Fly Fusion Forums

Best Bull Trout River?

I am actually a bit dissapointed with some of the reactions to this seamingly innocent question. I see no harm asking what guys like as their favourite Bull stream, especially when you mentioned some of the more popular to begin with. I don't think there are too many on here who don't know that those 3 rivers hold fair Bulls in them so if someone was to say that one of them was their favourite I really doubt there would be an influx of anglers to that river. Secondly, I do not understand why someone would not answer what their streamer of choice would be. Is there some kind of competition I haven't heard of that would require others to keep their streamers a secret? Is there a worry that suddenly everyone else is going to enjoy catching these fish?

Anyways, enough complaining on my part. I wish I could help you out with this question but I don't hunt Bulls. I would like to but I am not a big streamer guy. But if I was you, I would go out to any of those 3 that you mentioned, find some deep pools and rip some big streamers through them and I would imagine you should be able to have some fun. And if that doesn't work, throw on a hopper-dropper and have some good times with the amazing Cutties in those waters!

I am actually a bit dissapointed with some of the reactions to this seamingly innocent question. I see no harm asking what guys like as their favourite Bull stream, especially when you mentioned some of the more popular to begin with. I don't think there are too many on here who don't know that those 3 rivers hold fair Bulls in them so if someone was to say that one of them was their favourite I really doubt there would be an influx of anglers to that river. Secondly, I do not understand why someone would not answer what their streamer of choice would be. Is there some kind of competition I haven't heard of that would require others to keep their streamers a secret? Is there a worry that suddenly everyone else is going to enjoy catching these fish?

Anyways, enough complaining on my part. I wish I could help you out with this question but I don't hunt Bulls. I would like to but I am not a big streamer guy. But if I was you, I would go out to any of those 3 that you mentioned, find some deep pools and rip some big streamers through them and I would imagine you should be able to have some fun. And if that doesn't work, throw on a hopper-dropper and have some good times with the amazing Cutties in those waters!

No cutties any were near those rivers either!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was not being sarcastic, i thought about the implications of defaming your provincial fish with my ignorant texas hands and i changed my mind

Say onthefly7...a very good river was disclosed to you already, but you will have to excuse the rest of the fishers in Calgary, because as you just said it is their 'provincial fish', I'm out of BC, and never did get excited out of catching bulls, or for that matter chum salmon..BUT..catching the char in it's upper environment, way up in God's Country, and yes Sir...now that is Not a story full of..OEEID78gghLlG9GpYcZDCKOm0G8.gif................just a bit of humour to lighten up this thread and make the Texan guest welcome!....Wolfie

...Bloody hell...just read your post...PeteZahut..and my hat goes off to you...well spoken!!

sheep, highwood, oldman, crow, castle. they all have bulls. Knowing where to look and how to fish them, well if your from texas... you'll know how to extract a fish from cover as I assume you fish bass... so do the same but now in flowing water. big poppers, bass style streamers, saltwater stuff, will work. Look for dark caves/ledges in the river rock edges or bottom. Good luck.

onthefly7, I have caught a few bullies. I am no bully expert but I'll be more then happy to show you some waters that I have hooked some bullies. You are from Texas and I don't expect you will be increasing the pressure on my favorites. If i am in town (damn work). PM me and we'll talk

Guest Jeremie

I would say the best rivers could be, sheep, oldman, livinstone, castle, muskeg. Although there are many others these have the biggest bulls i would say. In august valemount (Close to BC/Alberta border, approximatly 45 mins from jasper) almost every single river has bulls running up the river rearing and getting ready to spawn. Anything that looks like a small cutthroat/ bow/ whitefish will do and you'd be surprised by the size of cutties that will hit a double bunny in red and white.