Fly Fusion Forums

Cowichan River Tips

bigbrooktrout

I just moved here at the start of August from Duncan, and I grew up fishing the Cowichan. Never did target the salmon, but this time of year, you can get into some decent browns in the upper sections. I prefer to use big hairy dry flies in the shallow edges of the deeper pools, right at dusk. Judging from the massive browns you guys land on the Bow and such, the average size of them may seem a bit on the small side, but the odd lunker is around. Lots of small resident rainbows as well, 6-12 inches, with the odd 18. Great river, great scenery, but if you go during the day, you'll be overrun by people tubing (and littering). Good luck.

Trouter

PS. Great board you guys have here!

Don't think the river is fished much during the summer for trout...temps can get up there and most people leave it alone.

That being said, dusk and dawn should be good times to go, and you should have the river mostly to yourself. If you go during the day, you'll have to share it with a bunch of girls in inner tubes wearing bikinis floating 5' in front of you...it can be that skinny in parts.

Beautiful river though...the hike in to the spot I went was half the fun as I thought I was in a rain forest.

Well my turn I guess...I came from Mill Bay, and fished the Cow throughout the summer , fall, winter..summer has been described very well by the other posters, the bows are small, but beats playing pool all the time..but when it gets cooler and then you can smell in the air, the salmon are on the move , the steelies are moving, the life of the river begins to become alive..and then the first call.."Coho"..just got a silver bullet, there is no other river in my eyes that starts ur heart a pumping.....letting u now know the river has come back to life!

...........here a small token of where I fished.............................Wolfie

241qwjd.jpg

2qtzwux.jpg

Thanks guys, bikinis you say never caught one of those but well try.

I hear that beach fishing the mouth of the river is awesome.

Cheers

hope you know some natives out there m8..cause you have to go through their land to get to the mouth....good luck..Wolfie

Just curious who did the art?

you mean the art with just the Wolves.......a very talented Lady my friend, her name is .."Goldenwolf"..and several years ago gave me permission to use any and all of her art work, for we walk in the same circle.

...all the rest, I made ..colour, the insert of the face, border..etc.

you mean the art with just the Wolves.......a very talented Lady my friend, her name is .."Goldenwolf"..and several years ago gave me permission to use any and all of her art work, for we walk in the same circle.

...all the rest, I made ..colour, the insert of the face, border..etc.

Tell her she has a nice "style".