Fly Fusion Forums

Steripen

I was looking at one of the Steripen systems for hand held water purifiers. Does anyone know if they work, and of all the models they have which one is better.

The Steripen Journey is $180.00 or the Steripen Classic for $80.00 any big difference?

I was thinking of using it on the bow?

good or bad Idea?

Bad idea for the Bow (d/s from any urban center).

While it will kill viruses and bacteria, there is alot of chemical contaminates that the Steri-pen won't touch.

See the topic about eating fish from the Bow: Edible Fish

Plus, you'd need a filter to take out physical contaminates like sediment.

You can really only treat relatively clean water with any confidence.

Llama,

Out of curiosity... Why are you thinking of drinking the water from the bow (I'm not trying to be a dink, just curious)?

P

I was looking at one of the Steripen systems for hand held water purifiers. Does anyone know if they work, and of all the models they have which one is better.

The Steripen Journey is $180.00 or the Steripen Classic for $80.00 any big difference?

I was thinking of using it on the bow?

good or bad Idea?

Gotta agree with the chemical comment.

I have a Katadyn Combi, it combines a silver impregnated ceramic element and a refillable, activated carbon cartridge. It is effective against bacteria and protozoa and also reduces chemicals and bad taste. 0.2 micron ceramic filter.

I used to be on expidetions in the mountians for months at at a time and it worked great, never onve got sick. I even used it to drink Mexican and south american water with no ill effects. Highly recomended if you are willing to shell out the bucks.

Even found this little video on it.

http://www.katadyn.com/caen/technical-supp...ombicombi-plus/

Guest rickleblanc

Hey LlamaLeach, I just picked up a Steripen Journey at MEC. Maybe your price is a typo. Did you mean $108?

Rick

Double checked the price from the Camper village and the Journey is $159.00, must have been a miss quote. called Mountain Coop, price is $105.00

looked at the Classic with water bottle pre-filter Coop $93.00 Village $108.00

Reason to drink the water out of the Bow then I do not neet to carry water.