Fly Fusion Forums

How Far Would Hike In A Day To Go Fishing ?

...that's a hell of a hike!

It isn't very steep until the last 7km from junction of Job Creek, it is more of a horse trail. The main issue with the trial is that you cross Corral Creek 12 times or something and it is fast current and 2-3 feet deep. Not much of an issue on a warm day, but the Lake is only open in August and the weather is real unpredictable up there for August. I would definately recommend it though for anyone looking for an easier long distance hike. The lake is gorgeous as is the valley you follow in. Only issue is that upon arrival we found 3 drunk, out of shape middle aged men with 2 flats of beer left. They had been dropped off for a couple days of fishin and camping and had been fishing the upper lake for a day or two without catching anything. They were bummed when we let them know that we heard the upper lake is devoid of fish...I suppose that was their karma for throwing empty beer cans all over the place.

Also, last year I returned to Rainy Ridge Lake and made it in. If you follow the correct trail (which is very hard to find) it is a steep, but very short hike. We made it in a couple hours. Unfortunately the average fish seemed about 10 inches in length. Scenic though.

post-1913-1238701303.jpg

could you ride in on a mountian bike??

There are sections you could ride, unfortunately much of the trail is washed out, and there are many short but fairly steep sections. Although there would be a lot of carrying your bike involved, you could probably save a fair bit of time by riding. Once you reach the Job Creek junction you would have to ditch your ride and hike the remain 7km or so up as it gets much sketchier. if you are taking a bike in there you would probably want to be careful as we encountered quite a few hunters, outfitters on horseback. The ride out would be amazing as it is fairly low gradient for the most part and rolling thorough the valley.

It isn't very steep until the last 7km from junction of Job Creek, it is more of a horse trail. The main issue with the trial is that you cross Corral Creek 12 times or something and it is fast current and 2-3 feet deep. Not much of an issue on a warm day, but the Lake is only open in August and the weather is real unpredictable up there for August. I would definately recommend it though for anyone looking for an easier long distance hike. The lake is gorgeous as is the valley you follow in. Only issue is that upon arrival we found 3 drunk, out of shape middle aged men with 2 flats of beer left. They had been dropped off for a couple days of fishin and camping and had been fishing the upper lake for a day or two without catching anything. They were bummed when we let them know that we heard the upper lake is devoid of fish...I suppose that was their karma for throwing empty beer cans all over the place.

Also, last year I returned to Rainy Ridge Lake and made it in. If you follow the correct trail (which is very hard to find) it is a steep, but very short hike. We made it in a couple hours. Unfortunately the average fish seemed about 10 inches in length. Scenic though.

Lake Loomis is fantastic but following the trail up, you're mainly in the forest with not much of a view of the surrounding scenery. I guess that would have been less of an issue if I'd had more time to enjoy the scenery once I'd broken out of the forest. :blush:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Click here if the movie does not play.

My god I need that pack. I could bring in all my rods and gear wherever I go. Truly an amazing product!

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Click here if the movie does not play.