Fly Fusion Forums

Quick Intro & Problem Landing Fish On Dry

Well I got off on the wrong foot on the boards posting my fishing success when the particular lake was closed :masterbaiter: . Turns out June 16 isn't "opening day" for everything, so reading the regulations is key. Anyway, I'm 21 finishing up my accounting degree @ UofC. Evenings are enjoyed at my favorite spots on the bow, weekends in the mountains, hiking/fishing.

I started the year with a 2 month skunk spree, after which I decided to quit fishing for a month. Well my season has slowly improved to the point where I can now hook into fish more often.

Got out last night to my secret spot, and there were lots of risers. I hooked 4, all of them over 20"(judging by the jumping) and rainbows. All 4 snapped off. Now usually when I hook a fish I am really careful when I have 3.4lb on, but lately I get the feeling that I need a stronger tippet. As soon as I hook the fish it goes crazy and pulls so hard that I have very little time to react and let him run. Then the jumping ensues. If I still have a fish on after all this ruckus, it usually takes one last hard go at it, and ends up getting away. This problem is only compounded by weeds. My setup consists of 9ft 5lb leader, 4-5 ft 3lb tippet. Oh yea my rod has a 1.5' section broken off the top :D so that could be the problem too.

Anyway what kind of setup do you guys run for big trout on the dry?

Hmmm... I'd say you need to get a new tip section (or have your's repaired) would be your 1st order of business!!

P

Well I got off on the wrong foot on the boards posting my fishing success when the particular lake was closed :masterbaiter: . Turns out June 16 isn't "opening day" for everything, so reading the regulations is key. Anyway, I'm 21 finishing up my accounting degree @ UofC. Evenings are enjoyed at my favorite spots on the bow, weekends in the mountains, hiking/fishing.

I started the year with a 2 month skunk spree, after which I decided to quit fishing for a month. Well my season has slowly improved to the point where I can now hook into fish more often.

Got out last night to my secret spot, and there were lots of risers. I hooked 4, all of them over 20"(judging by the jumping) and rainbows. All 4 snapped off. Now usually when I hook a fish I am really careful when I have 3.4lb on, but lately I get the feeling that I need a stronger tippet. As soon as I hook the fish it goes crazy and pulls so hard that I have very little time to react and let him run. Then the jumping ensues. If I still have a fish on after all this ruckus, it usually takes one last hard go at it, and ends up getting away. This problem is only compounded by weeds. My setup consists of 9ft 5lb leader, 4-5 ft 3lb tippet. Oh yea my rod has a 1.5' section broken off the top :D so that could be the problem too.

Anyway what kind of setup do you guys run for big trout on the dry?

Having decent flex in the tip of your rod helps protect light tippet, so if the missing 1.5' was where most of the tip flex was that could be a part of the problem. Your tippet mono might also have degraded. Pull some off the spool and see how easily it breaks. Sometimes even a spool of mono you just bought a few months ago might have been sitting in the shop for a long time. If they're breaking off because you still have the line pinched down with your finger when they start to run, the only thing to do is work on improving your reaction time.

You'll be definately breaking fish off without that rod tip section ... especially on lighter tippets. You never did say what WT of rod, but if it was originally a 5 or 6wt , you'd be fishing dries on small tippet with the equivalent of an 8WT now... one word ****SNAP****!!! (as you've found out)

Yea its a cheap Walmart fishing rod that I learned to fly fish on. I guess it's time to upgrade. It was a 5 wt, and I like the action so I'll look for a 9' 4pc 5wt.

Oh yea how do you guys tie 12lb to 6lb, and what knot do you use? The knot I use(don't know the name) only works when the sizes are close, I doubt it will work on 12->6.

Yea its a cheap Walmart fishing rod that I learned to fly fish on. I guess it's time to upgrade. It was a 5 wt, and I like the action so I'll look for a 9' 4pc 5wt.

Oh yea how do you guys tie 12lb to 6lb, and what knot do you use? The knot I use(don't know the name) only works when the sizes are close, I doubt it will work on 12->6.

Acct:

Use this site:

http://www.animatedknots.com/

I like the double or triple surgeon's knot for joining 2 lines, even if they are different diameter's.

Absolutely get your rod tip repaired!

If you use tapered leaders, 3x to 4x is plenty light. Ocassionally 5x, seldom 6x for the Bow. That's generaly 8-9 lbs test down to 1-2 lbs.

Smitty

I try hard not to go less than 5X for dry fly. Bigger if I can get away with it.

It is your tip that is breaking the tippet, though. Time for an upgrade. One tip for your purchase- go a line weight lighter on the rod, compared to the line, for most makes of rods (ie bu a 4 wt rod if you want to throw a 5 wt line). This is especially good true if you are a new-ish caster.

Also, I'd recommend building a rod, if you like tinkering with fishing gear. Great value and a personal touch. Most rod blank companies, contrary to popular opinion, have warrantees as good or better than major rod manufacturers.