Fly Fusion Forums

Pike On A 5wt

I'm heading out to Saskatchewan this weekend to the inlaw's place. They are on lake wich has Pike and Walleye, I'm taking my fly rod along. I have a 5 wt, would this be to light if I hooked onto a pike? I've picked up a couple of Pike leaders and thought I would mainly try for the Walleye, but I might hook a Pike as well. Am I crazy to try this or will it be a hell of a fight? I've also packed the spincaster to be sure.

TIA, Fastpoke

I've landed the odd pike on a 4 weight. They were smaller pike but it was no problem. A bigger rod for chucking bigger streamers. However if you are looking for the big guys a 7 or 8 weight would be a better choice. Sounds like you're targeting walleye so go for it!

Rod size is related mainly to the size of fish targeted,if its mostly small jacks(hammerhandles) and walleye you will be fine but match your flies to your 5wt ie clousers,deceivers,buggers etc.... in sizes 4.6.8. If you want to toss the big stuff ie double bunnies etc... you would be better off with a 7,8,9 wt rod. If you are targeting larger fish the 5wt will lack the backbone necessary to land the fish in a timely fashion and will put undue stress on the fish. Have fun!!