Fly Fusion Forums

Police Outpost Lake

Hola.....

Amybody had a look at Police??.......Are the ice fishermen having a field day there too??----We really gotta get that part of the regs changed.....

Al....

Guest tallieho

haven't been to Police but i to agree.Beaver lake get's hit very hard by ice fisher's. sure hope that someone brings this up at the Round table discussions.

----We really gotta get that part of the regs changed.....

On a similar vein, I noticed that the entry for Police Outpost in the 2009 Alberta Fishing Guide has not been updated to reflect the new regs -- unfortunate error. Terry

And while we are making the changes to the regs can we make that only people that only use Sage fly rods can fish it. You've helped changed the regs from a popular put and take bait lake to a limited harvest no bait lake and you're still not happy. I guess what you're saying if the fly anglers can't fish it, other methods shouldn't either even if they are following the regs. That's a bit of an me and methods only are right attitude

No it looks right.

Police (Outpost) Lake (8-1-26-W4)

Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait Ban.

Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED

Nick

In my previous post, I was referring to Barry Mitchell's 2009 Alberta Fishing Guide, not the Alberta Sport Fishing Regulations. In the former, there is no mention of the new special regulations for Police Outpost Lake, whereas the listings for Bullshead, Muir etc. have entries along the lines of "special catch & size limits, seasonal closure, bait ban." Terry

And while we are making the changes to the regs can we make that only people that only use Sage fly rods can fish it. You've helped changed the regs from a popular put and take bait lake to a limited harvest no bait lake and you're still not happy. I guess what you're saying if the fly anglers can't fish it, other methods shouldn't either even if they are following the regs. That's a bit of an me and methods only are right attitude

I'm not sure what you're going on about in your post, but if you're looking for a "put and take" lake with rainbows, I believe there are over 250 such lakes available in Alberta -- you shouldn't have any trouble finding one in your area. Having seven special regulation lakes in the entire province doesn't seem unreasonable. On second thought, it is unreasonable -- there should be many more special regulation lakes. Terry

As Terry says there are plenty enough put and take lakes in Alberta. If anything there should be more lakes with bait bans and zero limits.

I agree there should be a balance, but the way it is now it is lop-sided towards the meathunters.

Maybe you guys are misinterpreting what I said or I misinterpreted what adc meant. I'm not against zero limit lakes, I'm against trying to designated a lake as a fly fishing only lake. After rereading Al's post I believe he meant to change the regs to a zero limit. I thought he was put off by the method of angling. My bad

A guy from work went out there on saturday. He said the road in was pretty bad and had to put it in 4 wheel drive. He did punch some holes but said there was only one other pair of guys out there. He said the fish were slamming the wooly buggers hard. He also said there is a foot worth of snow and about 17" of ice left on the lake and it was snowing when he was leaving. I doubt there will be any open water for then next few weeks at least.

Maybe you guys are misinterpreting what I said or I misinterpreted what adc meant. I'm not against zero limit lakes, I'm against trying to designated a lake as a fly fishing only lake. After rereading Al's post I believe he meant to change the regs to a zero limit. I thought he was put off by the method of angling. My bad

I am not saying flyfishing only but I am opposed to ice fishing on a lake that is designated as a ¨quality fishery¨simply due to the mortality and release issues........As Terry said, there are lots of other choices and the regs are in place to protect the fish to allow them to grow past their usual 12¨¨ put-and-take size........If we need to keep this lake, and Bullshed closed an extra month to make sure that the spirit of what we´re trying to accomplish is achieved then so be it........I don´t give a damn about method but I´m willing to bet that most of the ice auger crowd are using garlic marshmallows or similar (pardon the slur) and that´s bait, that´s illegal and that increases mortality..........I could be wrong, but........

I am with Garlic on this one... for one week or two out of the year ice fishermen fish these lakes. Sure they take a few muddy tastin slabs out of the lake (I know because I tried eating one once). If you added up all the belly up fish from the light tippet club during the summer or the warm water fisherman I am sure it wouldn't even be close. I know for sure the Osprey eat good at Beaver because I have seen newbe flyfishers fight a fish to death just to add it to their tally card.Let's try enforcing the ones we have before making up some new ones. We all know the RAP line if we see infractions.

Guest Sundancefisher

I think with the new regulations you will still see a harvest regardless of who is fishing and what method they are using. Rather than argue as to when then can be harvested during a 365 day window less closures...you really only need to argue length. Once trout grow to their max size given water volume and food available and mortality and water temperature etc. you want to just maintain a quality fishery by having a large number of larger trout versus small recent stockers.

Everyone can benefit from this insofar as more bigger fish...great for the sportsman. More bigger fish of which harvest of 1 is allowed...great cause 1 over 50 is worth 9 - 12 inchers. Now it may take a few years to get them to that size but once they are there and the stocking numbers maintained appropriately...both groups benefit.

Total catch and release only really makes sense in a natural reproducing population. In a stocked lake...money payed to stock makes sense if fish are harvested at some point before they die. Makes good economic sense anyways. I personally would love to catch 10 lb rainbows all day and care less if a percentage died every year from natural causes. But we have to value all groups. I would say this is a good compromise for a percentage of all lakes in Alberta.

It would be nice to see more of these. I don't hear the old bait fishermen arguing about the quality of the fishery in Bullshead anymore. They sure did bitch in the beginning. Education and first hand experience proved what others were saying... If you let them grow...fishing is WAY MORE FUN!

Cheers

Sun

I have seen newbe flyfishers fight a fish to death just to add it to their tally card.

Getting a little off the focus here are we not? Off course there are people who do inappropriate things whether fly guys or gear slingers. For me it is about setting aside places to let some real monsters grow, for people using either of the two methods!

I am not saying flyfishing only but I am opposed to ice fishing on a lake that is designated as a ¨quality fishery¨simply due to the mortality and release issues........As Terry said, there are lots of other choices and the regs are in place to protect the fish to allow them to grow past their usual 12¨¨ put-and-take size........If we need to keep this lake, and Bullshed closed an extra month to make sure that the spirit of what we´re trying to accomplish is achieved then so be it........I don´t give a damn about method but I´m willing to bet that most of the ice auger crowd are using garlic marshmallows or similar (pardon the slur) and that´s bait, that´s illegal and that increases mortality..........I could be wrong, but........

Fisheries Management Branch of Sustainable Resource Management

developed a discussion paper, with input from the Provincial Fisheries

Management Round Table, on the subject of Quality Stocked Trout Fisheries

in the province. According to the Quality Stocked Fishery Survey Results September 2008 question 6, 55% of those surveyed believe that Winter angling should be available on quality stocked trout fisheries as long as the goals of quality fishery can still be. It did not sound like most of the ice auger crowd were using bait on Bullshead or on Police according to reports on this site either. AND Garlic marshmallows don't work that good either :) 1/64 oz jigs tied with olive marabou are killers when fishing for rainbows though the ice