Fly Fusion Forums

How Should I Choose Fly Fishing Line

Bandi

I see that regardless of the similar characteristics (same AFTMA, density, and type of taper) fly lines may be quite different in length and their taper's length. Also, different fishing conditions (windy, calm), length of cast needed (close to bank fishing, far fishing), or the length of leader (7 ft vs 15 ft ) could require different fly-fishing lines.

What are your tips for choosing fly-lines? What to look for?

Ohoh, the can of worms is opened. I think that you'll find many different opinions as to what lines work best in various conditions, but I think that you'll find most people do the bulk of their fishing with one floating line and one sinking line for each rod they own. They will own and use other lines but there is one combo they use the vast majority of the time. This usually a line they find works well for that rod and their personal casting style. As a general rule, weight forward lines are preferred by guys on this board. I'm in the minority in that I like a double taper for my floating lines. I feel that they offer easier mending and roll casting, hence better line control, plus you get two lines in one. Others will differ in their opinions, and they will be just as right for the way they fish. The nice thing about using one line and learning how to cast it in all weather and water conditions is that life is much simpler and you don't feel you have to change lines when conditions change on the water. In short, try some different lines, pick one you like and just fish it. All of the major brands (Cortland, Scientific Anglers, Rio, etc.) offer a variety of excellent lines. My personal choices are a Cortland 444 SL double taper all my trout rods. I use different lines for pike and saltwater. For streamers, I use 250 grain integrated shooting heads for all trout fishing, whatever brand is recommended by store staff when I buy.

Flyslinger...

Some great info with your response... One question however... How does one "try" various lines without dropping a wad of cash?! Buying a line just to try would get very expensive, especially when you can't really return them! Do fly shops have a bunch of reels loaded with different lines?!

Peter

Ohoh, the can of worms is opened. I think that you'll find many different opinions as to what lines work best in various conditions, but I think that you'll find most people do the bulk of their fishing with one floating line and one sinking line for each rod they own. They will own and use other lines but there is one combo they use the vast majority of the time. This usually a line they find works well for that rod and their personal casting style. As a general rule, weight forward lines are preferred by guys on this board. I'm in the minority in that I like a double taper for my floating lines. I feel that they offer easier mending and roll casting, hence better line control, plus you get two lines in one. Others will differ in their opinions, and they will be just as right for the way they fish. The nice thing about using one line and learning how to cast it in all weather and water conditions is that life is much simpler and you don't feel you have to change lines when conditions change on the water. In short, try some different lines, pick one you like and just fish it. All of the major brands (Cortland, Scientific Anglers, Rio, etc.) offer a variety of excellent lines. My personal choices are a Cortland 444 SL double taper all my trout rods. I use different lines for pike and saltwater. For streamers, I use 250 grain integrated shooting heads for all trout fishing, whatever brand is recommended by store staff when I buy.

Flyslinger...

Some great info with your response... One question however... How does one "try" various lines without dropping a wad of cash?! Buying a line just to try would get very expensive, especially when you can't really return them! Do fly shops have a bunch of reels loaded with different lines?!

Peter

Indeed, I wanted to ask about this? I got the answer. So, it is not customary to return fly-fishing line. :D

Here some shops (and the local fly-fishing club) organizing events where you can try the latest rods/reels and fly lines. You can take your rod or reel and try that with other parts of the tackle. I find this pretty useful. In fact, that was the reason why I started to think about buying different lines for different conditions (it was pretty wind during the last event and some lines surely performed better than others).

BTW, these events are pretty popular here.... so let's hope some Calgary shops also recognize the possibility for marketing themselves through these kind of educational events (I forgot to tell that there were casting instructors, as well :).

Flyslinger, thanks for detailed answer. I am a DT guy, too. However, I just loaded WF to one of my reels. I see also so big difference in the length of head of the fly-lines (all being DT 6 lines). I love Vision lines (e.g. Presentation or Target) for general fly-fishing. For streamers, now I use SA Ultra 4 sinking. However. fishing my home rivers, most often I just add a sinking leader (sinking tip) to a DT floating line.

Bandee, where do you hail from?!

P

Indeed, I wanted to ask about this? I got the answer. So, it is not customary to return fly-fishing line. :D

Here some shops (and the local fly-fishing club) organizing events where you can try the latest rods/reels and fly lines. You can take your rod or reel and try that with other parts of the tackle. I find this pretty useful. In fact, that was the reason why I started to think about buying different lines for different conditions (it was pretty wind during the last event and some lines surely performed better than others).

BTW, these events are pretty popular here.... so let's hope some Calgary shops also recognize the possibility for marketing themselves through these kind of educational events (I forgot to tell that there were casting instructors, as well :).

All my graphite rods are extra fast action so I mostly will not try underline them but I will go up 2 line classes to get the rod to do what I'm asking in the conditions I'm fishing. My vintage fiberglass rods I'll go up and down at least 2 line classes to find what feel the best to me or in other words, what the rod "likes". General rule of thumb, if a rod "likes" a DT whatever it will "love" a WF one class higher. Then you can play with various tapers within a weight class to fine tune for the feel you're lookin' for. For example, I have a 45 yr old 5/6 wt glass rod that feels somewhat clunky and tip heavy to me. Part of the problem it needs a heavier reel for balance but it just starts to come alive with a longer taper dt 6 so I picked up a short taper wf 1\2 line class heavier line to use on this rod. Hopefully it'll give the rod the "feel" I'm lookin' for. You just hafta keep playin' with it, maybe that why I've built up an inventory of a dozen or so lines and 20 reels and spools.

No one ever said this was a cheap hobby, drives my wife nuts.

I know it can add up in a hurry when you start trying lines and you're buying them. If you have friends who are flyrodders, try some of their lines, even if it's on their gear. At least you can get a feel for how the lines feel on a rod. It will also let you see what overlining or underlining a rod does, as Taco was describing. Although I've never taken a rod to a shop to try a line, some of the shops have let me use my own line to test different rods. It can't hurt to ask. A general rule of thumb for windy days is to use a heavier rod and line outfit. Because we get a fair bit of wind around here and I hate having to overpower a rod, my go to outfit for the Bow is a 7 wt. That makes me lazy at heart, but I'm okay with that.