Fly Fusion Forums

Do We Pay Too Much?

Wouldn't know much about any of this marketing BS but do know this, look at the secondary used market what makers stuff was "good" or not. Used entry level ($2-300) offshore made graphite rods are 50-60 bucks used but used lighter line RPL+s still regularly bring 3 to 400 bucks (450 new) and I just watched a good used but now discontinued Sage 389LL bring $565 usd on evilbay, more than new. Y'all tell me, whats the better maker?

I picked up my 389 LL used about 15 years ago. Came with a Lamson 1, two spare spools and three lines.

To this day it is my favorite rod to cast. Does everything well except big weighted flies. Anything from a 10 down is just pure joy. Biggest fish landed is a 24" brown after dark on a spinner. Rod has never been a problem turning fish or laying down delicate casts.

Honestly if someone offered me $800 for the outfit (a lot more than I paid) there is no way I would let it go.

If anyone gets the chance to try one - or better yet - buy one - I am very sure you won't regret it.

MC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what your paying for is the fact that there alot lighter and still have the strength and power to compete against any rod out there. Heres some shootouts from one of the best fly fisherman in the world. You will see there about as unbiased as you can get.

Visit My Website Sorry couldnt seem to link it without that coming up, but its George Andersons website.

Very good article - took me a second to find - very thorough and seems fairly unbiased I agree.

I pay too much by bying too much. Why do I think I need 9 flyrods.

Fly rods are like beer, one is never enough! :cheers:

They are also like a lot of flies, made to catch the fisherman, not the fish! :hls;:

I do think a lot of rods are overpriced. The makers have a captive buyer in the winter, reading magazines, and dreaming of the perfect, effortless cast. How come last years "next best thing", quickly changes to this years dust collector?

I have struggled to get a rod that I like to cast as much as 2 piece Dawia Whiskerfly #5 wt. I bought in the early '90's. I have bought other rods for lake, Travel etc, and have been disappointed with the results.

So the question is how many favorite rods does one need to cover all situations(stream, big river, lake, streamer, saltwater, pike .......) and how many dust collectors will we need to buy to find them?

Cheers,

Dirk

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

I have always had low end rods until a friend taught me to build my own. I am a Sage XP fan because I could build one for around 400.00 dollars. For me well worth the investment. It is interesting that I would have to pay 75.00 dollars to get it repaired if I mail it to them but from what I have been told, if you drop it off to them, it is free??????

Looks like prices have dropped making room for their new Xi line.

I picked up my 389 LL used about 15 years ago. Came with a Lamson 1, two spare spools and three lines.

To this day it is my favorite rod to cast. Does everything well except big weighted flies. Anything from a 10 down is just pure joy. Biggest fish landed is a 24" brown after dark on a spinner. Rod has never been a problem turning fish or laying down delicate casts.

Honestly if someone offered me $800 for the outfit (a lot more than I paid) there is no way I would let it go.

If anyone gets the chance to try one - or better yet - buy one - I am very sure you won't regret it.

MC

I've heard a lot about the 389 LL recently and have also heard that the new ZXL 386 is very similar. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these rods?