Fly Fusion Forums

Felt Soled Boots

Dunno about Alaska, but they are 100% banned in NZ.

Simms will not be offering any of their boots after 2009 in a felt format, they will be 100% vibram.

I've had the vibram boots for a while now, and they're outstanding. especially for the ice shelfs and snow, they are far superior to felts, and they grip as close to felt's as i've ever seen on the market. They are wicked for walking on wet grass hills and hiking long distances..best boots i've ever had

Leroy,

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/eonr/nr.cfm?id=1040

Beginning January 1, 2011, felt-soles will be prohibited from use in the fresh waters of Southeast Alaska. Although not documented in Alaska, travelling anglers have been found to transmit fish diseases.

At least they're giving everyone a fair warning, the NZ ban came very suddenly....Good for Alaska for taking a stand early to protect their resources

Banning of felt-soled boots is due to the transfer of aquatic diseases (such as whirling) and nuisances (such as the mud snail). The felt can actually trap this stuff for some time, which is why NZ and AK banned them. If you check out page 32 of the Feb. 2009 Fly Fisherman, you will see a review for the new Simms G4 Guide Boot which talks of this. It also mentions that TU is working with manufacturers to stop producing felt soles by 2011. Seems like some of the big manufacturers (Simms, Vibram, etc.) are taking this to heart and developing some really good technology.

Banning of felt-soled boots is due to the transfer of aquatic diseases (such as whirling) and nuisances (such as the mud snail). The felt can actually trap this stuff for some time, which is why NZ and AK banned them. If you check out page 32 of the Feb. 2009 Fly Fisherman, you will see a review for the new Simms G4 Guide Boot which talks of this. It also mentions that TU is working with manufacturers to stop producing felt soles by 2011. Seems like some of the big manufacturers (Simms, Vibram, etc.) are taking this to heart and developing some really good technology.

This is enough reason for me to hang up my felt boots. I never liked felt anyway.. they never seemed to help me from slipping around in the bow.

If more provinces and states ban felt it that will cause a shift sooner rather than later. I think this is the right thing to do.

I just heard that felt soled boots have been banned in Alaska.

Has anyone else heard that?

I know that Simms is pushing hard to do away with all felts.

Finally!  It is about time.  

I was very concerned that the climate change scientists might have to find productive employment until the economy improves.  These 'scientists' are the same hardy bunch that have built their careers on such wonderful 'science' such as: Coffee drinking linked to cancer, Bacon eating linked to cancer, 'insert name of anything ingested' linked to cancer, mobile phone use linked to brain cancer, high voltage power lines linked to cancer, 'insert any ubiquitous man-made item in the atmosphere' linked to cancer. 

The key to this 'science' is to: 

1. Select a known outcome or result that is bad (or will be seen as bad). 

2. Next, ensure that the real cause of this outcome can never be conclusively proved or disproved. 

3. Identify the group that will most fear the outcome or result.  It needs to be a large group and one that feels that they will or could be negatively affected by the outcome (the group has to believe it).  This is why the cancer and global warming causes are the best of all time.

4. Appeal to people's feelings of guilt.

5. Find a 'culprit' that people can get on board with, and go after it/them.  You must also ensure that the average person can 'chip-in' without much personal effort (best case is if they aren't inconvenienced too much by the changes but can do something they'd secretly want to do anyway and then feel good about it (this is where the 'cell-phone use causes cancer' scientists really blew it).

6. Convince people that they can actually prevent the result.  This really isn't that hard as most people are willing to believe anything as long as it seems plausible and involves 'science' (Note: actually having the ability to prevent the outcome is not important. See every result listed above)

7. Whatever you do, make sure that there will be a group that can financially benefit from the change, because you'll need someone to both fund your 'scientific work' and to lobby for the changes and if necessary, lobby against anyone that will be negatively impacted by the change.  

In this case we have all the elements required with the evil felt bottomed wading boot.  The result is that aquatic nuisance species are being transported from one water body to another.  The science here is pretty good.  How are these being transported?  The scientists could presnet a reasonable case that it is fishermen travelling from one location to another.  But that puts too much of the blame on one of the key stakeholders they need on board (fishermen).  So, target the equipment they wear, not the activity or the fishermen themselves. 

The 'scientists' then went to work on finding out what equipment they could show has the potential for transporting the organisms from one location to the other (need money for some studies - see item 7).  This is where they hit a bit of a troublesome point in the crusade on two fronts.  The results of the 'scientific' studies showed that Didymo, Whirling disease and other organisms can attach themselves to waders, fishing nets, fishing gloves, fishing vests, laces, shoe materials (including the felt), and even in between insoles and foot bed of wading shoes.  Essentially, the only way to prevent the result was to stop people from wading - this would never get support from the two key stakeholders; fishermen and equipment suppliers.  This is where the 'scientists' needed to rely on their 'consultants'.  The consultants work with the equipment suppliers to some up with a solution.  In this case, the equipment suppliers look at the list of culprits above and hone in on wading boots - specifically the felt soles.  It just so happens that felt has been around forever, and, while it works fine, they have been working on a better material - because they just aren't selling those boots like they used to.  Unfortunately, it is more expensive and they just can?t seem to convince fisherman (who normally have no problem wasting money on overpriced fishing equipment) to pay twice as much for a boot with marginally better performance.  Turns out though, that fisherman really do love to waste money as long as they can justify it.  What better justification then, "Your felt soles will kill every fish in the country."  Et Voila!  A cause is born. 

But what about the equipment manufacturers?  What could they possibly gain by every fly fisherman in the world having to buy a new pair of wading boots in the next two years? 

Stay tuned.  It is rumoured that 'scientists' are on the verge of proving that low-definition, CRT based, non-flat screen televisions cause testicular cancer.