Fly Fusion Forums

Hardy Rods...thread Changed To...

I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Hardy rod, or a Grays. Does anyone have any experience with these rods please let me know whaat you think. Or if you would suggest a model that you think is the ultimate Bow River stick?

Matt

I have a hardy demon 9'6" #6 and i love it. However it is in england right now getting a new tip section. Full warrante i think except for shipping. Throws big flies and little dries just as good. I over lined it to a #7 line (that was max's idea....thanks)which helped get those nymph rigs up and out for 30-40'+ roll casts which is a must on teh bow.Still savin up for the angel someday. been using my loop 5 weight which is a great rod but still miss me demon!

I had my eye on the Hardy, but ended up going with a new Sage Flight 5weight. Apparently they are using the same blanks in it as the Z-Azis in it, pretty excited to try it out. Also I do plan on over weighting it to a 6 to push tandom nymphs and streamers.

Watch out with overlining.

Even though it helps it does hide bad casting

I used my Loop Multi 6wt 9foot 6 with a 6wt WF Rio Gold line last night for throwing small dries. Loved the rod and the line (I will say that it sucked ass for roll casting though)

Sage Flight 5weight. Apparently they are using the same blanks in it as the Z-Azis in it,

Not economically fiasable as then the only differnces would be guides, seat, cork and thread, I think if you weighed corresponding models (490 vs 490) you would find their weight is not the same... did you hear this from retail store staff? I don't think Sage uses the same madrels (sp?) with in seperate model classes, so the tapers are different as well to match the individual composite mixes

Jay

I know its not even in the same ballpark as the Z-axis for quality but bang for the buck and my experience level I'm sure to be happy with it. In the mean time I did alot of digging because I was thinking the same as you, how can they use the same blanks in two rods that are $400 difference in price, is there really $400 worth of better components? There is a website in the states similar to ours ( http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/f...eview-7848.html ) where the guys on there pick apart the new Flight side by side with the Z-axis. Here's what was said. Love to hear anyone's thouhgts. as the last rod I had was a Piece of lumber from crappy tire.

"They have made a substantial upgrade. The graphite is the exact same "Generation 5" technology that Sage uses on the Z-Axis. Plus they changed the name....that is sure to indicate better performance!"

2009 SAGE FLIGHT REVIEW

I cast both the new Flight and the Z-Axis side by side. I cast them both in 6 wt. with the same line and reel set up. Tim Woodward, an area guide and employee of Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho Falls was out with me and he cast both as well as we talked about both of them. Here are our observations:

1. The Flight is actually a fraction of an ounce lighter than the Z. It is a light rod. Having said that, it seemed that the Z felt a little lighter in the hand. I personally think that this has something to do with the taper and "feel" of the rod.

2. Maybe because of the different taper I could feel the Z load a little better for close in casts (15-25 feet). On medium to long casts it was hard to tell a difference.

3. The components are nicer on the Z although I was personally totally satisfied with the quality and build of the Flight. It had a nice knurled uplocking ring for the reel seat and the cork handle was better than I expected. The Flight comes with a Cordura Nylon rod AND REEL case as opposed to the very nice aluminum rod tubes the Z comes with.

4. I have never owned a Z although I have cast them on a few occasions. Tim has owned a few different Z's. Neither of us could tell much difference between the two rods. They are made of the exact same graphite and thus share very similar qualities. Although we could nitpick and find a couple things that felt different to us, we thought that the price difference outweighed any advantages the Z might have by far. If you would have told me that the Flight was a 650 dollar rod I would have totally believed you and also thought that these two rods were obviously in the same category. (does that make any sense?)

Bottom line for me is that I am a working man who likes to splurge on fly fishing equipment even though sometimes I shouldn't. If I feel like I need to buy a new rod in the near future I have no reason to spend more than I might spend on the Flight to feel like I am getting a premium rod.

The same graphite doesn't mean it's the same blank. i just looked up the comparable 6 weight in the flight and axis and also found another thing wrong with above. the axis is lighter then the Flight on all of the same sizes, not the other way around