Fly Fusion Forums

New Bow Rod

Jayhad

Hey guys I am looking for a new bow river only rod I was thinking something along the lines of a 5 wt. I want to be able throw, bigger dries, hopper dropper rigs and nymph rigs but be the lightest wt rod possible.

What are the suggestions?

Has anyone tried the Redington CPX 10'6" 5 wt?

Check out the new Beulah Trout Speys, I think Courtney left a couple at South Bow Fly Shop, had a chance to play around with the 6wt (lined with a Hardy Mach 1 Trout 8wt line) very crisp and light in the hands.

Colin

you'd expect someone with that signature would buy a sage..I like my T&T, but i've heard very positive reports about the Z-Axis switchs. Or you could drop the big bucks and buy one of those new Helios's that headscan posted about (you wanted light! never said anything about price range!)

Are you looking at a true double hander or a switch? Also what kind of price range? The Decho 4119 and 5122 are both rods that will do what you're looking for, but if you want to toss streamers as well go with the 5122. Most everyone I know who has a Deer Creek 12'6" 5/6 loves them. Fish Tales is doing a Spey-O-Rama thing this Sunday and might have all three of those rods as well as others for people to try out. I'd go to that and test drive as many rod/line combos as possible before making a decision.

if it were me i would go with a true spey over a switch rod. the echo rods are nice(ive bin able too play around with both of the one mark owns 4 and 5wt) i havnt bin able too cast the reddington cps but i checked it out yesterday at wholesale and it seemed like a nice stick for teh price! the deer creek is a nice rod aswell and will do everything oyu ask rigged with a skagit line. another option would be the multi 7120. the one thign u will find fishing some of the lightweight speys and switches is they dont toss larger streamer rigs or indi rigs well past 50-60 feet but if that is all your really need then you are laughin! personally i have ibn diggin my GASS 6120 but i am leaning towards picking up a opti 7116 for a little more power tossing the larger rigs with ease! if you get a chance i would cast as many rods as you can and ideally rig them up with some of the most extreme rigs u think i might be chucking (large indis with bigger nympsh like stones juans leeches etc and double streamer rigs or 3-4 inch marabou flies)

you'd expect someone with that signature would buy a sage..

That reminds me that I've heard good things about the z-axis 5126. There's also the newer Echo TR 5120, Loomis Dredger 12'6" 5/6, CND Tracker 12'2" 5/6 in addition to the other rods already mentioned. Lots of different lightweight two-handed rods out there now in a variety of actions (and price ranges). The trick is just going to be finding the one that you like most and lining it to suit your style.

I've thrown the Deer Creek for a couple of years now, been my go to Bow rod. It has never failed me. From light dries and skid bitches, to indi rigs, and large cone heads. Performed well on Steelhead last season.

I would second that. I love my DC 12.6 5/6. I have fished it on the coast and on the bow, it worked great in both places on bulls and trout but as SD indicated it handles chromers as well. I fish mine with a compact skagit 420 with a type 6 10-12 foot tip. It's a bit short but it works well if you keep it slow. Plus, the price is great as is the Echo's.

al