' 3/4wt spey, in August, using a level fly line and leader. Enjoyed the experience at the time, but my decision on the 12' is probably "onefootitis".

I have a bundle of various length furled leaders, courtesy of a very generous FFC member, who sent them out. That and the challenge of messing around, trying out new stuff to see what works. Small streams are "out" for me until after Bella Coola coho the 3rd week in September, anyway. No rush.

j

With the tenkura in mind, I "high-sticked" the Elk and Granby this year with the prototype Wind Warrior 11' 3/4wt spey, in August, using a level fly line and leader. Enjoyed the experience at the time, but my decision on the 12' is probably "onefootitis".

I have a bundle of various length furled leaders, courtesy of a very generous FFC member, who sent them out. That and the challenge of messing around, trying out new stuff to see what works. Small streams are "out" for me until after Bella Coola coho the 3rd week in September, anyway. No rush.

j

Jack...I got to get you hooked on Centre Pinning m8..you will have a hard time picking up your spey rod again, although, u being a main lander and me from the island, may clash heads...lol..but think how it would feel to have a 15lb coho, fighting you with only 6lb test between u and it.......................Wolfie

Get thee behind me, Satan !! :devilbob:

15-20 lb Northerns on 10lb fluoro tippet off my 1268 spey works just fine for me, Wolfie. And that way I can retain my "purist, elitist" membership ! LOL!

j

Get thee behind me, Satan !! :devilbob:

15-20 lb Northerns on 10lb fluoro tippet off my 1268 spey works just fine for me, Wolfie. And that way I can retain my "purist, elitist" membership ! LOL!

j

lol-2.gif....boy ur Main Lander..nose is sticking up in the air again....cid_01.gif...I'm just banting with you m8...nice to hear the BC attitude again...LOL.gif................hey...I'm a "purist"..for I'm known in many parts of the world..or is that "priest".....Wolfie

.. DMcD..good point about that extra 6".. I can relate to that,there is another source for those furled leaders, for I belong to a Centre Pin forum, where someone there makes them himself..but what is to make..one long bit of line twisted into one..or ..NO?........Wolfie[/i]

I really don't know what there is to making a furled leader but I booked marked a couple of sites on the subject a while back this is one of them

http://hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185

I just glazed it over but it seemed to me at least with the initial setup and time to make it plus now know how often(barring something stupid)it would need to be replaced the time i would invest in making one is worth more than the 20 bucks it cost me. It could also be that I'm just lazy.