Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing During Runoff?

Hi Guys,

I am expecting runoff for the bow to start any day now(Just in time for the Nw portion of the Bow to open) and was curious if people still fish the river during runoff and how successfull it was? I guess alot depends on how high the runoff is and how long it lasts.

I have usually taken that 3 weeks and fished elsewhere.

I seem to remember some pictures a few years back of some big bulls caught during runoff on the sheep river I think. I know that is quite a bit different type of river and species of fish but it seemed to work ok.

So would it be worth it to try the bow during runoff or am I better off elsewhere?

Thanks

I usually fish NW calgary bow every year when it re-opens, even during run off. And while I don't slay them like some of the guys on the board do in the downstream sections, it is not by any means a futile endeavor. Doesn't fish that poorly unless completely opaque chocolate milk colored water. Stick to edges and known holes with deep nymphs and streamers and you'll probably do okay.

I live in the NW as well and am looking forward to fishing it lots when it opens. I can't say I've never fished it in runoff but have gotten some nice fish up here otherwise. There are definitely lots of big whities. Some of us should get together some night.

So would it be worth it to try the bow during runoff or am I better off elsewhere?

Whether or not it's worth it is subjective. The fish still need to eat so they'll take a fly, but the tactics are a little different. Get out and give it a shot and decide afterwards if you like it or not. Just keep in mind that the currents are strong, water clarity is low, and there can be some big debris floating down so be careful about wading.

2 words. Stone Flies :D

fish em along deep slowish banks that have about 2-4 feet of water. I like grassy banks that are long and easy to fish in high water. Fish are usually on an extreme inside edge (with the faster current on the opposite side of the river).

cheers

Guest JayVee
2 words. Stone Flies :D

Yep Stones worked great last year. Big 20 inchers I bought at Russell's also produced well. Tie something big on and let your nymphs drift along a high bank - there's no need to cast out into the current. And hang on for dear life. Last season was my first and I seem to recall really hard takes. I lost lots of flies and this year I'll be using double nymph rigs instead of triple. Good luck guys.