Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Vibram Boot Review

Once I heard about the change from Felts to Vibram (Streamtread) from Simms, I was a little sceptical, until I saw how they performed.

Our first demo of the Vibram sole was at our shop, with our Simms rep only being able to show us the sole by itself. To test just how sticky the sole was, we sprayed glass cleaner over glass, and tried to slide the sole over the glass, and to our surprise, it didn't even stutter to a stop, it just stopped. It was pretty exciting to watch, especially with the news that Simms would no longer be manufacturing felts after 2009. Already New Zealand has banned felts, and with SE Alaska having felts made illegal after 2011; Simms has stepped up and pushed the business in the right direction.

A few months later we got our first shipment of the Simms Vibram boots in, and I was quick to get a pair. I have had too many bad experiences with felt soles (including a life-endangering one) that I was very excited to get rid of my old pair, and went fishing with them the next day. They were truly unbelievable.

I've been using the boots for over a month now, and have to say, they are truly the best boots I’ve ever worn. I’d put them between 90-100% of the grip of felt in the water. However, any lack of grip they have in the water, makes up for it a thousand times over with the grip on the shore. There shall be no more fear of wet grass hills; there is no more snow and ice build up on the felts. There is no more ice skating on the shelves and with a quick rinse the boots still look brand new, unlike felts which would already started to deteriorate with a month’s use. Another bonus is the ease of which to stud these boots. Simms has manufactured specially made carbide studs which give the best in traction, and can unscrew for ease of use (great for winter fishing, and the ability to take the studs out so your friend with a drift boat doesn’t get mad at you)

The Bow is not the ultimate in slippery, but we’ve heard reports from as far as the Umpqua, Kalum, Vedder and more in which the Vibram boots, studded with the special studs, are equal to superior of the studded felt that preceded them.

Come give them a try, you’ll quickly be impressed.

P3260171.jpg

Both. Most of their 2008 models are available in Vibram (though they're updated), with a new addition in the G4 Guide (similar to the G3, which is only available in felt, but a whole lot lighter). They also have come out with a new lower end which is only available in felt.

Not all models, but most are offered in the Streamtread.

The following are available with Vibram:

G4 Guide Boot

Guide Boot

Rivershed Boot

Headwaters Boot

Freestone Boot

Women's Headwaters Boot

Pursuit Shoe

Pursuit Sandal

The Vibram Boots range in price from $155.95 to $264.95, with the Pursuit Sandal (completely new this year) comes in at $119.95.

We should be seeing our next Simms shipment by tomorrow, so give us a call or come check out the new gear.

The Vibram Boots range in price from $155.95 to $264.95, with the Pursuit Sandal (completely new this year) comes in at $119.95.

We should be seeing our next Simms shipment by tomorrow, so give us a call or come check out the new gear.

Thanks for the reply, will see ya soon.

Just a quick note for everyone. We received another large shipment today with a bunch more

boots with vibram soles (and a bunch of other stuff). There is another round of boots and packs

from Simms arriving middle of next week.

Hey Skyangler, nice pic on your profile/display. Have that old article at my Cabin. Gets the juices flowing everytime to look at those pics. What's his name... Del Canty? That article I have with that exact pic must be 40 years old. haha

Nick

Hey Skyangler, nice pic on your profile/display. Have that old article at my Cabin. Gets the juices flowing everytime to look at those pics. What's his name... Del Canty? That article I have with that exact pic must be 40 years old. haha

Nick

I knew I recognized that pic from somewhere!

Nick

You are correct Nick..thats Del Canty alright. A fine fisherman, and a man ahead of his time. :)

Was the article you are referring to in Outdoor Life magazine by chance? If so, it would be roughly 20 years ago, or perhaps a bit longer.

You are correct Nick..thats Del Canty alright. A fine fisherman, and a man ahead of his time. :)

Was the article you are referring to in Outdoor Life magazine by chance? If so, it would be roughly 20 years ago, or perhaps a bit longer.

We were just recently talking about how that guy was ahead of his time as well lol. That would probably be the exact mag. Nick was talking about!

They are pretty cheap :), compared to Finnish prices.

Simms Freestone Vibram 145.00EUR (229 CAD)

Simms G4 Vibram Boots 215.00EUR (340 CAD)

Anyone have tried them on the Bow?

Hi Bandee,

I've fished them for over a month on the bow as well as the crow..they're awesome, and have no complaints about them at all.