Fly Fusion Forums

Fallen Timber Info Please.

I was thinking of heading up to Fallen Timber area on easter Friday.

However I have never been up there and just have a couple of questions.

The first being is it fishable this time of year. I have read on here that it tends to get really shallow at the end of the year. Will there still be lots of Ice after this nice weekend? Will I need waders or will I be fine without them?

Any other suggestions or anything I am missing? Maybe suggested access for this time of year?

I was thinking of heading up to Fallen Timber area on easter Friday.

However I have never been up there and just have a couple of questions.

The first being is it fishable this time of year. I have read on here that it tends to get really shallow at the end of the year. Will there still be lots of Ice after this nice weekend? Will I need waders or will I be fine without them?

Any other suggestions or anything I am missing? Maybe suggested access for this time of year?

I was up in that area on Saturday the 4th and almost all of the smaller streams are still well covered with ice and not even close to being fishable. Unless mother nature really hits the area well with heat I think that you would be wasting the gas!!

I was up in that area on Saturday the 4th and almost all of the smaller streams are still well covered with ice and not even close to being fishable. Unless mother nature really hits the area well with heat I think that you would be wasting the gas!!

If it does open up this week expect brown dirty tanic acid stained water from surface runoff. Shaded areas will have huge ice shelfs which are not recommended to walk near. This late spring will be very frutrating for the fishing deprived here in west central region.

Well this news kind of puts a damber on my plans. I guess I should maybe go south instead? So now I am looking for suggestions on where to go that is close to Calgary (prefrable the north since it takes an hour to drive all the way south from my house). Are any of the lakes around Calgary ice free? or the small er streams? Or is the Bow my best bet? I have never tried to go fishing this early in the season but since I took up fly fishing I seem to want to fish a little bit more. :)

Things are a bit late this year. I don't think any of the lakes are open yet. The only streams available are the Bow, Crowsnest and Stauffer. If you are north of Calgary then Stauffer could be the closest for you, but it's a real tough stream to fish. The Bow is usually okay, there's lots of info on the board here as to what's working etc.