Fly Fusion Forums

Frustrated.

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

I dont mean to go on a rant here but i have some thoughts.

A lot of the rivers that have once been amazing and deserted, where you used to be able to walk anywhere and not see a soul throughout the day, have been trashed.

Just an example: one river down in the nordegg area that has been an amazing river for a while is now getting run over with anglers. 2 years ago the campgrounds along this river held little to no people. This year, every pool i've walked to has had anglers. Even hard hike ins have had anglers. Two people in pontoon boats came drifting down and ruined our fishing for the afternoon. Im starting to get a little frustrated about this because some people on this board cant keep their mouths shut.

This might be too much to ask but if you're going to talk about a river or lake and give advice to someone, maybe just do it through a personal message. Everyone is complaining about rivers being over-run with anglers but one of the main causes for this is people not being able to keep there mouths shut on the internet. Members aren't the only ones who can view any of the discussions. Guests can just come right in and look over anything. Along with poachers who if they see a 26+" bull or brown posted along with the name of lake or river. Now have the idea that there are big fish in this area. And that beautiful bull or brown or rainbow or whatever the hell it is, might be sitting on the poachers dinner plate the next weekend.

If you're going to post pictures, i would suggest you dont say the name of the area you are fishing in, and it is just plain rude to go out post on a persons thread saying the name of the area. Pm the guy and ask if he minds you posting that.

Im going to say that i have been guilty in posting the names of lakes and rivers. But seriously its going to have to stop if we dont, we might be buying tickets to fish these great rivers that alberta has in the next few years.

So what im saying is, if you find something special and dont want it ruined, keep your mouth shut.

This is from a 14 year olds perpective...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the guy who posted detailed directions for a spot on the Highwood a few years back. Within 24 hours there was over 600 views of the topic.

People post about spots here without thinking twice, but you'd never ever think of telling hundreds of people about it.

I share lots by PM, but I don't like posting information for that exact reason.

I dont mean to go on a rant here but i have some thoughts.

A lot of the rivers that have once been amazing and deserted, where you used to be able to walk anywhere and not see a soul throughout the day, have been trashed.

Just an example: one river down in the nordegg area that has been an amazing river for a while is now getting run over with anglers. 2 years ago the campgrounds along this river held little to no people. This year, every pool i've walked to has had anglers. Even hard hike ins have had anglers. Im starting to get a little frustrated about this because some people on this board cant keep their mouths shut.

This might be too much to ask but if you're going to talk about a river or lake and give advice to someone, maybe just do it through a personal message. Everyone is complaining about rivers being over-run with anglers but one of the main causes for this is people not being able to keep there mouths shut on the internet. Members aren't the only ones who can view any of the discussions. Guests can just come right in and look over anything.

If you're going to post pictures, i would suggest you dont say the name of the area you are fishing in and it is just plain rude to go out post on a persons thread saying the name of the area. Pm the guy and ask if he minds you posting that.

This is from a 14 year olds perpective...

You're totally right, but there are individuals in this sport who seek fame and believe that;

A: More people knowing about a river means there are more people who will protect it. (Wrong)

B: Fly fisherman should share every detail about rivers so we call go fish together in some type of 'Utopia'.

C: The rivers / lakes are places they can exploit to make money.

I'm with you completely; people need to be quiet. Several rivers / creeks I used to fish with relatively few anglers are now overrun with people because of the internet / mags / and guidebooks.

It is a very unfortunate situation, and this season it has got particularly worse.

You know it's getting bad when there's fly fishers in every pool of a remote mountain stream....throwing lead and bobbers, but at least we can make fun of them.

I don't post much, but the arrogance on here lately about rivers being overcrowded is for lack of a better word stupid. It's ok to be frustrated with the increase of anglers, but due to the increase in AB's pop, people are going to go out and fish and by chance, hit your spot, or they could have been hitting that stretch before you were even born.

I don't think you should share your exact spot (fishermans code), but I will tell someone what decent to big sized systems are good.

Some of the posts make it seem like "only me a my buddies, true fly fishermen should fish this river"

The only things you should have issue with is, 1. Are angles following the regs 2. Are they respecting the system and cleaning up after themselves 3. Are they respecting your area

Its not only fame - some people really want to share their love of the sport. I totally understand that, but I think that the whole approach to the sport has changed. It used to be that your dad, uncle, brother introduced you to a sport and then you in turn only invited those that you believed would appriciate all the wonderful aspects of it.

Now not only is hotspotting an issue but the general promotion of the sport (AEG, Drift Movie, This and other boards etc etc) all lead to more and more people on our rivers.

Evertime someone posts the name of a river, regardless of the obscurity or location, it will draw people. Even if the GPS coordinates aren't listed rivers are easily explored.

Everytime we post a how to article or advice we draw more people to the sport.

I don't think that fly fishermen should stop being helpful but at the same time we are creating our own demise by using publically available information to share our experiences. This allows anyone to enter our inner circle, whereas in the past we were able to carefully choose who we invited along.

Progress - love it or hate it - it will destroy our sport.

Just my thoughts.

I don't post much, but the arrogance on here lately about rivers being overcrowded is for lack of a better word stupid. It's ok to be frustrated with the increase of anglers, but due to the increase in AB's pop, people are going to go out and fish and by chance, hit your spot, or they could have been hitting that stretch before you were even born.

The problem with that logic is that yes with the increase in AB's population there are going to be more people out there but the reality is all these new fly fisher folk are not being spread out amongst the numerous water bodies that are available. Instead they are all congregating at the various spots that sound intriguing after being posted on forums like this.

Some of the posts make it seem like "only me a my buddies, true fly fishermen should fish this river"

Thing is, I can trust most of my buddies that they'll leave an area the same or better as they found it. Have no idea if the same can be true for the 2400+ members and unknown number of guests that view this forum.

The 14 year old gets it, too bad a lot of adults don't. Good on ya kid.

Guest Jeremie

I have been fishing since i was 3 and i picked up the fly rod when i was nine and to some avail, im loosing hope in the future with everything being talked about. Sooner or later the worst is going to come.

Guest Jeremie

I find that salmon and steelhead systems are different though. If there is a particular run of fish that dont specifically spend time in any section of the river thats different.

But Think about it, the bow has some of the best fishing for big fish but other rivers that are smaller then the bow that are getting the crap pounded out of them by people are being ruined. I've found Y sticks for bait fishing in sections of a river that used to produce great fishing but now have little to no Fish residing in that stretch of river. Which brings around the point of the rivers being talked about too much throughout boards and the internet.

In a perfect world there would be lots of fish for everyone, but with all the boneheads who cant keep their mouths shut those opportunities are becoming so limited they have had to put CO's strictly on those areas just for it (Which is great, had this happened a while ago we would have 10xs better fishing, but still one CO can only stop one person) So people that are talking about it publically over the internet, they're the ones ruining it.

There are some great rivers that can handle being talked about. But some cant and some people cant recognize it.

To my way of thinking posting 'Where to' just fuels 'Tragedy of the Commons' /Hardin

at warp speed. I will never understand people thinking they are doing someone

(perhaps themselves) a great public service by posting locations. Isn't part of this

great sport include getting out there and putting your time in ? It is quite sad that the

era of 'discovery on your own' has been replaced with instant gratification and

sense of entitlement so often now displayed in the sport. Oh but don't forget to

keep posting those trip reports. That way I don't have to get off my ass and spend

dollars for gas to find out.

To my way of thinking posting 'Where to' just fuels 'Tragedy of the Commons' /Hardin

at warp speed. I will never understand people thinking they are doing someone

(perhaps themselves) a great public service by posting locations. Isn't part of this

great sport include getting out there and putting your time in ? It is quite sad that the

era of 'discovery on your own' has been replaced with instant gratification and

sense of entitlement so often now displayed in the sport. Oh but don't forget to

keep posting those trip reports. That way I don't have to get off my ass and spend

dollars for gas to find out.

Amen Dude.

No doubt the world wide web and various books have increased peoples intrest in area's that where once remote rivers, creeks, and stillwaters....however if you are complaining about a river that has a campsite beside it that once was empty and is now full..when did you think the secret got let out on that one? Over harvesting will have an impact over time but not likely in the few years you have been fishing these systems sooo I doubt that is the issue of stretches of water that once was boiling with fish and now is empty...I'd say the chances of a loss of habitat is the more contributing factor... You can get pissy with it and let it ruin your day or you can deal with it and walk just a little farther than the next fisherman its all on how you deal with it..... And Supremeleader you are dead wrong...awareness to watersheds that have people fishing it brings an ambassador to the water they are fishing...... Curious to see why you say it does not??? Im out

Guest Jeremie

As much as i like viewing pictures of fish and everything and i dont mind one or 2 people on the river. But when theres 8 or 9 different people at 9 different locations that where the internet is starting to have an impact. The one thing that picks my @$$ is when someone post the location on someones thread who might not want to share the location. But then someone makes the retarded excuse that well they shouldn't have posted pictures in the first place. Well first of all no, thats just a lame excuse to keep the battle or head to head arguement going on.

I've heard of people complaining about the the farther south western river being rediculous this year and if they would've kept their mouths shut over the past years they've been fishing it, then it probably wouldn't be that way.

Im just sharing my thoughts out there so dont get all hyped up over it.

Like c'mon guys, the people that are against what i am saying, like seriously you cant say you havn't noticed the amount of anglers that have increased and if you're a person who would rather catch a couple of fish with 2 people standing in line to fish after you rather then catching more fish, being in a quiet environment and having the peace and quiet of the forest, then you must really have a weird background.

As much as i like viewing pictures of fish and everything and i dont mind one or 2 people on the river. But when theres 8 or 9 different people at 9 different locations that where the internet is starting to have an impact.

Remember Jeremie, you are one of the 8 or 9, and maybe everyone of those other anglers is pissed with you being there too. Maybe it's time to start staying at home and take up knitting or something. I bet you could make a nice sweater, maybe put a big ass fly on the back of it. <--poke--<

Guest Jeremie

whatever, what im talking about is 3 years ago there was only 1 or 2 other people fishing and some people are going to say "well with the increase in population blah blah blah blah blah" umm no, That may have some impact, but with the mentioning of the name of the area on the board that does a lot more damage then that. Its kind of funny because some people dont give a damn and then the next time one you guys go out, and get frustrated with the same circumstances, Dont even bother complaining on this forum.

Guest Jeremie

Just another thing, i saw 1 person on my favourite river last year and we had fished it twice. This year we saw the 8 other people. So if you can give a good explanation on WHY other then the internet and people not being able to keep their mouths shut then i'd like to hear it.

Remember Jeremie, you are one of the 8 or 9, and maybe everyone of those other anglers is pissed with you being there too. Maybe it's time to start staying at home and take up knitting or something. I bet you could make a nice sweater, maybe put a big ass fly on the back of it. <--poke--<

I don't normally respond to these types of posts but Birchy's last post and especially Weedy1's still have me laughing. Thanks for making my day guys.