Fly Fusion Forums

How Do You "not Fish For Bull Trout"

So I'm not a river guy by any means basically by my proximity to them....and the steady action Bullshead provides. But, I'm down in Montana and spent yesterday fishing the Middle fork of the Flathead river. The sign at the access point says it is illegal to fish for Bull Trout. Now, I can understand if there were only one species- Bull Trout....then you don't fish. But with there being Cuttthroat, Rainbows, Lakers, Whities and Bull Trout I just can't get my mind around it. There would be the more obvious large streamers to target them but outside of that I just don't get it.

The reason I ask is because I caught 3 fish...1 cuttthroat, 1 ???( I was chatting with a raft full of people and caught one while discussing my day of fishing to that point. They proceed to applaud my efforts and I got distracted....just before he was at my feet he got off. Either a cutty or bow though.) And a skinny 12" Bull Trout. So with the Bull if the game officer showed up while I had him hooked what would the outcome be? I was using a stonefly immitation so wasn't targeting them per se.

So, is this just a really hokey rule that they cannot enforce or is there something I just don't quite understand......or both!

Mark

Bull trout can definitly be targeted with big, big streamers (usually white with red slashes, but not exclusively), but generally can be caught (and have been caught) on other FF tackle (nymphs and even dries). I think with fishing the areas you mentioned, intent is important and if one were to hook into a Bully unintentionally (and released properly and with respect) it would be overlooked...

P

So I'm not a river guy by any means basically by my proximity to them....and the steady action Bullshead provides. But, I'm down in Montana and spent yesterday fishing the Middle fork of the Flathead river. The sign at the access point says it is illegal to fish for Bull Trout. Now, I can understand if there were only one species- Bull Trout....then you don't fish. But with there being Cuttthroat, Rainbows, Lakers, Whities and Bull Trout I just can't get my mind around it. There would be the more obvious large streamers to target them but outside of that I just don't get it.

The reason I ask is because I caught 3 fish...1 cuttthroat, 1 ???( I was chatting with a raft full of people and caught one while discussing my day of fishing to that point. They proceed to applaud my efforts and I got distracted....just before he was at my feet he got off. Either a cutty or bow though.) And a skinny 12" Bull Trout. So with the Bull if the game officer showed up while I had him hooked what would the outcome be? I was using a stonefly immitation so wasn't targeting them per se.

So, is this just a really hokey rule that they cannot enforce or is there something I just don't quite understand......or both!

Mark

I was watching a show on PBS I believe, called Columbia Country, and they were fishing and came across the same situation, their take on it was that you shouldn't be specifically targetting bulls and that if you accidentally caught a bull while angling for other species the idea was don't take a picture don't take the fish out of the water and release as quickly as possible.

I'd highly recommend contacting Fish and Game down there or speaking to someone at one of the shops to get clarification. I think what Pete and Trailhead said is probably accurate, but why risk a fine?

It's if you are actively targeting bull trout within reasonable guidelines. Ie a fast sinking head line with a large streamer would lead to a fine if the warden observed your actions and believed you were targeting the species. If however you accidently hook into a bull trout like you did, you are require to immediately release the fish. There is also some rule that if you are consistently catching bulltrout from non-conventional methods(???) I think this means say your nymphing with a stone fly and are continually hooking bull trout that you are supposed to change setups.

yall nailed it.. have had many clients up here fishing for bulls tellin me about not being allowed too fish for them there... basically they ar elooking for dudes with 8wt sink tips and big flies moving fast and hitting larger pools only.. its a weird f*cking rule..... and is hard too understand....... but it is what it is .......