Fly Fusion Forums

Knots In My Line

brbugger

When learning try exaggerating your "pause" on the backcast to make sure it is straightening out.

P

I just started flyfishing this year. i keep getting knots in my leader when i cast. what am i doin wrong.

When learning try exaggerating your "pause" on the backcast to make sure it is straightening out.

P

That is a good point. I find it helpful to actually look back and watch the line fully straight out - try to feel the "pull" on the rod tip from the line straightening. Once you know what that feels like, you don't have to look at it (and, people on the river will stop laughing at you and wondering what you're doing :numbchuck: ), and you will know when to apply power forward. Practice fishing for the lawn sharks, until you get the feel. Tightlines.... really.

• 4 weeks later...
That is a good point. I find it helpful to actually look back and watch the line fully straight out - try to feel the "pull" on the rod tip from the line straightening. Once you know what that feels like, you don't have to look at it (and, people on the river will stop laughing at you and wondering what you're doing :numbchuck: ), and you will know when to apply power forward. Practice fishing for the lawn sharks, until you get the feel. Tightlines.... really.

Definitely tailing loops. However, the problem with them is that they are caused by more than just failing to let the line go all the way back... more often than not it has to do with the how your rod is moving, how abruptly you stop it, and whether you let your rod tip drift after you come to a complete stop. In essence, your rod should start slowly and then accelerate to a crisp stop. Even little things, like how you hold your rod, and whether you just unconsciously turn your hand grip will affect where the line goes in front and behind you. My advice is to pick up a DVD on fly casting... I've had issues with "wind knots" in the past, and having it demonstrated is the only way you'll be able to get past it!

Hello,

I am sure that I am not qualified to write in the 'ask a pro' forum, but here is a great video that explains how some tailing loops are formed and how to correct the problem:

http://flyfisherman.com/videos/creepandjab/index.html

Here are some other great videos on casting with lefty kreh:

http://fishbuzz.tv/index.html?channel=left...ng/leftyconcept

Hope they help:)

I mainly saw this problem in my clients associated with "jerky" casting. Abrupt starts and stops instead of "smooth acceleration" through the casting stroke. The more you practise and the smoother your casting becomes, this will go away. All the links above to video's are great.

Think of it this way. Once you have cast the line, you have to wait for it to arrive at it's target. Once it's there you can pull back (in the opposite direction) slowly until it's tight, and when it is, you can then accelerate to toss it back the other way.

Some of the best casters I have ever seen live right in calgary and fish the bow. If you see someone casting nicely, stop by, say hello, and ask to watch them for a while... watch the rod tip and position and not the line as they cast. Should help ya :)