Fly Fusion Forums

Bow Runoff

Haven't been to the Bow this week but I did notice that driving past the zoo, that the island in front of the parking lot looks to be going under water? Are the drugs "just" starting to take effect or is the river rishing in prep for run off? :unsure::unsure:

Almost went over the waders on the weekend, river is certianly higher. Now is a great time to take note of those undercut banks that the Browns will be hiding under when the river crests. We are just comming up on runnoff, you will notice a big difference over the next month ecven thought runoff is scheduled to be lower this year.

post-2434-1242145601.gif

It's the rain and the floodgates on the dams, at Cochrane it went from 37 cubic meters to 193 and now to 33. At Calgary from 63 cubes to 91 and now back to 67. I've noticed that this happens at this time of year a lot. From what I saw in the mountains on Monday runoff is a ways off, we need a string of hot days. I think it will be a late, short and intense one this year.

IF, you know where to fish (good luck prying that out guys!) it can be one of the best times for big browns. Generally if there is some sort of visablity go fish, you want greenish looking water not that chocolate milk stuff, but watch water levels they can be down right dangerous. I generally paint the siding, mow grass, try growing vegtables again, and tie flies when its much over 200-225CMS, though there are some head cases out there fishing in much more.

So whats everyone's experience with runoff, and high water with respect to fishing numbers? Should I expect a slow few months with low visibility or is there going to just be more food in the system and heavy feeding fish?

Stick to the banks, especially the areas where there are undercut banks, as well as the slower seems. LOTS of trout to be had during run off.

Watch out for the undercut banks, these banks are very easy to fall apart during run off, and even though the river may look like its not moving that fast, it is really moving that fast, also its not whatz ontop of the water that you have to worry about, but it is what is underneith that is a concern. Big tree braches, and all sorts of crap that can drag you down under the water.

Just be careful.