Fly Fusion Forums

Spey In Saltwater??

reevesr1

Guys,

In my limited experience with fly fishing and salt water, I have noticed that ability to cover water is a major detractor when not sight casting. Seems however that a Spey rod might even the field a bit if 100' casts are possible. Also, the ability to cast bigger streamers would be a significant deal. The biggest advantage could be wear and tear on my shoulder! Anyone have any experience with spey in saltwater? Any major temperature effects in tropical/sub tropical water?

I have not used my Spey rod in the salt yet, but I have done lots of ocean fishing with the hardware and see nothing but opportunity with the Spey rod. As for corrosion issues with the reel, just clean it and the line after each use. If you fished the salt often, then you could get a reel that was corrosion protected and sealed and maybe a heavy duty drag, depending on the species, but for occassional use, not really a problem.

Same for the lines, they do make lines for tropical water, but they are usually specailty lines for species specific fishing applications, used with single handed rods. Airflow has Tarpon, Bonefish, Billfish, Striper lines, each with their own individual tapers for different presentations/conditions using single handers, but not for spey lines.

Many of the Surf Casters use over head casts with their Spey Rods and I have seen a few posts at other spey sites mention they were using Rio Outbound lines for these applications. Two handed Overhand casting is sometimes used due to the wave action making anchored spey casts difficult, not to mention the wind that is often howling when the tides are rolling in. For stillwater Costal flats, the usual Spey casts should be no problem.

I've used mine for Coho and Pinks off the beach. Ussualy an over head cast or a snap T / circle C cast works well, gets the fly out to where the fish are. With the popularity of 'switch' rods I've started casting a Beulah 10'6 7wt, works well over head (matched with a Rio Outbound 10wt floating line) and also as a small river spey rod (Hardy mach 2 salmon line). i always give all my gear a good rinsing afterwards.

Colin