Fly Fusion Forums

Stocking A Lake

i have a friend who has some property with a lake on it but it has no fish in it. he looked into getting it stocked but the province would charge him ALOT of money to do it. i suggested he do it himself. i heard a story of some guy dumping a bucket of perch into celestine lake in jasper many years ago and it's teeming with fish. is it just that easy? how long would a bucket full of perch live during transport? is this even legal? (obviously the jasper situation wasn't). thoughts?

Public or private I'm pretty sure you need a fish harboring license to transport and hold fish... Try contacting the private hatcheries... I'm sure Sun will give you some of his perch, but they are a little aggressive and you might be having bonking events in a few years as well!! Get him to stock some trips!!

P

i have a friend who has some property with a lake on it but it has no fish in it. he looked into getting it stocked but the province would charge him ALOT of money to do it. i suggested he do it himself. i heard a story of some guy dumping a bucket of perch into celestine lake in jasper many years ago and it's teeming with fish. is it just that easy? how long would a bucket full of perch live during transport? is this even legal? (obviously the jasper situation wasn't). thoughts?

yea like uber metnioned u cnat just take a bucket of fish form some lake or stream and stock it.. u can contact some fish farms can get fish too stock a lake tho! its not super cheap u need oto get the gov. out too test teh water tell u roughly how many fish u can put in it etc then u purchase the fish!

We had a pond we stocked with rainbows several times. Transported them ASAP in aerated 45 gallon drums from the hatchery in Calgary. As far as cost and permits, I'd have to ask, not sure on the details. DIY "bucket brigade" stocking is definitely not recommended.. or legal.

Uberfly is right......you need a licence to stock private ponds, and, as Sun and many others have pointed out on this board, huge problems have been created by the "bucket brigade" conducting illegal fish introductions.

Alberta Agriculture has been responsible for issuing aquaculture licences since the late 1990s. Contrary to what you were told, the cost of the licence is really low, as indicated by this excerpt from Agriculture's website

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departme...f/all/agdex3487

"A Recreational Fish Culture Licence allows the holder to keep cultured fish, as specified, in the water body named on the licence. This licence is intended for the recreational, non-commercial use of the applicant. Fish cannot be sold under the authority of this licence. Recreational Fish Culture licences are $10 per year or $50 for a five-year period. New applicants, or applicants who have allowed their licence to lapse for one year or more, will also be required to pay an additional $42.00 to have the water body inspected. The water body must be inspected to ensure it is situated on privately-owned land and isolated from other water to the point that stocking fish will not adversely affect the environment or native fish."

Also copied below is some other key information from this website pertaining to the restricted area of the province.

"What is the restricted area?

There is one geographic area in Alberta where special conditions apply due to the sensitive nature of the surrounding natural fisheries. An area roughly described as the south-west quarter of the province is restricted to stocking Rainbow trout or triploid grass carp only.

As seen in Figure 1, the boundary of the restricted area is irregular. If you are unsure as to the location of your water body in relation to this zone, please contact the licencing coordinator at 780-427-5083 for more information.

Can I licence a pond on public land that I lease from the government?

No, licences will not be issued for ponds located on public land. You can, however, receive a licence for a pond located on land that you lease if the land is privately owned.

Can I move native fish, caught in other water bodies, to my pond?

No, it is illegal to take, use or attempt to use live fish or fish eggs taken from public water for stocking a fish culture premise.

Can I licence a pond that is owned jointly by me and my neighbour?

Yes, but first your neighbour must sign the application form giving his/her consent to allow you to operate a fish culture facility.

For more information, contact Janet Smalley at 780-427-5083."

Jim