Fly Fusion Forums

Attention Squatters.

Just a heads up for all you folks that love to squat for the summer down south in the Castle area Forestry. The Province has a new land use frame work in place and a lot of the prime sqatters lots along the river are now posted as No Motorized Vehicles. The few remaining spots are filling up fast so better drag your trailer out through the remaining drifts now.

does this not just make the problem even worse for our backcountry?...you close down the established spots that are run to the ground and what are the troublesome squatters (not the responsible random campers mind you) going to do?... MAKE MORE SPOTS BY DEGRADING MORE FORESTRY...ya...great idea dumbasses...rather than wasting money putting these plans into effect, how about reallocating the funds to HIRE MORE ENFORCEMENT...dammit this issue ticks me off...

on a side note, i am a proud and responsible random camper and i hate seeing my daughter's opportunity to enjoy the backcountry, like i did when i was a kid, being flushed down the toilet by irresponsible douches that wreck it for everyone...(i.e.. mclean creek massacre, castle river homesteading, and oldman river squatting grounds)... :curse:

I really hope some one will enforce the 2 week stay limit regulation. These areas are for ALL Albertans not just those yahoos that lay claim and hog the spot for the whole summer!!

I have heard that they are enforcing it more. It's about time!!

DBT, Taco, I agree. Enforcement is the biggest missing piece at the moment. I was part of a research project that looked at recreational use in this area. Study was done by a sexy gal from UCalgary (my wife) and some other folks and was a two-parter. One was a survey of users (stopped folks on the FT road, asked a number of questions). The other part was an inventory of random camp sites/trails. I was AMAZED at how many sites there were. Good news is there were a number of spots that were "responsible" in terms of location, fire rock ring, etc. There were a number of others, however, that, well, lets just say I'm amazed there weren't more forest fires down there.

The survey was quite interesting. We came across everyone from fly-fishers, to hikers, horseback riders and lots of quadders. The majority of people we surveyed were in favor of guidelines, enforcement, respectable use, etc. It is unfortunate, however, that the actions of a few ruin what others can enjoy. Random camping down there is one of my top 5 favorite pasttimes, and I hope it won't all get taken away.

What I don't get is, what is holding back the govt. from more enforcement? I remember fishing one weekend in SE BC and was stopped 2x in REALLY remote locations by an officer to check my hooks/license, etc. Where is all the $$ going? This is more a question of inquiry than accusation. I would be all for spending more on a license IF I could direct my extra $$ to go to enforcing an area I care about. Kind of like donating to a university, you direct your $$ to the area you like the most.....

A great case for supporting the Stream Watch auction, then!!

P

does this not just make the problem even worse for our backcountry?...you close down the established spots that are run to the ground and what are the troublesome squatters (not the responsible random campers mind you) going to do?... MAKE MORE SPOTS BY DEGRADING MORE FORESTRY...ya...great idea dumbasses...rather than wasting money putting these plans into effect, how about reallocating the funds to HIRE MORE ENFORCEMENT...dammit this issue ticks me off...

on a side note, i am a proud and responsible random camper and i hate seeing my daughter's opportunity to enjoy the backcountry, like i did when i was a kid, being flushed down the toilet by irresponsible douches that wreck it for everyone...(i.e.. mclean creek massacre, castle river homesteading, and oldman river squatting grounds)... :curse: