Fly Fusion Forums

Skagit Master

headscan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone had the chance to view it yet? Looks really good. Also, is there a place in town to grab it, or do you still have to order it online.

Cheers.

Just ordered it on-line, couldn't find it in town anywhere that I've been, but maybe somebodys got it.

• 2 weeks later...
Not a huge fan.

Have to agree. I think it's partly because the production quality is dismal compared to the Rio video. When he started using the pizza plate and straw to demonstrate the casting plane I actually laughed out loud. About half an hour of the two hours is useful.

the best one is Spey to Z where he compares skagit casting to a beer truck lol makes you remember it and think about it while on the river though. Wouldn't mind watching this skagit master one though... kinda off topic but has anyone seen "The Perfect Cast" the first from the Henrik Mortensen series? The trailer on his website looks pretty sweet. heres a link to it if your interested Perfect Cast Teaser

I've seen Distance and Delicacy and Cracking the Code. Pretty decent videos, but as I've said before - Henrik's fish handling makes me shudder.

After thinking about it, I realized that the main reason I was disappointed with Skagit Master was that I was looking for something a little more intermediate to advanced. The best part in the video was him doing some improvised casts around obstacles in the water.

the best one is Spey to Z where he compares skagit casting to a beer truck lol makes you remember it and think about it while on the river though. Wouldn't mind watching this skagit master one though... kinda off topic but has anyone seen "The Perfect Cast" the first from the Henrik Mortensen series? The trailer on his website looks pretty sweet. heres a link to it if your interested Perfect Cast Teaser

dude watch all 4!!!! he is a skilled caster! really dig al of his videos.. minus his fish handling like headscan mentioned.....

just watched skagit master and i was diggin it!!!! has some good stuff on skagit style casting imho didnt get too complex, will be good for anyone who wants too learn more about skagit casting forsure!!!! liked the tying segments and the times ed briefly went over the history of skagit/intruders why he fishes em.. switch rods etc.. definetly worth the watch!!

It was great! Nothing fancy, but Ed really takes the time to reinforce important basic aspects of his casts through repetition. Should be very helpful for a novice such as myself to dial in my casting. History was great, he even threw in a bit of scotchin. The dude that was drinking scotch with Ed while he was tying was hilarious. I did notice a fair bit of product placement/advertising thorughout the flick.

I did notice a fair bit of product placement/advertising thorughout the flick.

Ed is Loomis and Simms pro-staff, and I think they also sponsored the video. Same with that Western River Conservation thing. I guess I'd rather see a bit of that if it makes the difference between the video getting made or not. Plus they're up front about it compared to most movies where all the computers are Macs, the characters only drink Coke, all the Transformers are GMs, etc.

It was great! Nothing fancy, but Ed really takes the time to reinforce important basic aspects of his casts through repetition. Should be very helpful for a novice such as myself to dial in my casting. History was great, he even threw in a bit of scotchin. The dude that was drinking scotch with Ed while he was tying was hilarious. I did notice a fair bit of product placement/advertising thorughout the flick.

Jerry French, guide at Alaska West and all around fantastic individual

• 2 months later...

I just watched Spey to Z last night, this video is awesome. I found the instruction to be very well planned out and all three guys are awesome teachers. The Rio video is great as well but I think some of the basic principles of spey casting aren't stressed enough for beginners. I'm curious to see the Skagit vid. Does anyone have a copy and want to trade for either of these other vids, I have a bunch of other fly fishing and tying vids as well?