Fly Fusion Forums

Top 15

sallinger

just being a newb to flyfishing i was wondering what would be the top 15 dry flies a guy should have in his arsenal? i wont try to go and tie them just yet but next time i go out and pick up new flies i will look for specific ones that other people recommend trying. any input would be great. right now i have fished mostly around cochrane area including bow and dogpound and jumpingpound. if that helps any. thanks in advance.

15 dries not 15 but covers the regulars in my dry fly Box

Adams

Stimulator

elk hair caddis

royal whulff

yellow humpy

comparadun

Madam X

Turk's Tarantula

Foam Hopper

klimkenhammer.

elk hair ant

Blue Winged Olive

This would be a pretty good starter pack.... Once you get these in various sizes you'll magically end up with another 20 different types of flies and your flyboxes will multiply like spores. I would say I catch 95% of my fish on these (I suck at streamers, so I didn't put any in).

- Turk's Tarantula

- Orange Stimulator

- Hopper

- Chernobyl Ant

- Big Black Ant (my own)

- Copper John

- BH Pheasant Tail

- BH Hare's Ear

- Stonefly

- Caddis Emerger

- BH Prince

- Elk Hair Caddis

- Griffiths Gnat

- Parachute Adams

- Green Drake

- Blue Winged Olive

• 3 weeks later...

Dude:

What about nymphs? I know you asked for dries, and when I started fly fishing all the patterns were so damn confusing (e.g, CDC PMD emerger). I didn't even know what a nymph was and thought all flies were dry flies.

Really depends on where and when you are fishing. The real question to ask is "what insect activity will be going on then?" For example, fisin the Bow in September, maybe small BWO's and Trico patterns, perhaps hoppers. Tricos fished early morning, Hoppers on hot, windy afternoons on grassy sections, BWO on chilly, rainy days. So weather, water temperature, area, and time of year are your main variables.

Forget the patterns for now and get into the entomology.

You can cover most of mayflies with a Parachute Adams in various sizes, 12-18. Best all-round dry-fly mayfly pattern. A good hopper pattern can also be used for stones and salmonflies. Some people like an ant or beetle pattern. Add definitely a caddis pattern, like an X-Caddis and you are set. Maybe a Humpy as an attractor pattern on rougher water. Nevermind 10 or 15 dry flies. 4 patterns covers most situations. It is more about the size and most importantly, presentation, i.e., how you fish it. Also, you can always clip off the bottom hackle on a caddis to make it sit lower.

Hope this helps.

Parker