Fly Fusion Forums

Diners, Drive Ins And Dives

If you want a real good deli sandwich then go to Keith's Deli, one of my most fav places to eat, next to burger inn.

Oh yeah, Keith's kicks some serious ass. There was one sandwich with gravy on it that just makes my mouth water thinking about. You could actually feel your arteries hardening while eating it.

Alberta King of Subs in the NE. I am a former Montrealer and they serve up awesome smoked meat, HOT Montreal style subs and poutine. They have a "Smoked Meat Poutine" which is to die for!!

How does it compare to Schwartz's? I've never been able to find a good smoked meat sandwich outside of Montreal.

Chicken on the way... loves my fried chicken! And when ya get off the river late they are still serving up grease boiled bird....mmmmm

That's Mike's favourite....he always asks me to go and get him some. My excuse: it's not on the way. I love their corn fritters and shrimp but it pretty much stops there.

Oh yeah, Keith's kicks some serious ass. There was one sandwich with gravy on it that just makes my mouth water thinking about. You could actually feel your arteries hardening while eating it.

How does it compare to Schwartz's? I've never been able to find a good smoked meat sandwich outside of Montreal.

Meyer's on 11st sw, (beside the Galaxy) makes a nice smoked meat sandwich on City Rye bread. No fries though.

You can order Shwartz's online too! My buddy has ordered online, and it was delicious! Call me when it arrives... :lol:

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index_eng.html

Haven't been in a while, but Varsity Subs (pizza too) is an awesome Mom and Pop place. Only like two tables in the front and that includes the horizontal Pacman machine. Used to get a footlong sub for $4, sweet. Man I hate Subway.

Can't speak to Calgary but....locally I suggest....

Best riverside sub ever - Railway Deli in Canmore - soooooooooo good. Place is owned by former Post Hotel Chefs (5 star quality)

Lake Louise - most over-priced / under-quality is mountain Restaurant (husky) - greasy nasty gut rot, visit LL bar and Grill - Best eats, low cost, Lake Louise Hostel - nicest (and only) patio, visit Historic Train Station Restaurant. - Biggest surprise, Post hotel for lunch, surprisingly affordable (15-20 for lunch) true 5 star domain- Best local haunt for reasonable dinner, the Outpost restaurant in basement of post.

Honourable mention - Somewhat unhealthy and unrealistically large portions, legendary gut filling capacity road trip traditional heavy meal nosh - Frontier Restaurant on left as entering Revelstoke - no trucker leaves hungry, no angler leaves unsatisfied...Ooops I mean on the right as you enter Revy (on the hwy)

Boogie Buggers kicks Tommy Burger butt on taste, vibe and price

The Red Bus just off of 11 Street SE has a good vibe and pretty good poutine (I forgot the name)

I guess Spolumbo's has a good vibe but isn't much of a dive in the new digs.... they still make a great sub

The Deer Head Cafe on Edmonton Trail was ok but is gone now

Chicken On The Way has it all if only it was sit down

The Palomino Smoke House has great food but is an expensive place made to look like a Dive

The St Louis and The King Eddy were fun to eat at. Not great food but they sure made up for it on the Dive part. Speaking of dives it's too bad The National didn't get their Diner finished The National had an outdoor bar back in '99 and had steak and corn on the cob for 3 or 4 bucks. It was great place (the best patio in Calgary) too bad it didn't take off.

I would pass on Peters because they don't make their fries from scratch

Calgary needs a good:

-pancake house

-tiki lounge

-montreal style deli (there must be one in Calgary somewhere) now I'm craving latkes :(

Boogie Buggers kicks Tommy Burger butt on taste, vibe and price

The Red Bus just off of 11 Street SE has a good vibe and pretty good poutine (I forgot the name)

I guess Spolumbo's has a good vibe but isn't much of a dive in the new digs.... they still make a great sub

The Deer Head Cafe on Edmonton Trail was ok but is gone now

Chicken On The Way has it all if only it was sit down

The Palomino Smoke House has great food but is an expensive place made to look like a Dive

The St Louis and The King Eddy were fun to eat at. Not great food but they sure made up for it on the Dive part. Speaking of dives it's too bad The National didn't get their Diner finished The National had an outdoor bar back in '99 and had steak and corn on the cob for 3 or 4 bucks. It was great place (the best patio in Calgary) too bad it didn't take off.

I would pass on Peters because they don't make their fries from scratch

Calgary needs a good:

-pancake house

-tiki lounge

-montreal style deli (there must be one in Calgary somewhere) now I'm craving latkes :(

Oh ya...knishes and latkes....Calgary needs a good Jewish food restaurant ala Toronto's Pickle Barrel. I've heard that My Marvin Deli on 4th and 22nd (is that the right name?) serves that stuff. But I've also heard it's not very good. Every time I find myself there I just go into Mercato for some pear and gorgonzola pizza and forget about the latkes.

Oh ya...knishes and latkes....Calgary needs a good Jewish food restaurant ala Toronto's Pickle Barrel. I've heard that My Marvin Deli on 4th and 22nd (is that the right name?) serves that stuff. But I've also heard it's not very good. Every time I find myself there I just go into Mercato for some pear and gorgonzola pizza and forget about the latkes.

I've tried My Marvins a couple of times at 4th & 22nd it was well below average. I seem to recall it was at another location and was alright