Fly Fusion Forums

Skid Bitches

cuttbow

Also, on occasion when you coat your fly with floatant sometimes the floatant is enough to make the entire hook float (point included). I usually coat the fly and then just wet two fingers with spit and rub off any floatant from the hook bend to the point. Depends on the size and gauge of your hook though.

You can also, in the vise, take time to trim or thin the hackle immediately on the underside of the fly. I found this works well for caddis type patterns and it may just improve the silhouette from the underside view from the fish to resemble an actual insect instead of a big tuft of feathers.

As well if you purchase your flies instead of tying them, remember that Americans tend to over-hackle their dry flies anyway (generally speaking) this causes a less-than-insect-like shape for the fish and can cause them to float in a rather bizzare manner sometimes.

What is a skid bitch? I've never heard of them before.

A number of Golden Stone, Salmon fly and other species of stone fly imitation fished on the surface to match the egg laying and skimming mating original.

Skid = What they do on the water

Bitch = Gender

Definition of name = Trout surface smashing action. Heart attack city. Or the ever popular Dame which risform do I cast to.Lots of different patterns.