Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Flex

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

I'm looking to replace my current single hand 6wt rig and I have a couple of questions regarding rod stiffness. As I understand it, a fast action rod is stiffer than a slow rod. This means a fast action rod bends closer to the tip than a softer rod. Do I have this right? So how would this translate into casting, particularly weighted rigs? As the rig gets heavier would it be benificial to use a faster or slower rod?

Also what difference would a shorter or longer rod make? I'm thinking about a 9'6" rod instead of the standard 9 footer.

I usually nymph fish without an indicator and I have no problem casting my weighted rig beyond what is practical. When I add an indicator however it's a whole different ball game. It's uncomfortable and cumbersome and I absolutely hate it. Soon enough, off comes the indicator and I then have much more confidence in my setup and that always translates into more fish, at least for me.

Any input would be much appreciated. As always, thanks so much for your help guys.

Neil

A fast rod is tip flex. This means the tip is soft and the rod is not (basically). 'Fast' refers to the taper of the blank. It goes from very thin to thick very fast.

Slow is the opposite. Stiff tip and soft rod (basically). The taper is much more gradual.

Fast/slow can also refer to recovery, which is different. If you want to wrap your head around it, check out this link.

http://www.common-cents.info/

If you have trouble casting an indi rig, you might like a slower rod. The progression of power is slower/smoother and loops a bit wider. Also, high sticking rods are usually slower as well. Check out rods labeled as medium fast or medium.

I agree that a medium fast action is probably best for nymphing. I do not think you would want a rod that is overly fast, as in a rod with a tip that is quite stiff. It is of course possible to have a rod with a tip that is soft enough to protect light tippets and at the same time responsive enough to be considered fast recovering.

I agree that a medium fast action is probably best for nymphing. I do not think you would want a rod that is overly fast, as in a rod with a tip that is quite stiff. It is of course possible to have a rod with a tip that is soft enough to protect light tippets and at the same time responsive enough to be considered fast recovering.

Brain,

Just curious how are the Opti Nymphs?

Brain,

Just curious how are the Opti Nymphs?

awesome rod, like most Loop's these have a smooth progressive action. Overall the rod is medium fast with tonnes of reserve power in the bottom end. The tip is slightly softer enabling great 'feel' and the ability to protect lighter tippets. This rod was designed specifically for the challenges that nymphing presents however is a great all around choice for casters not looking for the worlds fastest rod. Definately one of my favourite loop single handers.

Guest JayVee
Neil, you may also want to give consideration to the Opti Peak 11' 4wt. Greater line control with a longer rod is a big advantage in my opinion, for the type of high stick nymphing you describe.

Wow that Peak sure looks like a nice stick. Would you put a standard 6wt reel on it?

Guest JayVee
Wow that Peak sure looks like a nice stick. Would you put a standard 6wt reel on it?

My bad. I was thinking it's classified as a 4wt SPEY but it's a single hand rod. A 4 or 5wt reel then.

Speaking of rod flex, do you folks have any opinion about how many sections a rod has?

I have always had two piece rods unless it was a backpack rod. I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica and I am wondering if there is any "sacrifice" in performance with a four piece rod?

Let's hear your opinions.

Sure. There is increased weight and a disturbance of the taper. The convenience really outweighs the drawbacks, in my opinion. I doubt most people are picky enough to notice a significant difference, or care if there is one.